fitness app (strength)

Options
I'm looking for an android app, that has different levels of fitness exercises (especially strength for all body parts, preferably using my own body weight) and actually leads you through it. It should install on the sd-card and I'm also willing to pay something as long as it's worth it :).

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Bump as I will be interested in other replys
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    The first thing that came to mind for me was Fitocracy. Knowing nothing about apps I did a quick google search and the site says that an Android app is coming. If so, I'd recommend! I love that site, has a lot more exercise/strength related stuff and levels.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about using You Tube.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Jefit is a well application for strength training - but may be a bit more 'advanced' than you're looking for.
  • Ellieus
    Ellieus Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    jefit is not installing as I have rather little phone space >:(.

I thought about youtube, but I'm not so keen about actual fitness videos and I'd like to have it offline...
  • Ellieus
    Options
    fitocracy looks good. Hope they hurry up on the app.
  • marooned
    marooned Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    check out workout trainer by skimble ... it has free and pay; but plenty of variety in the free
  • trigger2354
    trigger2354 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I use and quite like Fitness Buddy. The paid version has over 1700 exercises in its database, with pictures and descriptions about how to do each one. It has an entire section of body weight only exercises for all body parts. You can use the library to custom build your own workouts, or you can choose from a very generous selection of on board workouts, including some workouts that consist exclusively of body weight exercises. You can even enter your own exercises if you have some that you enjoy but that aren't included in the 1700 exercises.

I've used it to assemble and track several different types of workouts from heavy lifting, to crossfit type workouts. You can also track cardio workouts (running, cycling, rowing, etc.), though I much prefer Endomondo for tracking these workouts. It also gives you a place to record your weight and host of other body measurements (biceps, chest, waist, etc.)

It's very easy to record and recall workouts so you know exactly the weights and reps you've done before. It's a very good tool to aid you in making sure you are progressing, for the most part.

It has weaknesses, however. It frequently crashes. I thought perhaps it was my phone, but I've ready many others who complain of the same issue. It's not necessarily fatal when it crashes. I just start it up again and it runs fine. I've never lost any data when it crashes, so it's mostly just a nuisance.

I also wish the exercises in its database that are more suitably tracked by time and reps offered this option. All of the exercises in its database force you to track them as weight and reps which just doesn't fit some of the exercises. If you custom create the exercises, you have many options as to how to track them, but the ones that come native to the application can only be tracked as weight and reps (except the cardio exercises). I also wish the app would generate progress charts for custom exercises, as it does for the native exercises. It will generate a printed history of all exercises, custom or native, but only the native exercises can be charted.

I also wish it had a companion website like Endomondo where everything is uploaded. I worry that if I lose my phone to theft or accident, I will lose all my data. I do back it up to my laptop using MobileGo, but it isn't an automatic process. I have to remind myself to back it up, and my memory is hardly a reliable application. But even with its warts, I really like app and use it almost daily.
  • Ellieus
    Options
    worked with the workout trainer and I really like it. I think I'm going to stick with that for a while.

Thanx everybody!!
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I use gymrat for tracking what i do on what days etc, its got some good features.
  • Ellieus
    Options
    just so everyone knows ;)
    I started using the workout trainer by skimble and really liking it! Most of the workouts are really well thought out and motivating. No annoying soundtrack if you don't want it and a great variety.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for something to tell you what to do or just to track what you are doing? I would recommend doing a proven lifting routine and tracking it with.....dunt dunt duhhhh, My Fitness Pal.