Learning to run - always cramping calf

Options
Over the summer I thought I would take up running. I downloaded a running ap, bought some fancy running shoes, stuck in my insoles, as I have super high arches and took it outside.

I must run like a moron, with my feet going every which way, because after just a couple minutes, I would always end up with a debilitating cramp/knot/charliehorse in the same exact spot on my left calf.

I warmed up, stretched, tried out door and treadmill running, took weeks off of attempting to let it heal, and as soon as I'd start, it would come back up.

I imagine I must just have oddball foot placement (or whatever you want to call it) which aggravates my calf. Any tips on how to try and correct this? My pace is already incredibly slow, and I've tried to concentrate on my feet, but that didn't help - probably because I'm not sure what I need to concentrate on.

Also, going out and buying $200 running sneakers and getting my feet patterns tested and all that jazz is out of the question - I'm not *that* interested in it :p It just seems like a nice easy way to exercise on nice days.

Right now, I am doing random Insanity videos for cardio, and that doesn't cause any issues. I still have a dull cramp in that area, I think it is permanent now, but it doesn't flare up at all while doing that.

Replies

• a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Bump?
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Are you hydrating properly? What about potassium?

Make sure you are getting plenty of water and hit your RDA for potassium, and see if that makes a difference
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    heel striking and uneven terain does that to me
    :grumble:
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Interesting, I would have never thought of diet. I suppose I can induldge in another banana or two ;)

Will also keep an eye on not doing heel first. Thanks :)
  • maberdine
    maberdine Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Two thoughts.

1. Make sure you are well hydraded before you start running.
    2. Warm up well. Start with a brisk walk then progress to a slow run before hitting your pace.

I had similar problems when I first started running. This was the advise I got from a co-worker who runs marathons and it solved the problem for me.

Good luck.