side cramp while running

Options
Hello~ I started running last april and I love it. I run 5 days a week for 30 min, 3 miles. Once the weather gets nicer I am going to start running for longer times, but I am on time constrants with my hubby leaving for work and little ones at home.

I have a quick question. Sometimes when I run I get a horrible side cramp on my right side. It is usually bad enough that I double over in pain and have to stop running. Once this happens I can't run again until the next day. Super frustrating!! I walk it out though and finish my 30 min or so of allotted time. (this doesn't include warm up and cool down). Does anyone have an ideas why this is happening and how I am prevent it. It has happed twice this week already it makes for a bad day and a bad run.

Thank you!

Replies

• Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    This is from an article at runnersworld.com there are plenty of articles on this topic there if you go to runnersworld.com and type side stitch in the search box they will all appear but this is an article for beginners......good luck, this will pass :wink:

CURE YOUR NEXT SIDESTITCH
    The best way to cure a sideache while running--is to try something else for awhile.

PUBLISHED 08/28/2001
    Many beginners suffer sideaches, or stomach cramps, when they run. This can be because of a number of reasons.

DIET: One cause of sideaches is eating too soon, or too much, before you run. It takes three to four hours to digest a large meal. If you have undigested food--or too much fluid--in your stomach, your stomach muscles may cramp. Some people may be allergic to certain foods, which may cause problems. Adjusting your diet may help.

MUSCLE WEAKNESS: When you begin running, you quickly discover the weakest part of your body. That body part begins to hurt. It may be your legs, your arms or your stomach muscles--causing a sideache. Your body is telling you to slow down. Pay attention, gradually strengthen your stomach muscles, and the sideaches eventually should go away.

MEDICAL CONDITION: A sideache could signal appendicitis, a kidney infection, even a heart problem. We're not trying to be alarmist, but if you continually experience sideaches while running, you may want to get a medical evaluation.

Once you experience a sideache, regardless of its cause, how do you alleviate it? The best way to cure a sideache, while running, is to do something different. Here are some common remedies:

BREATHING: Changing breathing pattern is often the best strategy for curing a sideache. Shift from 2/2 to 3/3 or some other pattern. Try belly breathing: using your stomach muscles instead of your lung muscles. (Pregnant women learn belly breathing by lying on the ground and moving a book placed on their bellies up and down.)

CHANGE OF PACE: Slow down. Speed up. Slowing down may work best, since one of the reasons for the sideache may be that you are pushing too hard. The sideache is a message from the body telling you to slow down. Any change in your rhythm may help relieve the problem.

MASSAGE: Act as your own massage therapist. While continuing to run, massage the aching area. Pinching may help. Swing your arms forward, backwards and in circles. If runners around you think you're crazy, that's all right. Tell them you have a sideache. Everybody gets sideaches.
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Great article!

As for me, I've found that I CANNOT eat before running. I've tried running in the evening but inevitably get cramps in my side due to food in my stomach. The only way for me to avoid cramps is to run in the morning on an empty stomach. I've heard the same from several of my running friends.

Hope you figure something out soon! Good luck!
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    If not drinking enough water!
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    took me two years before those went away...never had one since. Try slowing down and breathing through it - that's what worked for me most...but some days I just had to walk back during those times.
  • nsking83
    nsking83 Posts: 145
    Options
    As hard as it sounds, and is, breathe through your nose. Don't let yourself breathe through your mouth. I've trained myself to do this after someone told me this trick....I thought, 'No way!'....but, it worked, and I no longer get ANY side stitches. It has something to do with how you're sucking air.

Good luck!!
  • GreenieBean
    Options
    i remember learning in anatomy that it is lactic acid in your muscles that can cause that side pain while running. It produces because there isn't enough oxygen getting in. Focus on your breathing, it should hopefully help. I used to get the same thing until I researched breathing and running. Give it a try. Good luck!

I actually breathe in through my nose for two counts and breathe out quickly through my mouth for one count. I get into a rhythm while I am running and never get the side cramps anymore
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    For me, this was caused by breathing. Try focusing on exhaling more than you think you should. :) And good luck!
  • katgrif
    katgrif Posts: 4
    Options
    i agree with the above post. Side cramps commonly caused by incorrect breathing while running. IN through the nose out through the mouth, no gasping if you can!!
  • gettinfit1958
    Options
    One quick cure for a side stitch is to put salt under your tongue. My dad used to carry salt packets with him when he ran. If he got a side stitch, he would open the packet, put some salt under his tongue & within seconds the stitch would be gone.

If I don't have salt with me, I start taking large breaths in & then 'heaving' the breath out - this gets alot of oxygen to the area & helps to stop the stitch. Diaphramatic breathing is the best way to cure the stitch - it requires good - deep breathing that gets extra oxygen to the oxygen'starved muscles in the side.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I barely ever get the side stitch but usually it's if I've eaten too close to my workout or too much...also I've gotten "water logged" (drinking too much water) and gotten the side stitch. I've been doing better about spacing my snack far before my work out and I don't get them too often now. :)
  • farmgirlh
    farmgirlh Posts: 240
    Options
    I run at 5:30 or so in the morning so eating isn't the issue.

I will work on the breathing thing. Thank you so much for all of your suggestions!!