Chamomile Tea-For Panic Attacks/Anxiety??

I have been suffering the last past few days & nites with Panic/Anxiety attacks...It is making me scared to try and go to sleep because when I lay down for some reason that is when I can feel them coming on. The last past 2 nites I have waken up about 3 times each nite in panic. I have been under quite a bit of stress lately and was wondering if anyone else has heard of drinking Chamomile Tea for stress, anxiety/panic? I am on central standard time and it is almost 9 pm here...Is it too late to brew me a cup as I don't need anything else keeping me from sleeping...Please advise!! :ohwell:

Replies

• lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Chamomile is considered a bed time tea, so drinking some shouldn't keep you up. It isn't known for reducing anxiety, but it won't hurt you to have a cup.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    My doctor recommended Chamomile Tea when I was having trouble sleeping. It should soothe your nerves and make you drowsy. For the best result, let it steep for a long while so it's nice and strong.
  • JessicaBR0
    JessicaBR0 Posts: 256 Member
    I don't know about the tea and I know its too late for you now, but I used to have really bad anxiety until I started high intensity workouts. I try to workout out 40min to an hour a day and it really has improved my anxiety. Not sure if this is helpful, just sharing what has worked for me.
  • mwillis8002
    mwillis8002 Posts: 70 Member
    I have suffered from nighttime anxiety and panic attacks. I would drink a cup of chamomile tea and it usually worked to calm me. I like to listen to relaxing music, usually sounds of the sea or something along those lines. Also you could try some pm yoga, it focuses on relaxation and breathing to help you let the things of the day go. I like the gaim one. One other thing you could try is to write in a journal just before bed. Write down everything you're worried or stressed about and then try to forget about it, it's written down so your mind doesn't have to keep on thinking about it. Last resort intake an OTC sleep aid, but oly if I could get 8 hrs of sleep. I don't really like taking it as it makes me feel groggy in the morning, and I didn't want to get addicted to it. But it helped me sleep sounder through the night. I would also talk to your doctor, they might prescribe you something like Xanax for immediate relief or Zoloft to control the anxiety on a day to day basis.

Hope that helps! And I hope you can get some rest!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    My sister suffers from anxiety and panic attacks, and she is always drinking chamomile. I don't know if someone told her to or if she just likes it. I'll have to ask.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,674 Member
    Scary!
    I have experienced anxiety before. It was probably a "mild" case of it, but it sure got my attention.
    I used St.John's Wort extract in capsules. That worked very, very well.
    I also took vitamin d3, and fish oil capsules.
    I took this combination for a total of 3 months before tapering off.
    Hope you feel better soon!
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Chamomile tea has helped me. Also, melatonin supplements, which are a sleep aid, so need to be taken right at bedtime.

Here is a link to another tea I have that does seem to help me relax - I don't like it as well as chamomile, but it isn't bad at all.

http://www.celestialseasonings.com/products/herbal-teas/tension-tamer

Also, I have read a number of times that there is a link between low magnesium and anxiety. Magnesium can be absorbed through the skin. So a warm bath in epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) might help you, I believe it has helped me.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Chamomile has known relaxation qualities.. I drink sleepy-time vanilla tea by celestial seasonings.. I use a tsp of honey in it.. Also, slow deep breathing helps.. Close eyes and just focus on breathing in thru your nose and exhaling slowly from your mouth...

Don't just take my word for it... University of Pennsylvania, a top notch IV league school did a study. See link below...

http://www.naturalnews.com/034454_chamomile_anxiety_depression.html
  • alikona22
    alikona22 Posts: 56 Member
    Chamomile can be calming, but it depends on how much anxiety you have. Several posters already recommended some good advice that I'll reiterate and add to as well. I have anxiety and have found that for me, I need to be on anti-anxiety meds. Everyone's different; some people need it for short periods of time to get through stressful events, others need to be on a certain level overall. Here's a few, non-medical ways to deal with anxiety:
    - work out!! A good workout will decrease stress and help you sleep better at night.
    - Avoid chocolate, caffeine, and sugar after 5pm. Avoid eating after 9pm. Everyone's different, but I find I sleep best when I cut off my caffeine intake by 5. Plus I avoid eating too close to bed time.
    - Journal, pray, meditate, read for at least 15 minutes before bed. Helps to shut your brain down and switch into sleep mode. Also avoid TV screens as it can radiate a lot of light and make it harder for your brain to switch to bedtime mode.
    - 4-7-8 breathing. Breathe in for 4, hold for 7, breathe out for 8. When I was having panic attacks, this was the major, non-medication intervention that helped me.
    - Progressive muscle relaxation. You tense each muscle group and hold for 8 seconds, then release. Start with your toes, then calves, then knee caps, then quads, then buttocks, then abs, then pecs/shoulder. You may be able to find a video online that walks you through it.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Ok I looked and the studies done on chamomile and anxiety were German Chamomile in the capsule form. Not sure if what you get in a tea is going to be strong enough.
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Chamomile tea, lavender oil, will help relax the mind. However, it is important to understand the root of your panic attack. Too much stress? Learn to de-stress, do some yoga stretch, breathing exercise. That might help too.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Chamomile tea has helped me. Also, melatonin supplements, which are a sleep aid, so need to be taken right at bedtime.

Here is a link to another tea I have that does seem to help me relax - I don't like it as well as chamomile, but it isn't bad at all.

http://www.celestialseasonings.com/products/herbal-teas/tension-tamer

Also, I have read a number of times that there is a link between low magnesium and anxiety. Magnesium can be absorbed through the skin. So a warm bath in epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) might help you, I believe it has helped me.
    Melatonin is a great help for sleep.. However, more is not better for melatonin. Lower doses actually work better... I used to get irritable with 3 mg so i cut them ink half and it worked better. Magnesium is a muscle relaxant and i supplement with magnesium... A recent study found many people are magnesium deficient. However, it relaxes ALL muscles including involuntary ones such as your bowels, so adjust to it slowly if you take it orally.
    Another suggestion is to get orange light bulbs for your bedside light. Orange light blocks out all blue light which can prevent sleeping.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Chamomile can be calming, but it depends on how much anxiety you have. Several posters already recommended some good advice that I'll reiterate and add to as well. I have anxiety and have found that for me, I need to be on anti-anxiety meds. Everyone's different; some people need it for short periods of time to get through stressful events, others need to be on a certain level overall. Here's a few, non-medical ways to deal with anxiety:
    - work out!! A good workout will decrease stress and help you sleep better at night.
    - Avoid chocolate, caffeine, and sugar after 5pm. Avoid eating after 9pm. Everyone's different, but I find I sleep best when I cut off my caffeine intake by 5. Plus I avoid eating too close to bed time.
    - Journal, pray, meditate, read for at least 15 minutes before bed. Helps to shut your brain down and switch into sleep mode. Also avoid TV screens as it can radiate a lot of light and make it harder for your brain to switch to bedtime mode.
    - 4-7-8 breathing. Breathe in for 4, hold for 7, breathe out for 8. When I was having panic attacks, this was the major, non-medication intervention that helped me.
    - Progressive muscle relaxation. You tense each muscle group and hold for 8 seconds, then release. Start with your toes, then calves, then knee caps, then quads, then buttocks, then abs, then pecs/shoulder. You may be able to find a video online that walks you through it.

And if these don't work - don't be too scared to get help from your dr! Believe me, antianxiety medication is the best thing I ever did for myself.
  • Allup2Me78
    Allup2Me78 Posts: 589 Member
    I currently take Celexa and it is not preventing them..But this all just started like yesterday. I used to have them really bad in the past but now they are back and I feel horrible because the after effects of the attacks all nite last nite...My head feels weird and it is like I am kind of off balance and just not myself.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    I currently take Celexa and it is not preventing them..But this all just started like yesterday. I used to have them really bad in the past but now they are back and I feel horrible because the after effects of the attacks all nite last nite...My head feels weird and it is like I am kind of off balance and just not myself.

How long have you been taking Celexa for?
  • Allup2Me78
    Allup2Me78 Posts: 589 Member
    i have been on Celexa the least amount of time of any of the meds I have been on..Maybe a year 1/2..That's all...
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    I have sleep problems and anxiety attacks OCD and depression I take citalipram and tamazipan but I drink lemon tea as well as chamomile tea it really helps me. Good luck
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Vitamin D has made a world of difference for me.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    I have been suffering the last past few days & nites with Panic/Anxiety attacks...It is making me scared to try and go to sleep because when I lay down for some reason that is when I can feel them coming on. The last past 2 nites I have waken up about 3 times each nite in panic. I have been under quite a bit of stress lately and was wondering if anyone else has heard of drinking Chamomile Tea for stress, anxiety/panic? I am on central standard time and it is almost 9 pm here...Is it too late to brew me a cup as I don't need anything else keeping me from sleeping...Please advise!! :ohwell:

Magnesium citrate, 400mg daily but only with your doctor's blessings. I'm not a doctor.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member

Magnesium citrate, 400mg daily but only with your doctor's blessings. I'm not a doctor.

Were do I get them please