Newbie to running

So a two weeks ago I decided to go for it and jogged on the treadmill for 2 lots of 5. Friday was my 4th time and I started with a brisk walk for 5 minutes, jogged for 5 minutes, walked 3, jogged 6, walked 2, jogged 8 and walked 1 minute. My question is why do I feel so sluggish at the beginning?
I feel I have more oomph for the second and then even more for the third round of jogging. During my first 5 minutes of jogging Im just constantly looking at the clock and feeling really sluggish. Is this normal?

Replies

• muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Sounds normal to me, if you really want to run just tell yourself to keep going, get use to a certain distance (intervals are great) and slowly change the intervals from more walking to less walking. One day you will look down and realize you are running a full mile or more. I would encourage you to get off the treadmill and try it outdoors too when possible, but baby steps.

Just keep going!
  • mom2nate08
    mom2nate08 Posts: 287 Member
    I don't have a scientific answer to the question, but I can offer a runners perspective. I run with a group of people every Saturday and the consensus is always the same - the first mile is the worst. After about the first mile we all notice that our stride and or breathing seem to fall into place and it gets easier. There is such a huge mental aspect involved in running, so maybe if you cover the clock and find something else to focus on it will make a difference. But at any rate, you are not alone in the sluggish start!