Apple-bodies, can you share your height & b-w-h ratio?

Options
Hi! I am female, 5'7" and 140lbs.
My bust-waist-hip ratio is: 36-30-39.
My body stores all its fat in the belly, love handles and flanks. (Unfortunately, not my bust).
When I check size charts (in Canada), my bust & hips are considered "size medium" but my waist is "size large" so I'm the opposite of an hour glass >__> Looking decent in a fitted dress can be a challenge!

My goal weight is 130lbs but what matters most to me is whittling that waist line down! I remember having a 28" waist at one time, so that is my waistline goal. I'm not sure if my rib cage allows for me to go smaller, but we will see. I was wondering if any other apple-body types would like to share their measurements or successes/challenges in getting the waist down!

My progress so far:
11/05..........144lbs :37-31-39
11/12..........142lbs (-2):37-31-39
11/19..........140lbs (-2):36-30-39

Replies

• acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I am a classic apple right now. I am a 51 year old female, 5'5" and when I started measuring on October 3rd, I was 38-33.5-39 and weighed 143.4. On November 21, I was at 135 lbs. and my measurements were 36.5-29.5-36. I still have a middle age pot belly, which ticks me off to no end! My goal is also 130 lbs, but the belly has me wondering if it will be enough. I do exercise, and have several that target my waist so that when I finally lose this belly fat, something besides loose skin will be there.
    I try to remind myself that the belly is where I first started gaining so it will be the last to go. Looking at old family pictures, almost every female was round. I was destined to have this challenge.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Wow, you have almost the same measurements I would have if I got back to 135lbs! Congrats on losing 4" off your waist, that must've felt great :) The belly will go in time, I have a friend who is 22 and recently lost a lot of weight so she's waiting for the pouch to tighten up too. My family are all apples... Skinny arms and legs with round bodies! When we do have a small middle, it means our chest and butt get flat -___- Hopefully my muscle will hold out!
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I'm an apple, but I'm certainly not a pear. When looking on the website with more body type options my measurements read as straight. My current measurements-

height- 5'8"
    weight- 174
    41/35/40
  • acogg
    Options
    Thanks! To tell you the truth I didn't notice the 4" loss until I typed my stats into my post. I am wearing small everything now, but I still FEEL fat. I think it's my fitness level, which I am working on. Hubby bought me Jullian's 30 Day Shred today, that should count for at least five pounds. lol
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    OP you sound pear shaped not apple..
    pears have larger lower bodies than upper bodies. apple are the reverse
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options

Yup OP, with those measurements, you're a pear like me (see pics in my profile).

edit - actually, you might be more like an hourglass, closer to goal... I'm more like a banana/pear
  • iorahkwano
    Options
    It sounds like it, but if you look at me I look more straight (as if I don't have a waist). If I measure my belly below the navel, it says my belly is the same measurement as my bust :/ I'm slim now, but when I gain weight it goes on my mid-section. My thighs and legs always stay slim. I think the only reason my hip measurement is 39" is because my butt grew from doing squats & stuff at kickboxing. My measurements used to be 36-30-36 when I was at a lighter weight. My bra size is 38A or a 36B.
  • gailt1959
    Options
    I am an apple too, current measurements 38-33-35, hate my fat stomach! Used to be 22" in my 20's (now 53), but trouble was had no boobs. Have them now but at a price of a fat belly which I have to lose as have very high cholesterol. Happy with my legs and bum.
    Wish there was a way just to slim your waist and keep the rest!
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I thought I was a pear but I also have a lot of fat on my tum and just no boobs so maybe I am an apple.

Height 5'4
    Mesurments 34-33-42
  • cappri
    Options
    I thought I was a pear but I also have a lot of fat on my tum and just no boobs so maybe I am an apple.

Height 5'4
    Mesurments 34-33-42

I would say pear with those measurements.
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options

Height 5'4
    Mesurments 34-33-42

I would say pear with those measurements.

Yeah, I was front of the line when the butts were being given out ^_^
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I am apple-shaped. I am 5'8" and 110 lbs (on my goal weight)
    even though i am trying to maintain now and not change anything, my body is still apple shaped, with really large waist. I used to hate it as a teenager but i learned not only to live with it but also to LOVE it (it helps that Candice Swanepoel also has large waist lol)
    it's what makes me different. And my doctor said it's good for my future babies, they're gonna be comfy :)
    i don't have measurements though.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    apple rolling in!

i'm 5ft
    weight 49kg's / 107.8lbs
    34 - 28.3 - 35

struggling to lose these bloody 11lbs!

anyone also have bad back fat?
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I used this website: http://suite101.com/article/determine-your-body-shape-a133904

I ended up being considered mostly apple, a bit hourglass (bust and hips within 2 inches), with a hint of pear. I think everyone is going to fluctuate a bit. I know for sure when I gain weight it is all in my stomach. I look sort of like a lolipop because it takes so long for weight to gain on my arms and legs (also I'm really tall). I have a feeling that when I get to a healthy BMI I'll be more hourglass.

Oh, and measurements. 42-35-44.
    Edit for height. 5'11"
  • cappri
    Options

According to this site I'm linear. This is the second calculator to tell me this. I wonder as I lose the more weight if this will change?
  • iorahkwano
    Options
    I am apple-shaped. I am 5'8" and 110 lbs (on my goal weight)
    even though i am trying to maintain now and not change anything, my body is still apple shaped, with really large waist. I used to hate it as a teenager but i learned not only to live with it but also to LOVE it (it helps that Candice Swanepoel also has large waist lol)
    it's what makes me different. And my doctor said it's good for my future babies, they're gonna be comfy :)
    i don't have measurements though.

That's a good plus side! I never thought of how a bigger waist affects babies!

As for back fat, I have that. Lower back or what some call "flanks." I sometimes have a fat roll/fold at the sides of my waist if you look at my back from behind. I don't like the lower back fat, I'm hoping if I build up muscle/fry more fat that it will slim down & make my butt look like it pops out more!
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    135 pounds
    5'2"
    39 bust
    34 waist (measured at belly button),
    38 hips

I went on the "Determin your body shape" and met three different shapes?!? Also, they recomend measuring at your narowest place instead of the belly button. If I do that then I have a 32 inch waist and according to the site, I am 1) an hourglass since my hips and bust are within 2 inches of each other, 2) a middle figure type(apple), and a 3.) linear shape. Did I have too much wine or have I lost my math skills?
  • acogg
    Options
    Naturely being an apple shape motivated me more than anything else. Because as apple shapes, we develop fat around our mid-section we are also most likely to add fat deposits to our mid-section organs.Heart, liver, kidneys, lungs. All the things that help us live active, healthy lives. That was my late, but most motivating revelation. My weight loss is not so much about vanity as much as I love my life and my loved ones. I still like the way I am looking and my hubbies reaction, but the thought of my heart having to pump around unknown amounts of fat is frightening! No food nor any exercise is going to stop me. I am going to win.
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    5'4 136 pounds
    34-29-38
    I tend to carry weight in my stomach, got the lower pouch going on. Always have had it..

At 200 I think my waist was around 38 inches. Craziness.
  • darleyschroeder
    Options

This is confusing to me because I have no butt at all, yet my hips measure larger than my waist. I literally have legs and a back...lol
    While my thighs def have the jiggle going on, they are relatively slim compared to my tummy area.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!