no exercise no weight loss?

Options
I eat around 1000 calories a day and half the week exercise lightly and half I sit around working all day, bloody essay deadline period! I usually use the exercise bike daily when I go home but stick to skipping for 15minutes a few times a week.

Does weight loss really depend on both exercise and diet?
I'm so busy with work lately I just don't have the time to make for exercise a lot and I'm worried I'll come to a standstill!

Replies

• dexter4564
    dexter4564 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    If you keep the same calorie deficit by eating less and not doing as much exercise, you'll still lose weight. I've been recovering from a leg injury for the last ten days and I just adjusted my meals to have the same calorie deficit, still seeing the same results as when I was exercising 6 days/week.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Diet is the main part of weight loss. YOu can lose weight without exercise.

1000 calories a day is NOT enough though. You need to make sure you are properly fueling your body. Too little intake can hinder your progress.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Diet is the big thing with weight loss, but I have to say that 1000 calories a day is way to little for a 19 year old. I ran the numbers with a guess at your weight from your ticker, even at only 4 feet tall you should be eating at least 1300 calories or so for a reasonable deficit. That is being completely sedentary. Likely you are not completely sedentary since you do some activity on the exercise bike, and from what I remember of school (college) there is a fair amount of walking to simply get around campus. Likely you are lightly active, and likely you are taller than 4 feet tall which would increase your calorie need. Look here for more information and to figure out your numbers based on your real height and weight. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I was very successful with weight loss last year and noticed that I really didn't lose much when I was ONLY counting calories- I had to exercise, too. I tried for at least 3 times a week. I would mostly walk or ride my bike.

Hope that helps.
  • zhanaolivia
    Options
    I (generally) eat between 1200-1300cals a day and I have lost 7kg in about 3 month with no exercise. I don't *necessarily* recommend it, because exercise is obviously very good for health and muscle definition, but I just hate it. I'd much rather restrict myself than have to go jogging everyday. 1200 is actually quite a lot of food if you're clever. I also don't log any exercise that I actually do, because I think it's better to have consistent diet if you expect intermittent exercise to work. You ought to increase your calorie intake to at least 1200, or you may go into "starvation mode" or something similar.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Diet is the main part of weight loss. YOu can lose weight without exercise.

1000 calories a day is NOT enough though. You need to make sure you are properly fueling your body. Too little intake can hinder your progress.

This.
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    It depends on your numbers. I am 68 years old and weigh 130 lbs. I put my lifestyle as sedentary which it is unless I make a point of going out to exercise. Based on this information MFP says I use 1360 calories a day. I take in 1,200. With a daily deficit of only 160 calories my anticipated weight loss is less than half a pound a week. I am not that patient. I wear a fitbit and I try to burn an average of 400 calories a day in exercise. This allows me to lose about a pound a week and still eat a balanced diet.
  • ctgirlscout
    ctgirlscout Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1000-1200 calories per day and don't exercise much...just get on the treadmill occasionally. I also lead a sedentary lifestyle...so yes, you can lose weight without exercising if you maintain a calorie deficit. I've lost over 70 lbs in six months this way.
  • ashleeliza
    Options
    Thankyou for all of your replies!

I know 1000 is quite small but I find I can't really eat more than that on the ordinary day, I usually eat 800 but I've been forcing myself to add a little extra to each meal to get to 1000!
  • eyeliner128
    eyeliner128 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Someone on here told me, "Weight loss is in the kitchen, fitness is in the gym" - so, yes, you'll still lose weight as long as you have a calorie deficit. I can't exercise because of a medical condition so I always eat only 800-1000 calories a day.
  • GomesDavid
    Options
    i read here http://greatist.com/health/exercise-weight-loss-8-31-12/ that Exercise Doesn’t Always Lead to Weight Loss... but confused??

Weight loss occurs whenever you burn more calories than you take in. If you can exercise enough to burn more calories and would rather do that than cut calories, then exercise is the way to go. If, however, you're more willing to trim your portions than go out running, dieting will work better.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Thankyou for all of your replies!

I know 1000 is quite small but I find I can't really eat more than that on the ordinary day, I usually eat 800 but I've been forcing myself to add a little extra to each meal to get to 1000!

Are you recovering from an eating disorder?

If so, you may have hormonal issues at play that could take some time to recover from. Probably you still need to get to a point where you're eating enough for your hormones to recover to get back to a regular metabolism and response to calorie deficit. I wouldn't expect you to get the results you're really looking for until you do a sort of metabolism reset- take a diet break, eat more calories for a while, and let the hormones get back to normal.

To answer your original question- for most people weight loss can be accomplished entirely by diet, and body recomposition is done with exercise. Some things are changed by hormonal issues- for example I have thyroid disease, and don't do well without exercise.
  • patrox247
    Options
    I've lost 140 lbs in the last 11 months by counting calories with MFP phone app. I did this without exercise.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    you can still lose. But exercise is needed if you actually want to change the shape and tone of your body.
  • NathanielArca
    Options
    I eat around 1000 calories a day and half the week exercise lightly and half I sit around working all day, bloody essay deadline period! I usually use the exercise bike daily when I go home but stick to skipping for 15minutes a few times a week.

Does weight loss really depend on both exercise and diet?
    I'm so busy with work lately I just don't have the time to make for exercise a lot and I'm worried I'll come to a standstill!
    Not at all. One can reduce their body fat and body weight by simply eating at a caloric deficit (eating below your TEE (total energy expenditure). Although I do recommend you try and do a bit more cardio as it's beneficial to your overall health.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Yes you can eat more. You need to start eating more calorie dense foods. You definitely need more protein. Have a look here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/804985-this-is-how-hard-it-is-to-reach-1200-calories

By the way, avoid all diet food and eat normal food.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1600 a day and rarely exercise and I'm losing just fine :flowerforyou:
  • Cazzy34
    Cazzy34 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I generally eat between 1000 and 1250 per day. I don't usually do regular exercise either. I sit most of the day and any "exercise" i do is usually walking. I have lost weight this way too.

So you can do it. And for me eating around 1000 -1250 cals per day is fine. I also eat back any exercise cals when i get them :)

Stick with it :) x
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I intially lost weight without exercise but it is still very important for health.

And as i'm sure you know, 1000 calories is no where near enough. You may lose weight now, but what do you expect to happen years from now when your eating more? Even a small amount like 1500 would make you gain weight very quickly because you ate so low for too long. Excuses that it's hard to reach 1000 just don't cut it. I'm sure you have time to fit in some small snack more often or add more fat like nut butters and oils to increase your calories intake. If your not at a stand still with 1000 now, you will be eventually.

I know it wasn't your question but if your going to post that info on a public form then I feel I should at least say something about it coming from an eating disorder past... There are a lot of food options that are healthy and will significantly increase your calories without making you uncomfortable if your problem really is just not being about to reach a good amount.