No more "dieting"

Options
I dont see this as "dieting" i see it as a lifestyle change. I know that when I eat good things I feel good, and when I eat bad thing is feel bad. I can have things that I like (cupcakes) every once in a while, I have realized that they arent the everynight kind of snack. This is what made me realize that this isnt just a diet that Im going to be on for so many months, but even after I loose the weight, I will still log, and eat things that are better for me. I also love working out now, so no stopping me there. Im starting to love my lifestyle and I hope it gets passsed on to my daughter

Replies

• emilyfh
    emilyfh Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I total agree with you, this is a life style change, not a diet. I eat healthy, dont care for exercising, but have the wii fit, which is a game, so dont feel like Im exercising either :bigsmile:
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    YUP I totally agree. I lost all of my baby weight back in 2005, and I still to this day log. I like to be held accountable, keeps me on track.
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    You are right on target. I have lots more weight to lose (lots!) than you do but, for the first time, I'm getting the lifestyle change. What a difference it makes to eat lots of veggies (and enjoy them way more than what I was eating) and not be hungry - at all. Good for you for "getting" it sooner. This is the "no deprivation" way to lose weight - and keep it off - and good for us too.

If you haven't tried roasting veggies, you might want to see how you like them. Almost every veggie tastes better this way. At least I think so and so do the other people I know who've tried it. We spray on some olive oil and roast them at 475 for 10 minutes. (Or a minute more or less depending on your oven.) They turn out delicious - asparagus is crisp, not stringy. Broccoli (use small florets) has a delish flavor. Onion, mushrooms, mini bell peppers, etc. etc. They're good!

I don't know if you saw the interview with Michael Pollland (sp?) on Oprah a few weeks ago. He participated in filming a video called Food Inc and has several books out. The latest is super simple but I love the advice...things like, "If a 3rd grader can't pronounce the ingredients, don't buy it" and "if it make the milk in your cereal change colors, don't eat it." Another one I like is "If your grandmother wouldn't recognize it (think yogurt in tubes), don't buy it.

Well, you can tell I'm excited about all this. It's new to me and it's working. It's exciting to see someone else who has similar insights. Congrats.
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I couldnt agree more. Diet's don't work. Plain and simple. THIS does work. The reason I think Im sticking to this is because I have full control over it - I can eat what I want when I want. I know that when I look at my cals for the day, I decide on the portions and what I put in my mouth.

I was just thinking this morning as I packed up my lunch and snacks for the day how far Ive come in a few short weeks. I impressed myself with how healthy everything I brought with me was. And I actually enjoy the food. Im not eating things I dont like...what's the point of that? Ive discovered different ways of making some of my fave foods and I still enjoy all of them. Moderation is the key, not deprivation.
  • aerobicgirl
    aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    totally agree im not really looking to lose a lot of weight but im doing it in mini goals like in two weeks losing 1 lbs and not depriving myself of a hamburger everyonce in a while, thats when binge eating comes and all the weight comes. like i say i just had a baby 6mths ago i eat right and i workout on an average of 4 times a week. so its a lifestyle change i want to be healthy for my kids.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I get so annoyed when people say I am on a DIET when it should be a lifestyle change!!! I tell people this all the time. It annoys me so bad.
  • bethinagain
    bethinagain Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    A lifestyle change is exactly what it is. My way of grocery shopping has changed, my way of cooking has changed, my portions have changed and my meal times have changed! AND I LOVE IT!!! :happy:
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I get so annoyed when people say I am on a DIET when it should be a lifestyle change!!! I tell people this all the time. It annoys me so bad.

Try not to get too annoyed. I think it generally takes people some time to realize that it's more than just a difference in words. When people ask me if I can "cheat" today - I say, "I can eat whatever I want today - but no, it's not cheating... this is my life, I can't cheat on my life. But eating a little more today will not sabotage my efforts. Thanks for asking though!" Most people really don't understand that it's not just changing the way you eat - it's changing the way you think, the way you act, the way you react... it's a lifestyle change.
  • gummibaehr
    gummibaehr Posts: 143
    Options
    I agree, too! People keep asking me how my diet is going. I politely remind them that I'm not dieting, I'm making a lifestyle change. They seem really surprised when I tell them all I'm doing is eating a bit less and exercising more. "That's it?!" Yes, that's it. I don't eat diet foods or take any weird supplements. I lost those 10 pounds all on my own!
  • keeno67
    keeno67 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    No doubt about it....dieting has to be a lifestyle change to be successful in the long term. As for me I just explain to people that no I'm not dieting I'm changing my dietary habits and that usually suffices. I know what it means to me regardless if they "get it"....:smile:
  • jquintinjr
    jquintinjr Posts: 191
    Options
    i have no doubt you will be a fantastic role model for your daughter. i have only seen good things from you on this site and positive outlooks. just keep being who you are and she will grow up to be a fine adult and a healthy one at that.
  • onehealthymomma07
    Options
    :bigsmile: i feel that way too i feel it comes from lack of acceptance when i used the word dieting early on in my weight loss journey. when i seen it and accepted it was a lifesyle change that was 3 years ago and 175 lbs gone.