Running advice

Options
I recently quit smoking, about a month or two ago. I was not a smoker for years, only about 1 and a half, but obviously it takes its toll. I was very active in college and used to run or go to the gym everyday but I'm having trouble getting back into the swing of things now. Anyone in the same boat or has been in the same boat?

Replies

• jstandfield
    jstandfield Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking and started running a few years ago. It is a slow process but I think running is the fastest way to counter the effects smoking has on the body. Just start out short distances and increase each week. I used time as my goal. I started with steady running for 10 minutes and added 2 minutes per week until I got to an hour. I typically run4 times per week 30 minutes per run. Good luck.
  • kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    The lungs actually fix themselves quite quickly, aruond a few weeks if not too much damage has been done. Your blood which has had its haemoglobin hijacked by carbon monoxide will replace itself in around 3 months. So keep at it and you will feel the difference and benefits quite soon, and well done for quitting smoking: the best thing a smoker can ever do. I quit smoking after a heart attack just over 2 years ago. Strange how something like that was able to completely removed my desire to smoke again. :wink:
  • CoachB6
    CoachB6 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    When I quit smoking, it was so I could run! I didn't really notice any difference until about 5 months later in regards to feeling faster. But just in regards to being able to do runs and feeling the difference I'd say about 2 months. But I had smoked much longer than you.... Best of luck with quitting and your runs. You'll feel the difference in more ways than just your lungs though. :-)