best vegetarian protein powder (non-soy)

Options
The best vegetarian, non-soy protein powder (preferably w/out sugar-substitutes) I have found is Plant Fusion (http://plantfusion.net/chocolate.html). Don't bother with any flavor other than chocolate. Seriously. Don't. But it's quite pricey. Anyone have any alternative suggestions?

Replies

• jocmw
    jocmw Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the Spiru-tein Gold line. Their main line of powders is really good and has a lot of flavors, but the Gold line is soy, gluten and sugar free. I mainly use the vanilla, but there is also chocolate, banana berry, chocolate cherry, strawberry and tropical fruit. There is no soy or whey, so the protein comes from chia, rice, pea and flax. Plus, it has spirulina and most of your other essential vitamins. They aren't quite as high in protein as non-vegan powders, but I usually add some PB2 or other protein sources with it.

Jocelyn
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    nobody? :-(
  • ironmonkeystyle
    Options
    aww- thanks JOCMW!! :-)
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Pea protein is pretty good. It is (as the name suggests) legume-based. It's vegan, soy free, dairy free, gluten free. I've only ever had the chocolate version.
  • ironmonkeystyle
    Options
    Here's the link to the gold line: http://www.naturesplus.com/products/pdf/45297.pdf
  • FitSid
    FitSid Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I recently purchased this online http://www.uproar.org.au/uproar-shop/#health (the Sunwarrior Raw Vegan Protein Powder), but it haven't tried it before and shall let you know if you'd like?

:D
  • smp4463
    smp4463 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    PurePea is good
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I like Raw Protein by Garden of Life.

It has (all organic) brown rice sprout, amaranth sprout, quinoa sprout, millet sprout, buckwheat sprout, garbanzo bean sprout, lentil sprout, adzuki bean sprout, flax seed sprout, sunflower seed sprout, pumpkin seed sprout, chia seed sprout, sesame seed sprout. I find it much easier to digest than the soy and pea proteins I've tried.
  • elizak87
    elizak87 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I use a pea protein powder. Admittedly I am in Australia but the brand is rich in health. I have the vanilla so I can put it in shakes or pancakes or other reciepes but the strawberry and chocolate are nice too.
  • colorfulcupcakes
    colorfulcupcakes Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I like Vega Sport, vanilla flavour! It's a mixture of pea, hemp, alfalfa, and a couple of other proteins. http://vegasport.com/en/recover/performance-protein
  • RawVeganFlirt
    RawVeganFlirt Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    garden of life raw protein powder!! i had chocolate and i loved it. reasonably priced, free of everything.. doesn't get much better :)
  • 4Phoenix
    4Phoenix Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Sunwarrior "Warrior Blend"
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    I only purchase the NutriBiotic rice proteins. It doesn't have soy, no pea, and no chlorella and whatever else in Vega that tore my stomach to bits.

I like the Berry the best, but I buy chocolate and vanilla. Then I add Amazing Grass Chocolate for my wheat grass (gluten free!) and barley plus others. Good luck!
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I use Jay Robb's Whey protein powder (unflavored).
  • orangelobster
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is legal in your country but this is what I used for quite a while - it doesn't mix super well (you have to blend it rather than just hand shake) but it's good with baking as well. It's made from ground up hemp seeds which doesn't actually dissolve. (to be honest, I'm so hungry all the time that I don't really care lol)

Manitoba Harvest Hemp Protein Powder - Hemp Protein Powder

It is official Vegan I believe.
  • kerrylee54
    Options
    Garden of Life Raw Protein is my favorite brand.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I use Manitoba Harvest Hemp Pro70 Protein powder. I drink it at least 5 times per week. When I first tried it, it was the WORST tasting stuff on earth, now I love it--it's non flavored...BUT because I mix it with a ton of stuff and it now tastes like a yummy real chocolate shake. Here's what I use:

Manitoba Harvest Hemp Protein Powder - Hemp Pro 70, 4 Tbsp
    Amazing Grace Barley Grass, Wheat Grass, & Alfalfa Whole Food Drink Powder, Gluten Free - Green Supplement, 1 gm scoop
    Trader Joe's - Blueberries- Wild, Organic-Frozen, 0.25 Cup
    So Delicious - Coconut Milk Icecream Vanilla Bean, 1/4 cup
    Trader Joe's - Frozen Mango Chunks , 3 pieces (140g)
    Trader Joe's Fancy Berry Medley (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries) - Frozen Fruit, 3/8 cup (140 gm)
    Trader Joe"S Rice Drink Vanilla - Rice Milk, 0.25 cup
    Good Karma - Flax Milk (Vanilla), 0.25 cup

If this is too thick for you, you can add a wee bit of water to the mix

This is 298 cals and sooooo utterly yummy too.
  • erin4609
    erin4609 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I really like brown rice protein powder. Pea and soy can cause flatulance (not fun for anybody) I have the Nutribiotic Rice Protein Powder, chocolate flavor of course! The only thing is that it is not sweetened but I add stevia to it. And it wasn't too pricey if I recall correctly
  • erin4609
    erin4609 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Love that protein powder! but I make it a treat because it's a little pricey
  • SophieSLP
    SophieSLP Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My favorite vegetarian (not vegan though) protein powder is the vanilla egg white protein by Jay Robb. By far my favorite!