media mindwashing, bah humbug?

Options
It get's to a certain time of year and the media is full of FOOOD. Not just food but the whole "tis the season to stuff you're face" food, adverts, cooking shows etc.
I'll feel bombarded by people telling me to loosen up and eat junk and the t.v telling me to reward myself for....something. You're treated like an alien if you watch what you eat and continue to exercise throughout the holidays, don't get me wrong, christmas day I let myself go a bit but the whole of December and most of November? No thanks.

THEN IT GETS TO JANUARY... and the same media is telling me to lose weight and go on some insane liquid diet , do wha this skinny celebrity did and lose 7lbs in 2 days and buy an ab roller or some other contraption that is the equivalent of 4 hours exercise in 30 seconds, they re run the biggest loser non stop, and the same people that told me to loosen up are all moaning about their muffin tops, not to mention I feel like a sardine when I go to the gym.
Am I the only old grump that's baffled by the logic (or rather lack of logic) of it all?

Replies

• momofthreesons
    momofthreesons Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    This is the first year EVER I haven't told myself I'm satisfied with the weight I lost in the spring and summer. Normally by now I'm in my size 12's and comfortable with my body and enjoying the attention. This year I pushed through the chill in the air and kept right on walking and right on logging my food. (WW to MFP, FREE WOOT!) anyway I'm now in a size 10 (breathable) and plan to keep going until those 6/8's are comfy too! I ate at Thanksgiving and got right back on track heck I even walked an hour on Thanksgiving. I love MFP!! I will be here forever or until it goes away LOL. The holiday food pushers and the biggest loser can kiss my hiney this year... I don't wanna see me stuffing my face and then feeling bad because I'm not dropping 10lb a week. I've been dropping weight since last April the healthy way!!!!! so there I guess I'm grinchy myself Hahahahahaaa
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Look at any women's magazine any month of the year -- skinny models, workout routines, ads for diet potions, and recipes for 1000 calorie desserts.
  • Smurfette1987
    Smurfette1987 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Look at any women's magazine any month of the year -- skinny models, workout routines, ads for diet potions, and recipes for 1000 calorie desserts.

They never interested me anyway, I'm not a girly girl at the best of times and they're so pink and vomit inducing looking, but now I refuse to! I read one in the hairdressers once: "for a flat stomach by tonight drink nothing but dandelion tea all day, you'll look great in that little black number" WHAAAAA?!?! dehyrdrate yourself before you go out drinking? Oh well at least you will look super duper skinny for the paramedics.
    Obviously the recipes are for you to feed to other people, because everyone judges you on your recipes. It's the way to a mans heart, that and being stick thin and having a great handbag!
  • Smurfette1987
    Smurfette1987 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    This is the first year EVER I haven't told myself I'm satisfied with the weight I lost in the spring and summer. Normally by now I'm in my size 12's and comfortable with my body and enjoying the attention. This year I pushed through the chill in the air and kept right on walking and right on logging my food. (WW to MFP, FREE WOOT!) anyway I'm now in a size 10 (breathable) and plan to keep going until those 6/8's are comfy too! I ate at Thanksgiving and got right back on track heck I even walked an hour on Thanksgiving. I love MFP!! I will be here forever or until it goes away LOL. The holiday food pushers and the biggest loser can kiss my hiney this year... I don't wanna see me stuffing my face and then feeling bad because I'm not dropping 10lb a week. I've been dropping weight since last April the healthy way!!!!! so there I guess I'm grinchy myself Hahahahahaaa

Good for you! I keep telling weight watchers people about MFP too coz it sounds pretty much the same... but not free.
    Nothing wrong with a bit of over indulgence, I just hate the GORGE YOURSELF! ALL MONTH!.... NOW FEEL GUILTY! messages.
  • curiousorange
    Options
    I'm going to try and have mostly "good days" over the next couple of months. I'll still eat my yummy Christmas nut roast, and I dare say that I'll scoff a few choccies. So long as I don't stuff my self every day like I usually do I should be ok. :)
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Yep, that's why I rarely watch t.v.
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Just loving this thread, the OP is Sooooo right, The "Media" has a lot to answer for. Don't give in to their brainwashing, just keep up with what you are doing all year round to succeed.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    Isn't it crazy? And don't get me started on the spam coming to my email - it is crazy. Not to mention the catalogs in my post box! Eat,eat,eat, and here is a sparkly little party dress to wear....

So I am focused on starting my "New Year's Eve Resolutions" today. I hit my goal yesterday, so now I am up to the new challenge of maintenance and more muscle tone! Bah humbug on overeating this season!