should i be worried

Options
i've been hitting the gym for around 8 months now, i do 1hrs cardio (treadmill very fast walk on high incline) and i lift heavy x 5 days a week and my fitness has gone through the roof. Calorie intake is around 1800 calories of an average 2500 TDEE and i'm 6lbs away from goal weight of 150lbs (im 5ft 10)My diet is mostly vegetarian, i never eat red meat and not much white or fish. For the last few weeks i'd been trying to learn to run but stopped around 4 weeks ago as i got a minor chest cold. Started again yesterday but two mins into the run my heart was thumping like crazy and i felt the thumping rise up into my throat and everything started to go black. I hit the stop button and stopped running till my heart slowed and then went back to the incline walking and was fine. Tried again to run after 20 mins and the same thing happened. Thing is for the last few months ive been noticing an odd heartbeat...like my heart will seem to skip a couple of beats then thump really hard and then i feel fluttering in my throat. Do i have a problem or is this just normal? My boyfriend thinks i should go get an ECG

Replies

• kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    There are several possibilities here but by all means if you suspect possible heart related problems, go talk to your doctor sooner rather than later. Realize it is PROBABLY nothing to worry about... This doctor visit will set your mind at ease in that case. Otherwise if there is a murmur or something, it is far better to find out BEFORE the heart attack rather than after. SEE YOUR DOCTOR ASAP!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Get checked out. That way if there is nothing wrong you can be sure to build up slow till you get used to it. Things going black is not a great sign with running & while it may suggest something more it could be nothing. But I'd be better off being checked out.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    One thing that does come to mind though is the possibility of a lot of caffeine. Caffeine will do funny things and make you somewhat jittery. 5 Hour Energy shots, coffee, soft drinks, Energy Drinks etc all have loads of caffeine and can cause problems such as this. None-the-less, there is nothing I can tell you that is more important than to say go see your Doctor. The risk of not seeing him/her about this is too great to not deal with it promptly!
  • roxyhoard
    Options
    YOU SHOULD SEE YOUR DOCTOR, DESCRIBE YOUR SYMPTOMS AND ASK HIM FOR AN ECG ASAP. IF THE ECK SHOWS NOTHING, ASK FOR A HOLTER MONITOR TO CHECK YOUR HEART RATE AND RHYTHM FOR A 24 HOUR PERIOD.
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    One thing that does come to mind though is the possibility of a lot of caffeine. Caffeine will do funny things and make you somewhat jittery. 5 Hour Energy shots, coffee, soft drinks, Energy Drinks etc all have loads of caffeine and can cause problems such as this. None-the-less, there is nothing I can tell you that is more important than to say go see your Doctor. The risk of not seeing him/her about this is too great to not deal with it promptly!

i do drink a fair bit of coffee i have to admit. maybe 6 or 7 mugs a day. I also wondered if the fact i dont eat red meat or much meat at all, would have anything to do with it. Could anaemia cause the same problems?
  • roxyhoard
    Options
    NOT ECK, ECG...SORRY, TYPO
  • roxyhoard
    Options
    JUST FYI, FROM THE MAYO CLINIC SITE:

Premature ventricular contractions often cause no symptoms. But you may feel an odd sensation in your chest, such as:

Flip-flops Fluttering Pounding or jumping Skipped beats or missed beats Increased awareness of your heartbeat When to see a doctor
    If you feel flip-flops, a sensation of skipped heartbeats or odd feelings in your chest, talk to your doctor. You'll want to identify the source of these symptoms. Premature ventricular contractions may be the problem, but other conditions also may be to blame, including other rhythm problems, serious heart problems, anxiety, anemia or infections.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    The only thing I hate worse than feeling like I am going to black out from heart related conditions is when i try to get those conditions diagnosed by a bunch of randoms on the internet. Go see a doctor.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Always best to see a doctor especially if heart related. Not sure what kind of cardio you've been doing up until this point and don't know how fast you were trying to run... And if you had warmed up properly, if you had eaten before hand, if you have lifted before or if you have any current medical issues or if you're on any medicines.
    I experienced this kind of thing abut a year ago. I went to my Dr. Because it made me nervous. He did an EKG right in the office and found i had a benign heart issue that most people don't even know hey have. For some reason i became aware of the irregular/skipped or extra beat.. I think I was under more stress... That can do it.. But really, go see your dr.!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

i do drink a fair bit of coffee i have to admit. maybe 6 or 7 mugs a day. I also wondered if the fact i dont eat red meat or much meat at all, would have anything to do with it. Could anaemia cause the same problems?

Calcium and salts imbalance could cause a problem, as could the coffee. But the first thing to do is see a cardio, you are describing classic danger signs. Please take them seriously and get checked out.
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    thanks everyone. i didnt want to be bothering my doctor if it was some trivial thing i'd brought on myself..theyre busy enough without me clogging up their waiting room. but i will call tomorrow and get an appointment