Pizza

Options
Does anyone know how many calories you save if you blot the grease off the top of pizza?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    very little, may a couple dozen at most.
  • amk44
    amk44 Posts: 159
    Options
    Nope, but I recently discovered Flatout flatbread as the crust when making my own pizza, and got the general directions for making a pizza from their site. (The light Italian has only 90 calories in a piece.) I used lowfat sauce and mozzarella and I totally enjoyed having a food that I thought should be in my "avoid or just have a taste" list as I try to take off some pounds. I made one for my husband and one for me; and I included more meat on his.

I made a whole piece of flatbread for me, but discovered that, as good as it was, I only needed half to feel satisfied. My husband enjoyed his so much that he stole the remainder of mine that I had put in the frig to enjoy later. LOL Hope this gives you some ideas...
  • emilyfh
    emilyfh Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I know you can save a whole lot of calories using a whole wheat pita as crust :laugh: and making your own pizzas with lots of veggies, chicken, canadian bacon, the list goes on and on.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I recall one of those Mythbuster type shows, or maybe it was a Food Detectives episode, that went into it. Like erickirb said, you don't save much. Maybe 30cals?

Here's an article that might help you: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=56464

There are some suggestions in there. If you are worried about how much extra you are ingesting from the pizza, instead of pepperoni or sausage, try ham or canadian bacon. I like a ham and green pepper combo. Adding on veggies can help add fiber and bump up your veggie tally. And of course, avoid the pizzas that have a lot of grease added - like deep dish pizzas.
  • Jglover30
    Options
    I always get thin crust and try to avoid meat toppings all together. Still not a super healthy meal but I am incapable of giving up pizza!
  • jquintinjr
    jquintinjr Posts: 191
    Options
    for a normal dominos slice you save roughly 30kcal and a large Sicilian slice you can save almost 100kcal. fat/grease is 9kcal per gram so figure it in terms of 1 penny = 1 gram (size wise) and estimate