Advice on eating out..?

Options
So, I have been invited to a steakhouse/pub for a Christmas dinner which is coming up soon. However, I have checked their menu and they don't provide any nutritional information whatsoever...

Keeping in mind this is restaurant food I would like to overestimate rather than underestimate due to them cooking in oils and such. I was thinking of ordering the following:

MAINS

Roast Turkey
Succulent turkey breast served with Yorkshire pudding, sage & onion stuffing ball, pig in blanket and gravy

... So, it doesn't say how much turkey that is.. I think it sounds like a generally pretty healthy alternative to most things on their menu. Anyone able to guesstimate or work out the calories of this, anyone who prepares this kind of meal at home perhaps? I'd probably leave the stuffing ball and the pig in blanket out, but curious about them too.

I guesstimated the turkey to be around 150-200 calories, and the yorkshire pudding to be about 100. Any ideas? Thanks x

Replies

• Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    check their website.. I think all restaurants have to provide that data nowadays..
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    just skip breakfast. I did and my coffee creamer and vanilla Folgers coffee added to 60 calories for breakfast. Then I even got to add a piece of pie after dinner.......
  • ShaeLovelyy
    Options
    Honestly..take that night off from here..do well during the day and then screw up at night haah as healthy as turkey is..a few slices of deli meat is like 100 calories..so i dont think a resturaunt turkey breast would be any less than 400..even the weight watchers menu at apple bees and such are onlyyy about 430 calories..you never find much less than that. Studies show that if people allow themselves to indulge once in a while they will do better with their dieting. Just have fun..its christmas dinner! and then get back on track the next day. Or workout and burn super amounts of calories that day and eat the restauraunt food later. Its all good girl! when i got on here i was the same way..omggg me and my bf always go out to eat blah blah! Its just about balancing it with getting back on track the next day and picking the lesser of two evils on the menu. If its a difference between grilled turkey breast and fried chicken. obviously pick the turkey. Things like that. This is honestly some of the best advice you can use in your journey! good luck!
  • kwjmom
    kwjmom Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Nope, not everywhere has to post that info! Wish they did! :smile:
  • Guamybear
    Options
    Nope, not everywhere has to post that info! Wish they did! :smile:

I thought they passed a law that all restaurants had to provide a calorie count..
  • Guamybear
    Options
    Okay it is a law for chain restaurants with more than 20 locations..
  • mwbulechek
    mwbulechek Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I ate at a chain steak house tonight, managed only 773 calories, stay away from the potatoes and butter, pick a lean cut steak like the New York Strip, I had a 12 oz steak but only ate 1/2 of it. Also pick steamed veggies in place of fries or baked potatoes.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Watch out for sauces! Meat is often doused in them, which makes for many more calories. Ask for those on the side.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I look for the 'grilled chicken/vegetables' meal. Most places tend to have one. If they don't, ask for a couple of sides: steamed veggies, fruit, maybe brown rice. I've never had them balk at the request, and the food is a lot cheaper, and I can tip a little better.

Oh-- I just realized this is for a Christmas dinner. I say screw it, eat what you want. It's a celebration. An occasional cheat meal won't hurt you much, and will do wonders for your sanity. I do one a week. :)
  • mrslachance
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback guys! I appreciate it. :)

They don't do grilled chicken or anything, it is a christmas menu. I think I'll go for the turkey but be easy on the gravy sauce, luckily it doesn't have any potatos, etc.