first 1/2marathon completed now full?

Options
hi guys, i dont post on here much but today i completed my first half marathon, i ran the whole thing and only took 1 hour 55min. now my question is how do i attempt to transition to a full marathon? i wanted to do one in may if possible, is this realistic? please let me know and the steps i can take to achieve this goa;

Replies

• viki1123
    viki1123 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I swear by Hal Higdon. http://www.halhigdon.com/training/

Jump into one of the Novice programs at the half-marathon week. Or, pick your marathon, then match up your training plan accordingly!
  • annabellaisme
    annabellaisme Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey! Great goal I've done lots of marathons and half marathons. It's a great way to get everything out and just bare running.
    If you need advice here's some:

Don't stop running try to up your miles if your base is now at probably a 10 miles up your miles like you did for the half little by little.
    Walk run walk run. Get a friend if you have any running friends to see if they want to do it with you. That may help you stay motivated in the winter months coming up on us. If you need more motivation from some one you can always message me.
    What else you need to do is stay hydrated their will be water along the course so get your body use to when you need something. I usually take three goos and ibprofen with me on my long runs with a water bottle running pack when I train or in the real race.
    Do a few more halves before the full and make your base go higher. There is a wall you will hit in the marathon but the more prepared you are you will feel better. I'd say get up to at least mile 24 or 23. My first one I thought an adrenaline would kick in at mile 24 but sometimes it doesn't until you can get to the finish line.
    Know you can walk it's ok to walk it doesn't make you weaker if you walk during a marathon. People finish marathons crawling so don't worry about that.
    If you need any more tips message me, I'll think of some things. Make sure you have good shoes too!! :D Great job!
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Very well done! There is a group/forum on MFP called long distance runners. Those guys are marathoners and serious athletes. I've gotten great advice from them and the runners world.com website. I'm training for my first 10k this spring. Thanks for posting your success. I love running and I couldn't even run 3 minutes straight a year ago!
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    Options
    That's amazing. Well done. I've only gone up to 10k so far and I still have yet to do a half marathon. If you have any advise on how to train for a half marathon I'd greatly appreciate that. Again, congrats on your first half. It's always great to read such amazing and inspiring stories.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    hi guys, i dont post on here much but today i completed my first half marathon, i ran the whole thing and only took 1 hour 55min. now my question is how do i attempt to transition to a full marathon? i wanted to do one in may if possible, is this realistic? please let me know and the steps i can take to achieve this goa;

Easily done in that much time. Great job, enjoy the week off to recover properly.

Spend much of the winter getting your aerobic system peaked out, meaning faster pace at a slower HR. You'll need that so body is totally trained to burn fat as primary fuel source for as long as possible. Not required for a 1/2 since existing glucose stores can handle that short time.

Pick 1 day a week to do hill sprints to build up muscle. Sprint up, walk down.

1 day a week for very long run even slower HR. This is the one to keep increasing as you have time. 2 hrs weekly if possible, eventually 3 if possible to hit 18 miles every other week.

So 3 days a week running, 1 long in lower Aerobic HR zone, 1 shorter (5-6 m) in upper Aerobic HR zone, 1 hill sprint in Anaerobic & Recovery HR zones.

1 day of cross training for relief to the body, spin bike for aerobic. If hard sessions not near the hill sprint day. Swimming, elliptical, something for 60 min.

1 day of lifting, before rest day to recover.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!