What to do about a flat butt?

Options

Replies

• Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the weighted squats (get down low) and lunges. Maybe also add an LBT class as well.

I have always had a small flat bum, but since starting strength training in February, I am proud to report that I am now the owner of a bubble butt (its not yet perfect but I am proud of it).
  • xSakura
    xSakura Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Definitely squats and lunges, but make sure you do them properly - Plenty of tutorials on YouTube :flowerforyou:
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    I bet it's largely genetic, and to do with your natural body shape.

However, I watched the Olympic Weightlifting this summer and was struck by the fact that all the competitors, male and female, had very nicely developed backsides. There were a couple who were a little flatter, but they were the exception. Sometimes watching the guys walk off the podium was the best bit .... but anyway ... I don't know how to develop a great butt, but whatever those Olympic lifters are doing, it seems to work.
  • Justkf
    Justkf Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Definetly squats and walking up steep hills helps. Bike riding too.
  • gailcoyle
    Options
    For some people squats and lunges are hard on the knees. I got a spot training workout from Jack La Lanne and in the you do what I call Donkey kicks....thats what he recommends. You get on hands and knees and one leg goes back and up like a donkey kicking. You can do different variations like slow or fast, also pulsing at the top of the stretch....it works great. Works the tummy muscle also....so a double duty workout.
  • Ann1964x
    Options
    I agree kettlebells help my flat booty

Since I started working out with kettlebells (Lauren Brooks DVDs), my butt has gotten rounder and higher. I would think this would be a step in the right direction if you had none at all to begin with. lol I've always had plenty of backside, but I'm really starting to like the shape of it now.
  • melindadunston
    Options
    Yes I belong to the same club. I agree with the girl that said insurance should cover surgery for it. It literally hurts to sit in the bathtub. I have such a pertruding (sp?) tailbone with no meat to cover it!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting. Squats and deadlifts.

Before is my butt on cardio. After is my butt on heavy weights (and some cardio). Mine was never so much flat as deflated after weight loss.

IMG_1293-copy2.jpg

I don't have any side views from before I started lifting, but the before is when I was doing machines and after is doing free weights about 4 months.

IMG_3558-copy.jpg
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    That is just like me, most of my fat in my middle, fairly lean arms/legs.

I used to have a really flat butt but after lifting heavy, squats (with weight), deadlifts etc etc and by eating to gain muscle (at least maintenance) my butt got bigger and less flat. This is how I am currently <<<<<< Not right how I want it to be yet, but getting there and a big improvement on what it used to be.

Get squatting! Oh, and make sure it's deep (below parallel) or you only really work your quads. Going deep works more of your hamstrings and glutes! :D
  • umhakim
    umhakim Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have always had a flat butt even when I was 130 pounds. My mother always said honey sorry you have to blame it on the "English" in you as they has "no *kitten* at all" . LOL So I just embrace my English side. Now the German side with the large hips thats a whole other story. LOL Hope you find what you are looking for.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I have always had a flat butt even when I was 130 pounds. My mother always said honey sorry you have to blame it on the "English" in you as they has "no *kitten* at all" . LOL So I just embrace my English side. Now the German side with the large hips thats a whole other story. LOL Hope you find what you are looking for.

Not quiiiiiite true. I have a very ample badonkadonk and I am English.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
  • IamBellaDea
    Options
    Squats in the shower? Yeah, if you want to slip and hurt yourself.
  • carolineire
    carolineire Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    *Looks forward to tons of squats... not!*
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I am one of those people with proportionately skinny arms and legs--which is nice. Along with that comes a proportionately flat but. Most of my chub is in my middle--not so nice.

So, while the fat is coming off and my legs are getting very muscular, I don't know what to do about this flat butt! Are there exercises that build the butt?

I have a flat butt. Or I should say that I HAD one.

Squats, squats, and more squats have helped fill it out nicely :)
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hvmathena
    Options
    I have been doing weighted squats three times a week for 5 weeks now My butt hasn't changed at ALL!

I am so frustrated I could cry :(
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    SQUATS WITH WEIGHTS!