Is swimming good for you?

I like swimming and walking but not a great fan of going to the gym, do you guys know if I can tone up by swimming and walking? Any suggestions please?

Replies

• moounir
    moounir Posts: 41 Member
    I will start this week swimming. I have a problem with my knee so it's the better sport i can do to ton up without to hurt it.
  • welshwoofer
    welshwoofer Posts: 56 Member
    I'm not a fan of the gym and have lost my weight through swimming, jogging and walking and trying to stick to the cal allowance.
    Anything that gets you moving will work - swimming is especially good if you have quite a bit of weight to lose as its non-weight bearing and you can make it as vigourous as you like and no-one can see you as you're in the water! Bonus!
  • so for swimming, swimming burns like 8-10 calories/minute if you're going at a steady pace and not stopping. Running/walking, of course will do the trick too, if you're looking to get into running try downloading my personal running trainer on your iPod touch, iPhone or droid if you have one. if not,

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    this is also an iPhone app called "Couch to 5k" but you can follow it off here too.

these programs have done wonders for me.
  • lostsouls65
    lostsouls65 Posts: 36 Member
    I lost quite a bit in the past by swiming, my worry is a I get older I might end up with saggy skin :-(
  • cally69
    cally69 Posts: 182 Member
    I love swimming, it's a great cardio burn and it's fun. Was stepping and walking but since I added swimming the weight is coming off faster.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Swimming is great if you get that magic groove of kick, stroke and breathe. It makes it look effortless while maintaining a great burn.
    I, on the other hand, flail about like a blind seal. Which maintains a burn. Of sorts.
  • med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    my ex started swimming when we were going out because i used to swim. he was very lanky. after 3 months of training hard you could see some very nice results. toned, loss of fat and muscles :) it works your back and its good if you have problems with posture as well because it strengthens those back muscles. helped with my scoliosis.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Why wouldn't it be? Swimming is an excellent form of cardio. If you enjoy it and have access to a pool, then have fun!
  • lostsouls65
    I will start this week swimming. I have a problem with my knee so it's the better sport i can do to ton up without to hurt it.
    [/quote

great tips guys, I will stick to swimming and waling then :-)
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Yes, swimming is an excellent source of cardio.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Nope, it's terrible for you. Especially when you drown.
  • lostsouls65
    my ex started swimming when we were going out because i used to swim. he was very lanky. after 3 months of training hard you could see some very nice results. toned, loss of fat and muscles :) it works your back and its good if you have problems with posture as well because it strengthens those back muscles. helped with my scoliosis.

The gym bored me no end! I love swimming, can swim about 60-70 lenghts when in the mood, I think I will start going again, thanks for the tips
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    I like swimming and walking but not a great fan of going to the gym, do you guys know if I can tone up by swimming and walking? Any suggestions please?

Swimming for men. I would highly recommend swimming for a man's workout regimen, as one of the alternatives to his programme. I had one boyfriend who was 180 lb and buff, who'd never entered the gym to workout. He was a swimmer - expert butterfly stroke, is a competition professional surfer and a leisure scuba-diver. There was nary an ounce of fat on him and all my male cousins who are swimmers and surfers and the like, are equally ripped - lean and tightly muscled, where the torso looks elongated and not squashed.

If you're worried about the weights element, you could purchase water weights you may strap on to your arms, your waist, your thighs and ankles or you can look into fitness clubs with resistance swimming (they strap you on to some kind of a pulley gadget, which pulls you back, as you swim forward).

To start to shed the weight I recommend - Freestyle.
    To tone and sculpt the male form beautifully, I would suggest you inculcate both the butterfly and the backstroke strokes.

If you're finding that you need to apply attention to your obliques, then you need to do land practice exercises of your breathing. Practice on land, before hitting the water. Three to 4 strokes. Be certain that at the 4th or 3rd stroke, before you breathe, that your body turns at a full 45 degrees to open that space for a breath - first on land - where the breath is taken beneath your arm. As your arm sinks back into the water, your breath should've been taken, then straighten up your form. Make sure that it's a peak (a right angle peak) at every stroke.

Edit: Remember to breathe on both sides, so you can sculpt both sides evenly. Some people tend to favour one side over the other. Also purchase silicone ear plugs - I prefer the squishable kinds for it molds right into your ear canal and blocks out all the water.
  • lostsouls65
    Thanks for that great advise! I will try and go swimming 3 times a week, you have given me so much motivation.

Swimming for men. I would highly recommend swimming for a man's workout regimen, as one of the alternatives to his programme. I had one boyfriend who was 180 lb and buff, who'd never entered the gym to workout. He was a swimmer - expert butterfly stroke, is a competition professional surfer and a leisure scuba-diver. There was nary an ounce of fat on him and all my male cousins who are swimmers and surfers and the like, are equally ripped - lean and tightly muscled, where the torso looks elongated and not squashed.

If you're worried about the weights element, you could purchase water weights you may strap on to your arms, your waist, your thighs and ankles or you can look into fitness clubs with resistance swimming (they strap you on to some kind of a pulley gadget, which pulls you back, as you swim forward).

To start to shed the weight I recommend - Freestyle.
    To tone and sculpt the male form beautifully, I would suggest you inculcate both the butterfly and the backstroke strokes.

If you're finding that you need to apply attention to your obliques, then you need to do land practice exercises of your breathing. Practice on land, before hitting the water. Three to 4 strokes. Be certain that at the 4th or 3rd stroke, before you breathe, that your body turns at a full 45 degrees to open that space for a breath - first on land - where the breath is taken beneath your arm. As your arm sinks back into the water, your breath should've been taken, then straighten up your form. Make sure that it's a peak (a right angle peak) at every stroke.

Edit: Remember to breathe on both sides, so you can sculpt both sides evenly. Some people tend to favour one side over the other. Also purchase silicone ear plugs - I prefer the squishable kinds for it molds right into your ear canal and blocks out all the water.
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    I love swimming. That's a great workout especially if you have joint problems, IMO...anything the gets your heart rate up is a Yes!