Diet Coke

Options

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Bottom line is that its not healthy for you. There is no redeeming quality about it. If you drink it in moderation though it should not hinder your weight loss. Personally, I quit drinking diet Pepsi (which I loved for years) and all other sodas on 8/1 and have never looked back.
    Please back your statements up with facts and not opinions.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have lost a few pounds drinking 2 to 3 Diet Pepsi a day........ Still drink over 125 oz. of water too a day but won't be giving up my soda anytime soon.... Best of Luck
  • cailinlowe
    cailinlowe Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    make sure you're drinking water as well. the sodium will make you hold on to water weight
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Bottom line is that its not healthy for you. There is no redeeming quality about it. If you drink it in moderation though it should not hinder your weight loss. Personally, I quit drinking diet Pepsi (which I loved for years) and all other sodas on 8/1 and have never looked back.
    Read the study I posted above for starters then do a search on aspartame side effects.
  • jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    Options

It's not healthy for you because there are no nutrients in it. No proteins, carbs, or fats. No vitamins, minerals, etc. That doesn't mean it's bad for you or dangerous, but it has no health value as it doesn't provide any nourishment for your body. It may satisfy a desire for a carbonated or caffeinated drink, but it doesn't have health benefits. (With that being said, I enjoy a diet soda a few times a week!)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Read the study I posted above for starters then do a search on aspartame side effects.

You do realize there is 4 times the amount of aspartame in a 3 oz. chicken breast than there is in a single can of diet pepsi.... Would you quit eating the chicken breast knowing this??? Now there are individual out there that are sensitive to it but the vast majority would have to consume massive amounts of it to even begin to cause any serious health risks....
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Uh, I'll take my advice from the guy that's lost 311 POUNDS. Thank you very much!
  • casperuk
    casperuk Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/06/aspartame-most-dangerous-substance-added-to-food.aspx

Anecdotally, when I stopped drinking full sugar coke etc and moved to diet, the only one I liked was Diet Irn Bru. Since I started drinking it I got at least 2 migraines a week. After having one a year if I was unlucky. Since I have stopped diet drinks I haven't had one. And my memory and ability to do my job has also increased. I am not banging a drum here as that's not what I am like, it just shocked me when I heard about it effecting memory and causing issues and then when I stopped and stopped getting headaches its kind of cemented my resolve to not drink them.

Anyway I just come here thru a friends page so I wont be reading replies, just thought I'd offer that link and my own view on what I think was giving me headaches.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    It's not healthy for you because there are no nutrients in it. No proteins, carbs, or fats. No vitamins, minerals, etc. That doesn't mean it's bad for you or dangerous, but it has no health value as it doesn't provide any nourishment for your body...
    Using the above parameters, one could argue that water is not healthy for you either...yet the body won't last long without it.

Nobody in their right mind will classify soda (diet or otherwise) as "health food", but that doesn't mean it's poison in a can either. As far as the sodium content goes, diet soda has less of it than many other so-called "healthy/clean" foods.

As far as the OP, diet soda will not hinder/stop weight loss. Many here (myself included) have successfully lost weight while still indulging in diet soda.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I have heard mixed reviews. I really don't like it.. but need the caffeine and like the carbonation! I am a Coca-Cola girl.

BUT what I am asking is... Does it hinder the weight loss? Do I need to drink 3489483 gallons of water after drinking one so I can knock out that possible water gain from all the sodium? OR is it wonderful and counts as drinking AIR?

Does this make any sense? I hope so! :wink:

food without calories is food without calories. for diet coke to slow your weight loss, you'd have to eat something with it.

sodium can make you retain water. water is not fat.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    You do realize there is 4 times the amount of aspartame in a 3 oz. chicken breast than there is in a single can of diet pepsi.... Would you quit eating the chicken breast knowing this??? Now there are individual out there that are sensitive to it but the vast majority would have to consume massive amounts of it to even begin to cause any serious health risks....

http://www.naturalnews.com/aspartame.html

That page has a list of research and articles.

As for chicken breast I can't find much information. but if it really contains that much aspartame in the same form as in diet drinks then yes I would quit eating it.
  • jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    It's not healthy for you because there are no nutrients in it. No proteins, carbs, or fats. No vitamins, minerals, etc. That doesn't mean it's bad for you or dangerous, but it has no health value as it doesn't provide any nourishment for your body...
    Using the above parameters, one could argue that water is not healthy for you either...yet the body won't last long without it.

Nobody in their right mind will classify soda (diet or otherwise) as "health food", but that doesn't mean it's poison in a can either. As far as the sodium content goes, diet soda has less of it than many other so-called "healthy/clean" foods.

As far as the OP, diet soda will not hinder/stop weight loss. Many here (myself included) have successfully lost weight while still indulging in diet soda.

I said this didn't mean it was unhealthy or dangerous. Did you read the entire post? The guy before asked for facts for why it wasn't healthy. I explained why it wasn't healthy. I also clearly said that it wasn't dangerous.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to Diet Mt Dew. I make myself drink 32 oz of water before i can have a diet dew. Its just a thing I do to get more water in!
    I dont see me ever giving up my pop!
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    From many people say it doesn't hinder weight loss, but it is still terrible for you. You have all those artificial sweeteners that your body doesn't know how to process correctly, the phosphoric acid that leaches calcium from your teeth and causes erosion, and artificial color (specifically 'red 40' which is derived from coal..... do you really wanna put that in your body!)

I would recommend trying fizzy water, because that is carbonated but doesn't have the other stuff. I would recommend the brand 'La Croix'. I love the stuff :smile:

(Added: If you do drink some soda, I do sometimes, just drink a few extra glasses of water.)
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    It won't hinder weight loss in and of itself. It could, however, make you crave other foods. If you log and watch what you eat, you should be fine
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    i like the zevia sodas, a little pricey but they are all natural and no calories

^^ This. I like them too. I also like some seltzer waters, but honestly, I find some of them seem a little aggressively carbonated (I'm not sure why it seems different - maybe just because I'm used to being able to drink water quickly). They do have interesting flavors of seltzer these days.
  • Robot1976
    Robot1976 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't think it has hindered my weight loss (i lost weight while drinking it), but I notice a marked difference on the scale when I don't drink it. Probably because instead of a baby can of Coke Zero, I drink a bunch of water.

If you are thinking of cutting it out (or even down), the first few days (a week or so even) are hard, but now, I hardly miss it.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to Diet Mt Dew. I make myself drink 32 oz of water before i can have a diet dew. Its just a thing I do to get more water in!
    I dont see me ever giving up my pop!
    Plus, if I am feeling under the weather, its the only thing that helps me stomach!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I drink Coke Zero occasionally. I don't like the taste of any diet beverages, but I buy POM pomegranate juice and add about 1 tablespoonful to my drink. It adds less than 10 calories and makes the Coke taste great! Diet beverages may not be the healthiest thing to drink, but they don't keep you from gaining weight.

BTW a tablespoonful of POM makes any diet beverage taste good. (I wouldn't put it in diet cocoa.)
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    im addicted to coke zero like its crack! first thing i do before work is stop at qt and then again on the way home. its prob not the best thing to drink but its def not the worst. im not downing a bottle of vodka daily so no worries.