Outside knee pain whilst running

Options
Hi guys,

Hoping someone can help with my issue. I had this problem a few months ago so I started stretching more and not pushing myself for further mileage, which seemed to do the trick. However 2 mile into my morning run my knee started to hurt again. It's on the outside-back of my left knee. It hurts when this leg is back, bending forward to come to the front. It hurts worse downhill, not TOO bad flat and "better" when uphill. It doesn't effect me at all once walking however towards the end of my run it did start a little.

What exercises or stretches am I best doing? I've looked online but they aren't specific to the outside-back of the knee.

I stretch before and after for 10 mins, and my trainers were new a couple of months ago (I was assessed on a treadmill)

Any help would be very much appreciated!!

Rach

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Google IT band problems and see if the description sounds like what you are experiencing. Then go to YouTube and search for IT band and you'll see stretches and routines to help. Heads up: you're going to want to get a foam roller
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I would try to see a doctor if I were in your shoes. I am currently laid up from running with a knee injury with no end to it in sight, I really messed myself up. I Kept running despite the pain and that was a mistake.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I agree with DavPaul. Sounds like IT band syndrome. I had it last spring. Specific stretches and lots of foam rolling really does the trick!
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    www.runnersrescue.com my first stop for any running injuries/niggles.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    What does a foam roller do that an oil massage won't? Surely a touch of a base oil like sunflower or grapeseed and the heel of your hand is better than a roller; more versatile.
  • SLRamirez2012
    Options
    Sounds like an iliotibial band (IT band injury) I would look into s]possibly seeing a doctor about it
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a visit to the doctor's. You might have a navicular stress fracture in your foot which could be causing the issues you are describing. This is what happen to me. Now, I am doing additional strength training on the area.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    What does a foam roller do that an oil massage won't? Surely a touch of a base oil like sunflower or grapeseed and the heel of your hand is better than a roller; more versatile.

why not do both? i don't know about your hands, but my rumble roller is stronger than my hands and doesn't get tired.
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the others. Sounds like IT Band Syndrome. I'm currently undergoing Physical Therapy for mine. It was so severe any time I'd attempt a run of any significant distance that it would be debilitating and I could barely walk. Oh, the pain!! I'm in training for my first Full Marathon in January and if I had any hope of completing it, I needed to seek professional help.

Check for stretches and exercises online, but it may be worthwhile to at least go talk to a Physical Therapist. I did 7 miles yesterday pain free, when just a couple weeks ago (before starting PT) I had to drop out in the middle of a 10 mile race cuz I was hurting so bad. Some people swear by foam rollers (my sis-in-law, and fellow runner, is one of them)... I haven't done it since my first visit to the PT when she was having me try all kinds of stretches and exercises.

Since everything in our bodies is connected, the pain in one place could be stemming from any number of compounded isses. Since seeing my PT, I've learned that tightness in my lower back, tight hamstrings and calf muscles, and weak inner thigh muscles are all contributing to my IT Band issues. Which surprised me! I thought I had pretty decent flexibility and my thighs were like tree trunks. lol So you never know. It's not always about stretching. You may need to work on strengthening. They recommended (which I had already been thinking about) that strengthening the core would help the rest of the body, too. And I realized that I had been so focused on my Marathon training and getting my runs in, that all my other training had fallen to the wayside. So now, on my off-run days, I've gotten back on with my other workouts (Insanity, or something) to help the rest of my body recondition and get stronger.

And now that I've babbled on... Good luck with your running, and I hope you find something that works for you to help your pain. Take care of that body... it's the only one you have! :)
  • sirabe
    sirabe Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    This is good information. I have been having this pain too.
  • rachjenn
    Options
    Hi all
    Many thanks for all of your replies! I tried the ice pack last night which didnt help. Found some great videos on YouTube now I know what the problem is. Also going to see my osteopath who knows sports injuries as well. This issue stopped me running for months earlier this year so I know how important it is not to carry on exercising. Ive done pilates for years too so I thought my legs were pretty strong. Will let you know how I get on

Thanks again
    Rach
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Yup, I agree with the IT Band issue, as I'm currently on a running hiatus due to it. I was training for my first full and then pain started 9.5 miles into a 12 mile run. I got about another mile in and then it was so bad I had to walk home. I ended up missing a Half and my Full due to this. I went to a sports doc, then spent a month in PT which seemed to help. They found out the tight spots were in my calf, thigh and part of my glute. The issue may be with your hips and not legs, but the doc will know better than us. I was able to get through 7 miles after PT with a run/walk interval strategy but then I think ended up reinjuring it due to some high impact cardio (TurboFire) because the pain came back. I've just had an MRI to rule out any possible tears and whatnot, and am on a 2-3 month running break. In the meantime I'm doing Pilates, stationary bike, and swimming.. Def get that foam roller, and work on strengthening/stretching your lower body. Good luck to you!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you're suffering acute pain stop running until the problem has been addressed, most minor running injuries stay that way unless we tough it out (I learned that the hard way.....and missed 6 weeks of running last year as a result).

It does sound like a possible IT band problem (do you feel tightness along the outside of your thigh too?)

Interestingly weak glutes and/or hips often will manifest themselves as knee pain too

Here are a few links that I hope will help:

http://news.menshealth.com/it-band-syndrome/2012/07/27/

http://www.saturdaymorningzen.com/2010/10/exercises-to-strengthen-glutes-hips-and-it-band/

http://www.runnersworld.com/health-injuries

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/fitness/running/strengthening-beats-stretching-when-it-comes-to-this-common-running-injury/article4365074/
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

why not do both? i don't know about your hands, but my rumble roller is stronger than my hands and doesn't get tired.

This.

Foam roller is much more effective than self-massage for this kind of thing, in my experience. If you're getting a massage done by a therapist, great, but for work at home, I've found my roller and a tennis ball are my best friends.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    The difference between a hand from a disadvantaged position and up to 80% of her body weight would be a butt load of force.
  • rachjenn
    Options
    Thanks guys
    Brian - I don't feel tightness there, I do feel it at the back of my knee though. I found a great exercise on youtube where you put one leg infront of the other, then stretch down and I couldn't do it as the pain behind my knee was so tight. I stretch that often. Thanks for the links. On one the girl describes her bum being a problem. I may have found the answer. A few years ago I kept getting a bad back and it was because one of my cheeks was bigger than the other, causing bum-up to lean one way and bum-down the other, so in the middle I was twisted. Will go back to the same osteopath who told me this