Adult Females - Should Ribs Show ?

Options
2»

Replies

• skinnyfit09
    Options
    I've always been underweight and I have a low body fat percentage and my ribs don't show. The only time they do is if I suck it in a lot or lean really far back.

I think it just has to do with how your body is built. I had a friend who was classic pear shape and kinda chubby from the hips down. Her ribs stuck out a lot, you could clearly see them all the time. I think she just had a big rib cage.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is different. My ribs show even when I'm a bit plump. I have a long upper body so tend to look leaner than someone else the same height and weight.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Mine show and I'm not underweight. I mean, they're not jabbing through my skin or anything, but as someone above said, there's a "hint of rib." I just have a lean torso.
  • WVmom24
    WVmom24 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    If the woman is standing up, no I don't think it looks healthy. If a woman is laying down or bending somehow, it's perfectly normal for ribs to show if she is thin.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    No
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I have one rib that is out of whack and shows even when I'm overweight. My ribs always showed when I was a child, and they would show now except that my boobs sag over them. TMI, sorry. Actually, from the side, you can see two ribs, plus you can see my rib cage below my collarbone and above my boobs very faintly. I like it.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I think there is a bit of confusion..."Look at the dog's ribs. When you feel for the ribs, you should be able to feel each individual rib, with a thin layer of fat over the bone. If you can see each rib, the dog is too thin; if you cannot feel any ribs at all, the dog is too heavy." I am not sure if this is the same for adult humans...seriously though, I say if you are concerned, ask your doctor.
  • jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It is just genetics. I have protruding bones, (cheeks, hip bones, collarbone and ribs) and I am overweight-obese on the BMI scale. The only change when I was 'underweight' on the BMI scale was that my ribs also stuck out in the back.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on ur body type. I can see my ribs, but I'm not underweight. Mostly I can see mine in my chest.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I always lose weight up top first, and I have a low BMI as it is (18.5 to 19 depending on the time of day), so yes, my ribs show, especially if I lift my arms up.

That said, I do get plenty to good healthy food to eat, have lots of energy, and am super strong for a woman of my size. I can do pull ups like there's no tomorrow because of how light I am, as well as how strong I am.

So to answer your question, yes it absolutely can be okay.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think that for most people the ribs should not be sticking out. For a few body types that may not be the case. It's certainly not necessary.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, I guess it might depend on ribcage size.
    I can see my ribs currently whether breathing in or pushing out.
  • shanpwn
    shanpwn Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I think this is a case of body type and genetics. My ribs have always been visible, even when I was very overweight. Now that I'm normal, they're prominent.
  • trishaseren
    trishaseren Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    No matter what my weight is my ribs always show, I'm just naturally thin through my torso but put on weight on my hips, bum and thighs. People have told me I'm too thin because they can see my ribs but I've always been within a healthy weight range for my height.

I noticed it more when I was doing weights with my trainer infront of a mirror at the gym, I freaked myself out watching them expand when I breathed!
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    No matter what my weight is my ribs always show, I'm just naturally thin through my torso but put on weight on my hips, bum and thighs.

I am exactly the same! My ribs hid a bit when I put on two stone but even though I still have plenty of fat in the other areas my ribs are still pretty visible, and I'm kind of undecided as to how I feel about that.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    In my late teens/early twenties, my ribs showed. I was on the lower side of healthy at the time, but I wouldn't say I was underweight. Maybe in high school I might have been underweight by the BMI scale, but honestly, I was healthy. I ate well and had plenty of energy.

I think healthy is more about the way you feel rather than the way you look. If you're weak, you should probably build some muscle. If you're not weak, don't worry about it. Everyone has a skeleton that is shaped differently. Some people have ribs that stick out, while others don't. It's kind of like the thigh gap... it's not a necessarily an indicator of health.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how your body fat is distributed to be honest.
    Totally. I've decided to stop losing weight for now even though I'd like to trim a wee bit more fat off my lower body, because my ribs are showing way more than I like. On average I don't think I'm underweight, but the distribution isn't perfect -- nothing to do for it I guess.
  • lindabee77
    lindabee77 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Mine show a lot, I can see every rib. I am 5'8" and around 135 lbs so not underweight. I think it just depends on your body. I think I would like it better if they didn't show auite as much but I would need to gain a lot for that to happen. They didn't show too much when I was 160 but started showing up by about 150 lbs.
  • bekinator
    Options
    Everyone has a different body type. At a healthy weight, one person is going to look different from the other.

Have to agree here... I'm a 6'0" chick & can see my ribs, and still could when I was 285lbs- they just stuck out more back then. Funny thing, they shrink as I do, and my girth responds to my fitness level. So when I'm overweight, I don't just have a big belly, I get bigger all over- ribs, shoulders, and all... yes this sucks as a girl!

Genetic I think- our body structures all hold weight differently.
  • bgraz1994
    bgraz1994 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've always had a bonier upper body and carry my weight below my waist. Standing normally the ribs in my back and my collar/bone are quite visible but I am at a healthy weigh. It all depends on how you are built!