what about atkins diet?

Options
Do u think it workS? did anyone try it? please tell me your stories!

Replies

• lyndalpn
    lyndalpn Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Short term it works as far as Kg lost, but it is not a long term way of life. Atkins has a high long term failure rate and is not a balanced way of eating long term IMHO. So while you may lose weight fast, you may not keep it off. I think there are better ways to go.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I've seen it done but I personally found it way too restrictive. If you want to cut carbs, then cut carbs. Less process sugar, pasta, rice, bread, etc. If you have a serious craving, try shirataki noodles.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Short term it works as far as Kg lost, but it is not a long term way of life. Atkins has a high long term failure rate and is not a balanced way of eating long term IMHO. So while you may lose weight fast, you may not keep it off. I think there are better ways to go.

All diets are the same, Sure you lose weight while on them but as soon as you go back to normal eating you gain it back and then some.
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    It works quite well. I've lived on it for quite a while. What finally dropped me out of the program is that it's EXPENSIVE and I had moved out on my own, and was the only income in the household. Just couldn't afford to keep up with the program.

The nice thing for me was that even at the six month mark, it was working just as well as it did at the start. I have to watch most of the "diet" plans, because my body typically adjusts to the nutrient/caloric intake within a six month window, and instead of continuing to loose, I start skyrocketing. The Adkins plan kept me from doing that.

Just remember to drink LOTS of fluids, and if you have any kidney issues, talk to your doctor first. You will be producing ketone bodies which some people have trouble clearing. Especially if you have any kidney problems. That's the only down side, except the cost of keeping that much meat and/or pure protein in the house.

Good luck, and I look forward to reading more about your journey!

K
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I did 6 months on a low carb thing, not Atkins exactly but less than 50g a day, mostly "Low GI" carbs, here is my take:

Initial drop of water weight, reduced hunger helped maintain a calorie deficit, it got me back in touch with my true feelings of hunger, satiety and reset my 'sweet tooth'. I also enjoyed going nuts on the bacon and fats in general :)

If I were to do it again then I would think there would be no need to be THAT restrictive on the carbs (especially the less processed kind) as long as I were maintaining the calorie deficit.

There was no magic to it, it's just another, perfectly valid, means to an end IMO.

Poke yer nose in here if you like, plenty of support and opinion ...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/411-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group-
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I did it several years ago, and it make me very sick. I couldn't stay out of the bathroom and had no energy. Needless to say, after 2 weeks I was done with it!!
  • lmbs1966
    lmbs1966 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I tried it several years ago and it worked, I lost 56 lbs in 4 months, but the first three days to a week you feel really tired, the food choices are so limited it gets boring fast, and the minute you fall off the diet, you gain weight. It took me about three years to gain that weight back, I tried doing it again, but gained weight on it that time, so never again. I have mfp now, makes me feel accountable, I can eat what I want as long as I stay in my cal range. On Atkins you can't have fruit or bread, pasta or potatoes which I found was not easy to avoid eating. I am much happier just keeping track on mfp. Hope this helps.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    tried low carb a long time ago for health benefits, saw none. Lost 10 pounds in 4 to 6 weeks, not good when you only weigh 100 pounds. Back to sugar and carbs.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    meh

EAT

SMASH THINGS

REPEAT
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    It works short term, but it is NOT maintainable in the long haul. Once you go off it most gain the weight back and then some more.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I didn't even go as low as atkins levels...I went down to 100g net per day ( from 200g+ per day) and lost 8lbs the first month, 5lbs the second month, 5lbs the third month, 4lbs the fourth month. That is 22lbs in 4 months. Before I cut carbs, it took me 3 months to lose 7 lbs. I havent had much loss in the last 3 months due to some asthma medication i had to start taking :(
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Count calories. Restrict bad fats and processed food only. Otherwise eat whatever you want.
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    it tastes terrible haha. It will work, but can you maintain a lifestyle like that. It takes more than just saying okay I'll stay on until I reach my goal and then I'll get off and eat whatever I want. You will not succseed(sp?). I thought about it and when you sign up on their sight they will give you three of their bars. That was a turn off for me because they are yucky taste artificial. However if you are considering a program maybe you should try medifast. I was seriously considering this but the money was my deciding factor. I chose Weight Watchers.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    It worked for me, but I couldn't maintain and gained it all back. I was 19, moved out of the parental house, spent most of my paycheck on meats and non-carb veggies, and worked out. I lost 90 pounds in 18 months. If you can change your way of eating and adhere for the REST OF YOUR LIFE, it will work and the weight won't return, but it is VERY hard to do.
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    If you're interested in atkins, look into eating paleo instead. That IS sustainable, and aside from weight stuff, I have the most energy when I eat that way, or eat mostly that way. It basically means grain free and eating clean.
  • SteAnnMui
    SteAnnMui Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I did do Atkins in the past and I am doing it again. When I did it in the past it helped me get to my goal weight, and I was able to maintain within 5 lbs for months. Even with going off it, I learned good habits like staying away from sugar and too many carbs, which contributed to my maintenance.

Then after a big move, a husband who couldn't find a job, and getting pregnant and living off Mr. Noodle, I got to my highest weight ever. I'm back on it again because I know it works. I did it for four months and lost 23 lbs, took a break, only gained a few back in 4 months, and now I'm back at it for the past week and seeing losses.

Of course if when you're done losing weight you go back to eating junk all the time you will gain it back. Maintenance is about taking what you've learned during weight loss so you can sustain your results.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    It's not really sustainable. Almost everybody gains any weight lost right back when they stop eating strict Atkins. Better to eat a balanced diet and sticking to a calorie deficit.

ETA: This is from personal experience.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Very bad for long term; your body will not be getting adequate nutrition. You really need vegetables and fruit in your daily diet to get adequate nutrition; also you can really harm your liver with Adkins...
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    It used to be my diet of choice because it always worked, but I could never stick to maintenance, so always gained the weight back and then some. This time I'm just eating fewer carbs, particularly processed carbs, so we'll see if I'm better able to stick to it. I do find myself craving sugar this time, tho, which I didn't do in the past, but because I'm counting everything, I can fit some sugar in most days. Not sure it's a great idea, but it's working so far.
  • Alli4Chocolate
    Alli4Chocolate Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am on the atkins diet. It works for me. There are 4 phases. The first 2 weeks are retrictive but as time goes on you are allowed to start including in your diet fruit, nuts, and some breads. Many people think that they are to live on the, "The Induction Stage," that is the first 2 weeks.

I am not real strict on the Atkins. I had Doctor who specializes in Nutrition and he told me to go on a Low Carb diet. He himself does a low carb, but as he admitted once a week he has a donut and a BIg Mac. You can't deprvie yourself. I have once a week splurge.

If you get off any diet you are going to gain wieght. It is not a diet but a change of eating. I have no problem eating vegatables, salads, cheese and lean meats and excluding sugar and processed white flour. As I said I do have my splurge. I just don't go crazy.