Numb Toes

Options
Anyone else experience numb toes on the elliptical? Treadmill is no problem but toes go numb after 10 mins.

Replies

• EvilShenanigansTX
    EvilShenanigansTX Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    i did and it was from a poor stance, and from not using my whole foot with each stride. That means that I was leaning forward so my weight was centered on the balls of my feet and I was not striding from heel to toe. I have adjusted my stance, centering my weight by taking a few strides without holding the handles, and then I make sure to stride from heel to toe.

This helped me. Also, good shoes that are not tied too tight.

Hope these help you!
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    That's funny, the elliptical gives me no trouble at all. My toes go numb when I run or walk for long distances. Orthotics have helped. New Balance shoes built on the S2 form help. Nothing really prevents it entirely. When I walked a half-marathon I could barely feel the toes in my right foot by the end.

If you find a solution please share it!
  • fortinfitness
    fortinfitness Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    1) Are you diabetic or is diabetes in the family?

2) Do you have bunions or hammer toes?

I was borderline diabetic before losing 100 pounds. At the beginning, my toe was constantly numb after exercise, and my orthopedic surgeon told me it was the beginnings or neuropathy (mostly caused by the bunions from being overweight and having flat feet, but exacerbated by diabetes). However, since losing my weight my feet are fine (orthotics from my doctor helped, too). Any cardio I do it with my sneakers with the orthotics. But weight training, I try to do it barefoot or with flat-soled shoes since I can't do squat (literally!) without losing balance if I'm wearing shoes.

Either way, check with a podiatrist or ortho, even a chiro, and get orthotics. Best investment in my case.

FWIW.
  • Jillscreative
    Jillscreative Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow Yes and Yes.
    I am newly diagnosed diabetic type 2 and have always had challenging feet. Mainly toes. Thanks for the heads up I will be careful.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    You might try changing the way you're lacing your sneakers too. Sometimes the numbness is just from pressure as your foot swells from the exercise. That happened to me when I got a new pair of running shoes... 30 minutes into a run, my feet would start to go numb.

Here's what I do now, and I've had no issues since making the change:

http://www.altrazerodrop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaticContentView?langId=-1&storeId=15151&catalogId=18952&pageTitle=Alternate+Lacing&pageName=AlternateLacing
  • kittyhorn
    kittyhorn Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm not diabetic but it does run in my family. Both sides with type 2.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Loosen your laces.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    You might try changing the way you're lacing your sneakers too. Sometimes the numbness is just from pressure as your foot swells from the exercise. That happened to me when I got a new pair of running shoes... 30 minutes into a run, my feet would start to go numb.

http://www.altrazerodrop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaticContentView?langId=-1&storeId=15151&catalogId=18952&pageTitle=Alternate+Lacing&pageName=AlternateLacing

Interesting... gonna try this :)
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options

This guy gets the gold star :bigsmile: