Adult Females - Should Ribs Show ?

Options
I am just curious, having read that in healthy weight children, ribs should be clearly visible, if you are also meant to be able to see ribs in healthy adults, in particular females?

I ask because the only time I am really able to see my ribs clearly(when not breathing in or stretching), as in, in a defined way, has been when underweight, or bordering on underweight.

Replies

• Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't think they should. There should be a little padding over the ribs unless you are into body building which is a whole other kettle of fish.
  • annams76
    annams76 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I don't think they should be visible on adults and I didn't know they said you should be able to see them on children. My daughter is right on target for weight and height and you cannot just see her ribs.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a different body type. At a healthy weight, one person is going to look different from the other.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, and yes, someone's paediatrician in another thread told her that children's ribs should be visible at a healthy weight.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    My ds has visible ribs and this worried me. I feel better now :laugh:

I suspect visible ribs would happen at a really low weight for me. I like when I get to a shape where I have collar bones and maybe a hint of where my rib cage is, but that's about the lowest I'll go, for the moment.
  • BigRich822
    Options
    My only show when I lift my arms up, but that is only beacuse my body fat content is so low
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how your body fat is distributed to be honest. Visible ribs 'at rest' would be a bit of a red flag to pay attention to being underfat - but someone is not necessarily underweight if they have them. It really depends on how much they show also.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Mine are "hint of ribs" visible, not "counting each rib" visible.

When I can count them, I know I need to add a few pounds.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I'm 18, so an "adult" haha

My ribs show when I stretch and things like that but they're not popping out of my skin!
  • MiCool90
    MiCool90 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    not my cup of tea
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Mine show a little, I am 5ft5, 124lbs. I am nowhere near 'too thin' so it depends on the individual.
  • isitsororo
    Options
    Generally yes. Mine show on my chest, front ribcage, side, and maybe back. If I couldn't see them I'd think there was too much fat on me.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    my ribs show even at a healthy weight because i don't generally gain weight up there. i'm not really a fan of that look, but i'd rather not be overweight.
  • debdelilah
    Options
    Women gain body fat % as part of puberty...and men gain muscle mass...and both things lead to a healthy bmi being higher in adulthood.
  • fizzletto
    fizzletto Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    If I stretch, or breathe in, you can see them. but if I'm relaxed you can't see them. And I'm 118lbs, BMI of 20.4, which is the lower end of healthy weight. I think in order to see my ribs when 'letting it all hang out' as it were, I'd have to be underweight.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and 160 lbs and my ribs show, when I was 120 lbs my ribs completely showed and my hip bones stuck out quite a bit but the rest of me looked good and healthy it all depends on how you wear your weight.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    not sure with adults, though would not have thought so. both my sons as little kids and young teenagers, had ribs on show despite eating tonnes of food but then all the kids in our family were like that (as in nieces and nephews) so think it is a family trait. Now they are early 20s they are still thin but no ribs to be seen unless they stretch. I would however take what the doc said with a pinch of salt as many kids are built differently but still healthy. the boys in our family have no waists, are very skinny looking but have big heads but are no more or less healthy that kids that carry a little bit of pre pubity weight.
  • StyxxandStones
    Options
    I'm 6', 155 and mine show a bit. the bottom one is clearly visible all the time. when standing up straight, the others show a little, when stretching, you could count them. i am okay with it. my bf % is 19.5, so healthy, and no where near underweight.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    The amount of body fat that's considered healthy is different for children, adult women and adult men. I've also seen that children's ribs are normally visible when they are at a healthy weight (on reputable, medical sites). I wouldn't be worried if the bottom of a woman's rib cage or the collar bone could be discerned, but it would seem odd (and I'd worry) if you could distinguish individual ribs.
    P.S. I meant "at rest". When stretching or something, I would think seeing ribs, especially on the back could be in the healthy range. In my late teens, when I was close to, but not underweight (according to my doctor and charts), you could see my lower ribs, especially in some positions.
  • Sharkington
    Options
    I have to agree with the people who say that it all depends on your body type. I consider myself to be at a healthy weight - certainly not underweight. and a few of my ribs show - and more if I stretch. They don't stick out a lot, but you can see some of the lines through the skin. I don't consider it unhealthy looking; I just don't carry a lot of fat in that specific area naturally, I think.