I Need Encouragement.

Options
Have you ever been in the situation where you wake up one morning, lie in bed for a few minutes staring at the ceiling then suddenly you say to yourself, "Good gosh, I feel fat."
That's me.
My friends have been telling me for the longest time that I look super skinny, but I know that they're just trying to be nice. I need to lose at least 25 lbs. I keep trying to express to my friends that I don't just want to be "skinny", I want to be strong and have muscle definition. But if I bring up or even hint at wanting to go on any kind of diet, my friends tell me that I'm just being stupid and vain. I feel like they don't support me at all in this endeavor, and frankly, it sucks.
So here I am.
I'm a girl, 5'11, 185 pounds, (not at all ashamed to admit it publicly) and the poster child for the mesomorphic body type.
I want to weigh 155-160 pounds, but I am not going to starve myself or go on any danger diets to get to that point. I'm patient enough to lose the weight at a safe pace.
I have a slight double chin and this annoying belly and thigh fat that never seems to go away. I want a six pack more than anything else in the world, and I have the determination to get it. I just need the proper road map, and most of all, I need encouragement.

Replies

• AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Honestly, your friends might truly believe that you look good and don't want to lose weight, but this is about you feeling comfortable in your own skin. From what it sounds like your weight loss goals are healthy ones so I think you should definitely go for it because it will help you to feel more secure and confident. I know that I have my share of friends who are not particularly supportive of me doing this. I think it's mainly because it affects my ability to go out to eat and to the bars with them. That's why this site it so great! MFP is full of people who are trying to achieve the same, or similar, goals and we're just here to help each other. I don't necessarily have a road map for you since I am new to my weight loss journey as well, but I can offer encouragement and support. Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like! I know you can do this and I'm sure that eventually your friends will see the positives in the changes you're making and begin to support and encourage you as well. :smile:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    strength training, strength training and more strength training!
  • libbymcbain
    libbymcbain Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Hello

Go for it! It will make you happy. I would recommend:

*Master Your Metabolism by Jillian Michaels
    *Master Your Metabolism Cookbook by Jillian Michaels
    *30 Day Shred Exercise DVD, also by Jillian

Using these in combination has taken me from 199 to 176 in about 4 months. It's definitely not about starving yourself or "dieting" but about finding a healthy, sustainable way of eating and moving, where you can still enjoy food and where your aim is overall health not skinniness.

My husband, who is 5'11 and weighed about 170 when I started this, eats kind of the same as me now to support me (?although he has off plan stuff at work and much bigger portions than me), now weighs 164 and has a six pack. He was never, ever overweight, but the combination of eating right and going to gym 2 or 3 times a week (on top of his previous 2 or 3 times a week swimming) has given him a six pack really quickly.

N.B. she recommends eating 1 oz of dark chocolate a day as part of the programme, so it really isn't hard to stick to. And the marinated chicken with almond satay sauce is delicious!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I'll be your friend. Im 5'10 and I weigh... i dont know anymore, I give up on that stupid scale - somewhere between 165 and 170. I havent lost any weight in over two years, but Ive chopped my body fat % in half and (44 to 22) and went from a size 12 to a 7/8. I can help if youd like. I need more tall girls around me.
  • ndearing0501
    ndearing0501 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm supportive and fun! Feel free to add me if you'd like! I'm looking to tone up and gain more definition!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    strength training, strength training and more strength training!

YUP I like this answer and the one above it. :) You can do it if you decide.
  • SugarQueen_x
    Options
    Thank you. =) I appreciate it. <3
  • SugarQueen_x
    Options
    I'll be your friend. Im 5'10 and I weigh... i dont know anymore, I give up on that stupid scale - somewhere between 165 and 170. I havent lost any weight in over two years, but Ive chopped my body fat % in half and (44 to 22) and went from a size 12 to a 7/8. I can help if youd like. I need more tall girls around me.

Yup. Us tall chicks should stick together. Haha! Any tips or suggestions I can get are appreciated. =)
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    Options
    Well stop calling it a diet and tell them you are being more conscience of what you put in your mouth as your goal is to have a six pack.

Best of luck, you seem determined so GO GET IT!
  • cheshire29
    Options
    Another tall chick here (5'10") and I am definitely looking to have a more toned look when I finish as well. I have quite a few more pounds to lose than you. Feel free to add me as a friend and we can motivate each other!
  • viki1123
    viki1123 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I love hearing from us tall ladies.

I'm 5'9 and (before Thanksgiving... week...) weigh 169. I'm trying to get down to 150 as well.

Running has supplemented my calorie deficit but I strength train 3 times a week at boot camp class and THAT has helped me get some ab and arm definition.
  • 10manda86
    10manda86 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    also tall.... also new... also have a few pounds to lose, however I'm from Australia and to confuse people I tend to use kgs!!! lol been losing almost 2lb a week and should be at my goal by easter!!! the best bit is if I keep going this direction I will only be about 5kgs off my goal for my son's 4th birthday (when i will most likely see my ex and his family... i want to shove it in his face) and that there is my motivation... his new mrs is a large girl and obviously not a gorgeous as me :P i just want to show him all he is missing out on! (as if he doesn't already know but my full potential is coming out and getting closer every single day)... ps anyone can add me if they like :) xx
  • SugarQueen_x
    Options
    Okay. So apparently at my current weight, my BMI is 24%. (I'm not sure about the accuracy, but I tried about twenty different BMI calculators and the average was 24%) I think that I'm going to try to push my weight from 185 lbs to 155 lbs.

I've done my research, so I think I'm ready to dive into the challenge.

This is my plan:

***FOOD PLAN***
    . More organic foods
    . No desserts at all for at least the first month, then after that I'll treat myself to something small every so often
    . I will only drink water if I'm thirsty. I already gave up soda cold turkey about two months ago and reverted to apple juice to wean myself off of the soda. Juice isn't nearly as bad for you, but it IS fattening. So bye-bye, juice!

***EXERCISE PLAN***
    Rotating between these:
    . Treadmill
    . Elliptical training
    . P90X

I'm starting on Monday.
    Wish me luck!
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I'm sure you can do it!

I'm also very impressed that you managed to give up soda cold turkey like that. I don't drink it that often, but I don't think I could give it up completely either. Also, stay strong with the dessert thing, but don't be afraid to indulge in a small treat every now and then. From my experience if I refuse to let myself eat certain things when I'm really craving them I end up caving eventually and over indulge, but then again that's just my experience. Dropping things cold turkey might work better for you. :smile:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    ok you're BMI cant be 24% - your BF could be but your BMI is a points system- make sure you know which one you mean - cause they are completely different! :heart:
  • SugarQueen_x
    Options
    ok you're BMI cant be 24% - your BF could be but your BMI is a points system- make sure you know which one you mean - cause they are completely different! :heart:
    Whoops. You're right. :laugh: I should have put BF. Too late to edit that post now, though. :bigsmile: