egg roll wrappers

Options
i bought some square wrappers to make empanadas with...but the only cooking directions on the package involve frying, which is just not something i'm willing to do! :tongue: i was thinking i would just bake them at 350 and keep and eye on them until they look done, but thought i would check and see if anyone has more specific directions. thank you!!!

Replies

• smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I would spray with a little Pam olive oil and bake, otherwise they will be a bit dry. The texture would be better with the cooking spray and calories would be affected minimally
  • GreenieBean
    Options
    That's what I did once when I made eggrolls and didn't want to fry them. I popped them in the oven at 350 and just watched them. My filling was already cooked so i was just basically wanting to cook and crisp up the outside. They do need a little fat on them to cook right, otherwise they come out weird. I just brushed a little oil on them or you could use a light spray. I hope I helped!
  • EmilyStrick
    EmilyStrick Posts: 267
    Options
    sweet...i'll spray them with olive oil and bake at 350! i'm going to fill them with a potato/mushroom/peacurry mixture, so they should be yummy!!!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    sweet...i'll spray them with olive oil and bake at 350! i'm going to fill them with a potato/mushroom/peacurry mixture, so they should be yummy!!!

Oh my gosh, that sounds so good. Where did you get the wrappers?
  • EmilyStrick
    EmilyStrick Posts: 267
    Options

Oh my gosh, that sounds so good. Where did you get the wrappers?

at the grocery store in the fridge section by the veggies...probably where the tofu is!
  • divandisguise
    divandisguise Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i buy wonton wrappers and spread the little wedges of laughing cough cheese on them and fold in half to make something close to wontons like at the chinese restaurant. you could add crab meat and make crab rangoon. these are very tasty. i make 5-6 with 1 wedge of cheese. bake at 350 until starts to turn golden brown (about 8-10 minutes). no need to spray anything on them. using the lite laughing cow cheese is only about 35 cal per wedge so very low cal snack.
  • naturebaby
    naturebaby Posts: 161
    Options
    I bought won ton wrappers and made up my own raviolis! fill with ground seasoned meat & chopped veggie(cooked) then. slow boil for about 2-3 minutes. Add your own sauce or just light olive oil & lemon
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Here are two recipes from the Hungry Girl site and she cooks each one differently. I am personally in love with the PB Chocolate ones if you can every find the chocolate mousse, from Jello, in the grocery store. Every time I go, I look, and they are most often sold out. (was just in Wal Mart tonite and no mousse!)

The Crab Rangoonies

PER SERVING (4 "crab rangoonies"): 140 calories, 1.5g fat, 618mg sodium, 20g carbs, 1g fiber, 2g sugars, 9g protein -- POINTS® value 3*

Ingredients:
    1/4 cup fat-free cream cheese, room temperature
    2 wedges The Laughing Cow Light Original Swiss cheese
    4 oz. imitation crabmeat, flaked
    1 tsp. low-sodium/lite soy sauce
    1/2 tsp. chopped garlic
    2 scallions, finely chopped
    16 small square wonton wrappers (often stocked near the tofu in the fridge section of the market)
    Optional: sweet & sour sauce or Chinese-style hot mustard, for dipping

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

To make your filling, combine all ingredients except wonton wrappers in a bowl, breaking up the cheese wedges as you add them. Mix until uniform. Set aside. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray and set that aside as well.

Lay two wrappers flat on a clean, dry surface. Spoon a heaping 1/2 tbsp. of filling into the center of each wrapper. Moisten all four edges of each wrapper by dabbing your fingers in water and going over the edges smoothly. Fold the bottom left corner of each wrapper to meet the top right corner, forming a triangle and enclosing the filling. Press firmly on the edges to seal. Repeat with all remaining wrappers and filling, gently placing each rangoon flat on the baking sheet.

Spray the tops of the wontons with nonstick spray. Bake in the oven for about 12 minutes, carefully flipping halfway through, until golden brown. Allow to cool slightly.

If you like, dip your rangoonies in some sweet & sour sauce or hot mustard!

MAKES 4 SERVINGS

Dreamy PB Chocolate Ravioli Puffs

PER SERVING (4 "ravioli puffs"): 157 calories, 4.5g fat, 242mg sodium, 25g carbs, 1.5g fiber, 2g sugars, 5g protein -- POINTS® value 3*

Sweet pillows of desserty goodness! This recipe's a delicious and guilt-free way to satisfy your urge for PB & C (peanut butter and chocolate). Heads up: These need to freeze for an hour before being cooked!

Ingredients:
    2 Mousse Temptations by Jell-O snack cups, Dark Chocolate Decadence or Chocolate Indulgence
    2 tbsp. reduced-fat creamy peanut butter, room temperature
    16 small square wonton wrappers (often stocked near the tofu in the fridge section of the market)
    1/4 cup Fat Free Reddi-wip, divided
    Optional: powdered sugar

Directions:
    To make the filling, gently swirl together mousse and peanut butter in a bowl -- don't over-stir, but make sure PB is evenly distributed. Set aside.

Set out a wide plastic container (or a few mid-sized ones), and make sure you've got room in your freezer.

Lay two wonton wrappers flat on a clean, dry surface. Spoon a little less than 1 tbsp. filling into the center of each wrapper. Moisten all four edges of each wrapper by dabbing your fingers in water and going over the edges smoothly. Fold the bottom left corner of each wrapper to meet the top right corner, forming a triangle and enclosing the filling. Using your fingers or the prongs of a fork, press firmly on the edges to seal.

Repeat with all remaining wrappers and filling, placing each raviolo flat in the container(s). (Yup, that's really the singular form of "ravioli!") Freeze for 1 hour.

Bring a large skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium heat. Working in batches, place frozen ravioli flat in the skillet, evenly spaced, and cook for 2 - 3 minutes, until slightly puffy. Flip carefully and cook for an additional 1 - 2 minutes (no longer). Don't flip them again, as the filling may ooze out!

Allow to cool slightly. If you like, sprinkle with a small amount of powdered sugar. Then top each serving with a tbsp. of Reddi-wip and enjoy!

MAKES 4 SERVINGS
  • jbuffan218
    jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Yum !

What a great idea, a perfect little snack.
    Thanks for sharing.
  • naturebaby
    Options
    Here are two recipes from the Hungry Girl site and she cooks each one differently. I am personally in love with the PB Chocolate ones if you can every find the chocolate mousse, from Jello, in the grocery store. Every time I go, I look, and they are most often sold out. (was just in Wal Mart tonite and no mousse!)

The Crab Rangoonies

PER SERVING (4 "crab rangoonies"): 140 calories, 1.5g fat, 618mg sodium, 20g carbs, 1g fiber, 2g sugars, 9g protein -- POINTS® value 3*

Ingredients:
    1/4 cup fat-free cream cheese, room temperature
    2 wedges The Laughing Cow Light Original Swiss cheese
    4 oz. imitation crabmeat, flaked
    1 tsp. low-sodium/lite soy sauce
    1/2 tsp. chopped garlic
    2 scallions, finely chopped
    Optional: sweet & sour sauce or Chinese-style hot mustard, for dipping

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

To make your filling, combine all ingredients except wonton wrappers in a bowl, breaking up the cheese wedges as you add them. Mix until uniform. Set aside. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray and set that aside as well.

Lay two wrappers flat on a clean, dry surface. Spoon a heaping 1/2 tbsp. of filling into the center of each wrapper. Moisten all four edges of each wrapper by dabbing your fingers in water and going over the edges smoothly. Fold the bottom left corner of each wrapper to meet the top right corner, forming a triangle and enclosing the filling. Press firmly on the edges to seal. Repeat with all remaining wrappers and filling, gently placing each rangoon flat on the baking sheet.

Spray the tops of the wontons with nonstick spray. Bake in the oven for about 12 minutes, carefully flipping halfway through, until golden brown. Allow to cool slightly.

If you like, dip your rangoonies in some sweet & sour sauce or hot mustard!

MAKES 4 SERVINGS

Dreamy PB Chocolate Ravioli Puffs

PER SERVING (4 "ravioli puffs"): 157 calories, 4.5g fat, 242mg sodium, 25g carbs, 1.5g fiber, 2g sugars, 5g protein -- POINTS® value 3*

Sweet pillows of desserty goodness! This recipe's a delicious and guilt-free way to satisfy your urge for PB & C (peanut butter and chocolate). Heads up: These need to freeze for an hour before being cooked!

Ingredients:
    2 Mousse Temptations by Jell-O snack cups, Dark Chocolate Decadence or Chocolate Indulgence
    2 tbsp. reduced-fat creamy peanut butter, room temperature
    1/4 cup Fat Free Reddi-wip, divided
    Optional: powdered sugar

Directions:
    To make the filling, gently swirl together mousse and peanut butter in a bowl -- don't over-stir, but make sure PB is evenly distributed. Set aside.

Set out a wide plastic container (or a few mid-sized ones), and make sure you've got room in your freezer.

Lay two wonton wrappers flat on a clean, dry surface. Spoon a little less than 1 tbsp. filling into the center of each wrapper. Moisten all four edges of each wrapper by dabbing your fingers in water and going over the edges smoothly. Fold the bottom left corner of each wrapper to meet the top right corner, forming a triangle and enclosing the filling. Using your fingers or the prongs of a fork, press firmly on the edges to seal.

Repeat with all remaining wrappers and filling, placing each raviolo flat in the container(s). (Yup, that's really the singular form of "ravioli!") Freeze for 1 hour.

Bring a large skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium heat. Working in batches, place frozen ravioli flat in the skillet, evenly spaced, and cook for 2 - 3 minutes, until slightly puffy. Flip carefully and cook for an additional 1 - 2 minutes (no longer). Don't flip them again, as the filling may ooze out!

Allow to cool slightly. If you like, sprinkle with a small amount of powdered sugar. Then top each serving with a tbsp. of Reddi-wip and enjoy!

MAKES 4 SERVINGS
  • naturebaby
    Options
    great recipes there! can you tell me what is the hungry girl site?
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Sure, it is www.hungry-girl.com

She has spend years taking regular recipes and making them lower in calories and healthier. She even clones some of our favorite restaurant recipes!

I have spent a while, now, watching her on Rachael Ray and never really checked her out. But, with my "life change," and becoming a member at MFP, I decided that it was time to get to know her inside and out. I spent a day scouring her site and looking at everything on it. I now follow hungry girl on Twitter and have signed up for her daily emails so I don't miss anything.

I have tried many of her recipes, including the chocolate/PB Wonton and have liked them all, thus far. I am trying to do whatever I can to keep on the path to my "life change.":smile: