4 oz. fat free cream cheese
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup Cool Whip Free
6 reduced fat Oreo cookies, coarsely crushed

Glaze:
2 squares semi-sweet baking chocolate
2 Tbsp. light margarine
Methods/steps
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray two 9 inch round cake pans with non-stick cooking spray.

In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, diet soda and egg whites. With an electric mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Divide mixture evenly between the two cake pans. Bake for about 26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes. Turn out of pans and cool completely on wire rack.

To make filling, combine cream cheese and sugar. Beat on medium speed with an electric mixture until well blended. Fold in Cool Whip and cookies.

Place cake layer on serving plate top-side down. Spread evenly with cream cheese mixture. Place second cake layer on top.

To make glaze, place baking chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds. Blend in margarine. Allow to sit for about 5 minutes for mixture to thicken slightly.

Spoon glaze over top of cake and serve. Refrigerate any remaining cake.

Replies

• LessofLeeAnna
    Options
    wonder how to count this on my food diary. . ie: how many calories in a serving?? sounds delish
  • SBakaitis
    SBakaitis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious! I was trying to think of something to bring for the birthday /anniversary celebration at work and I think I just found it! Thanks!
  • kingnatalie
    kingnatalie Posts: 163
    Options
    Sounds wonderful, I am also wondering about how many calories this dish is per serving.
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    sounds great - thanks!
  • pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options
    *DROOOOOOLS*
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    wonder how to count this on my food diary. . ie: how many calories in a serving?? sounds delish
    It's a little cumbersome, but all you'd have to do is add up the nutritional value for all the ingredients and divide by 16.
  • Kanderson47
    Kanderson47 Posts: 110 Member
    Options

Well I do know one piece is 4 points in Weight Watchers..and I was doing Weight Watchers for along time and 4 points isnt awhole lot....I know that probably doesnt help...sorry..........:blushing:
  • Amylynn
    Amylynn Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    yum, thanks.
  • Hailey
    Hailey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    this actually sounds really good! thanks
  • lfreshour
    lfreshour Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Use the recipe calculator at http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp...works really well when I don't know calorie content of homemade items!
  • paulreese
    paulreese Posts: 10
    Options
    WoW! This is considered diet food? Whom ever came up with this recipe and called it food has no knowledge about nutrition. Just because something does not have a lot of calories does not make it diet food, or even what I would call food for that matter. If you want to lose weight to become healthy you have to not just limit calories, you must also eat food that is healthy for you. This may have few calories, however it also has little if any real nutritional value. if you want to lose weight don't go on a "DIET" eat healthy and excersize. If you want to learn a little about nutrition you should check out www.healthitude.com. They have some great information on ingrediants you should avoid in your diet. and some info about what you should be eating.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the recipe it was very nice of you to share it. While it is true we should not ever get our nutritional values from desserts it is very nice to have options and this is so much better than a regular piece of cake. I have learned the hard way that you have to treat yourself sometimes, for example remember birthday cake on your birthday. And it is very nice to have options thank you for taking the time to post this recipe it is very appriciated. :flowerforyou:
  • katheranne
    Options
    Yes, it is very nice to treat yourself. I very much enjoy baking and often make deserts for myself, and my family and friends. However, just because it is a treat does not mean it needs to be damaging to your body. It is like only smoking every once in a while... Eating something like this every now and then may be even worse since your body is more suceptible to the toxins. Yes, I mean toxins. I pulled the ingredient list for oreos offline:
    "Sugar, flour, hydrogenated soybean oil, cocoa, high fructose corn syrup, whey, corn starch, baking soda, salt, soy lecithin, vanillin, chocolate"
    It is disturbing that the first ingredient in what some call "food", is sugar. In it's natural form sugar cane is not bad in moderation, however once processed, bleached, and otherwise chemically modified it no longer has any nutrient value and is actually quite detrimental to your health.
    Secondly, Hydrogenated oils are possibly the worst ingredient you could put into your body. This modified oil "has been linked with diabetes, coronary disease, and obesity in a wide number of scientific studies." In general they poison your cells and destroy your body at the most basal level, causing a wide array of medical problems.
    Ahh.... High Fructose Corn Syrup.... what can i say about thee... Please, do NOT believe the media on this one. Did you notice all of those commercials were paid for by corn companies? Fancy that, they make a profit. It is a byproduct of the oversubsidation of corn. Scientists took excess harvest and asked themselves "What can we do to this stuff to make companies buy it.... it needs to be tasty and addictive... hmmmm.....?" It helps you become obese, if that is your cup of tea. It is poison... period.
    Now on to the Diet Soda.... it contains Aspartame. Aspartame was once used in military chemical warfare... it is now being used in corporate chemical warfare. There have been studies where people stop drinking diet sodas and lose weight... 0 calories means nothign. Here are 92 other side effects of Aspartame consumption: http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html
    Do your research people.
    Here is a link to some healthy treats.
    http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/vegetarian-recipes/dessert-recipes.php
    (Use at own discretion, soy products can have adverse effects. Brown sugar can be replaced with Stevia)
    And just an FYI, I did not have cake on my last Birthday. =)
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    geez people.....of course it doesn't have any nutritional value - it's a dessert! And of course oreos are comprised of sugar - they're a COOKIE!!!

I realize that it is possible to create a dessert with nutritional value, but let us eat (and enjoy) some cake!
  • jbuffan218
    jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Geez people ligthen up!
    The OP was simply posting a recipe that we can use OCCASIONALLY.
    I am sure it was not intended to be eaten at every meal, this is a dessert. To be eaten once in awhile , as a
    special treat. The last time I checked they didnt list dessert on the food pyramid. Thanks for your "advice" but I think even us fat people know that we dont eat this every day! Seriously?
    As far as toxins, the mad scientists with their hidden agendas, and the poison we drink in our diet colas???
    What the heck does that have to do with a simple recipe for oreo cake??
    Geez Louise, give me a break.
    I gotta go now and focus on perfection in my life, gonna be busy for awhile. I guess I have a ways to go.
    Go hug a tree and let me eat cake!
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    No kidding!

I'm sorry your recipe got attacked like that, I'd love to see the nutritionals for it but I'm too lazy right now so if they're not checked in by tomorrow I might calculate them. I'm on phase one of p90x right now, so it might be awhile before I can eat this, but as soon as I'm done, this is one of the first things I'm having! Sounds delish! =p

And on the TOPIC OF DIET FOOD (clearly being anal, at this point..) anything you eat is DIET FOOD, because it is a part of your DIET. Therefore, everything in moderation. You can't cut foods out entirely just because you're trying to lose weight, you WILL crave them, and for most of us, they'll win out in the ends and we'll compromise our progress for 3 huge slices of chocolate ganache. If you allow yourself a treat once in awhile these sorts of things are a lot less likely to happen. Besides, for most of us, losing weight is about feeling better about ourselves. Deprivation won't give you a healthier body image, that's for sure.

Generally the diet food jargon is applied to sweets and goodies that have been made lighter so we can enjoy them too =)
  • sheri3762
    sheri3762 Posts: 159
    Options
    Awsome recipe!! I'm gonna make this next time i need to make a family treat!!! thanks for the post!!!
  • cayzapp
    cayzapp Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to make this!! My boyfriend loves cakes, cookies, etc.... so I am forever trying to make low fat dessert recipes (usually without his knowledge) so I can enjoy them with him! If I try NOT eating sweets, that's when I completely blow it.... deprivation doesn't work for me. So, thanks for the great recipe, and now I'm going to go finish my diet Coke!
  • CoachKarlaHelps
    CoachKarlaHelps Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was going to stay out of this discussion, however, I just have to defend them. Paul is my husband and Katheranne is my daughter. They are a bit overly adamant on this, perhaps not being able to hide their emotions. You see, we just lost one of our dearest friends, and then my Aunt in the same day. Both of them were very overweight, and regardless of attempts to teach proper eating habits, chose their own paths. Dying of cancer at 70 (my Aunt) is horrible, and dying at only 44 of a massive heart attack (our friend) is just insane! So, please excuse their emotional outcry, but I think it is understandable!!!

The young lady who did this recipe is trying to help. For that, she should be commended! Let me help a bit more, by trying to make sure the cake has all natural ingredients and is therefore more healthy for you. I will try to figure out what can replace what and give you an option. Please give me a while to figure this out. Personally, I would like to see you eat only a few bites of cake with a lot of calories, than a whole plate of cake with few calories, but a lot of poisonous chemicals. While it is true, that dessert is eaten infrequently, these chemicals are all over our "food" supply, slipping into your body by many different sources. Over a very short period of time, every cell in your body is affected adversely. Here's an analogy for you: You can ingest or absorb a little arsenic every day and die slowly and painfully. Please watch: Killer at Large: Why Obesity is America's Greatest Threat You can view it on Netflix (Watch it now), or own it. www.killeratlarge.com Be prepared, though. It will make you angry, especially when the Surgeon General talks about how he was forced to edit his speeches on the rising threat of obesity in America! And then take a look at the movie All Jacked up. While you are at it, Food, Inc. is a great reference movie as well. www.naturalnews.com is a great resource and www.healthitude.com is our family site to help people learn more about healthy eating.

What we are trying to avoid: ALL Hydrogenated oils, MSG, Sodium Nitrates, Aspartame (and other artificial sweeteners), High Fructose Corn Syrup, bleached flour and refined sugar.

In the meantime, I would love to help figure out how to change this recipe into a healthy one, so that you can have your cake and eat it to! What is the soda pop supposed to do?

Please do not get upset with us. We just want to help. We are going through a particularly painful time right now. And we don't want anyone else to suffer this way!!!!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I was going to stay out of this discussion, however, I just have to defend them. Paul is my husband and Katheranne is my daughter. They are a bit overly adamant on this, perhaps not being able to hide their emotions. You see, we just lost one of our dearest friends, and then my Aunt in the same day. Both of them were very overweight, and regardless of attempts to teach proper eating habits, chose their own paths. Dying of cancer at 70 (my Aunt) is horrible, and dying at only 44 of a massive heart attack (our friend) is just insane! So, please excuse their emotional outcry, but I think it is understandable!!!

The young lady who did this recipe is trying to help. For that, she should be commended! Let me help a bit more, by trying to make sure the cake has all natural ingredients and is therefore more healthy for you. I will try to figure out what can replace what and give you an option. Please give me a while to figure this out. Personally, I would like to see you eat only a few bites of cake with a lot of calories, than a whole plate of cake with few calories, but a lot of poisonous chemicals. While it is true, that dessert is eaten infrequently, these chemicals are all over our "food" supply, slipping into your body by many different sources. Over a very short period of time, every cell in your body is affected adversely. Here's an analogy for you: You can ingest or absorb a little arsenic every day and die slowly and painfully. Please watch: Killer at Large: Why Obesity is America's Greatest Threat You can view it on Netflix (Watch it now), or own it. www.killeratlarge.com Be prepared, though. It will make you angry, especially when the Surgeon General talks about how he was forced to edit his speeches on the rising threat of obesity in America! And then take a look at the movie All Jacked up. While you are at it, Food, Inc. is a great reference movie as well. www.naturalnews.com is a great resource and www.healthitude.com is our family site to help people learn more about healthy eating.

What we are trying to avoid: ALL Hydrogenated oils, MSG, Sodium Nitrates, Aspartame (and other artificial sweeteners), High Fructose Corn Syrup, bleached flour and refined sugar.

In the meantime, I would love to help figure out how to change this recipe into a healthy one, so that you can have your cake and eat it to! What is the soda pop supposed to do?

Please do not get upset with us. We just want to help. We are going through a particularly painful time right now. And we don't want anyone else to suffer this way!!!!

First - my condolences on your losses. Your family will be in my prayers.
    Second - I agree with you, our society eats a lot of stuff that just doesn't constitute as food. Our family is trying to make the change to eating more healthfully and naturally.
    Third - I understand the reaction to your families posts - but now I also understand their reaction to the recipe. I'd love to see what you can do for this recipe... the only thing I've found for cakes uses pumpkin... and apparently (after visiting every grocery store in town) we're in a pumpkin crisis ... there is none to be had in the stores due to a problem in growing last year.
    Ok - off to check out your website.