Diet Coke

Options

Replies

• courtleemens
    Options
    It really just makes me want sweets something terrible! other than that it was working for me before thanksgiving week where I had to attend 3 dinners lol
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Bottom line is that its not healthy for you. There is no redeeming quality about it. If you drink it in moderation though it should not hinder your weight loss. Personally, I quit drinking diet Pepsi (which I loved for years) and all other sodas on 8/1 and have never looked back.
    Please back your statements up with facts and not opinions.
    Read the study I posted above for starters then do a search on aspartame side effects.

You do realize there is 4 times the amount of aspartame in a 3 oz. chicken breast than there is in a single can of diet pepsi.... Would you quit eating the chicken breast knowing this??? Now there are individual out there that are sensitive to it but the vast majority would have to consume massive amounts of it to even begin to cause any serious health risks....

Actually,to my knowledge, there is phenylalanine in chicken breast, not aspartame. Phenylalanine is an amino acid, and one of the components of aspartame, but aspartame is not naturally occurring. Phenylalanine is the is the problem part for phenylketonurics, so that's why there's a warning label on things containing aspartame.

It probably won't keep you from losing weight, since there are no calories. If it gives you an adverse reaction of some sort, then of course that would be a reason to stop drinking it.
  • annieissocool
    Options
    Thanks for all your input. I think I am just going to have one a day and try to drink a TON of water. I might just go to caffeine pills though.. Really thats what I need is CAFFEINE!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Sodium in 1 can is all of 40 mg (I just looked at my coke zero). So that's not really an issue.

Too much could hamper not just weight loss, but overall healthy. However, one or two cans a day are probably okay. Maybe you can start replacing some with another drink. Crystal Light has some great "Energy" mixes (one to-go packet, or about 2 cups, has about the same caffeine as a can of Coke). The carbonation and other stuff in soda are really whats not good - far worse, IMO, than the little bit of protein-based artificial sweetener everyone villifies.
  • kukspuks
    Options
    Before my diet, I was all up on the Dr.Pepper. Now I switched to diet coke. Has 0 calories. I'm absolutely addicted to it now. Although people say it's bad for you, what's the difference? Both drinks are very unhealthy. Just one has 100 calories in 8 ounces, and one has 0 calories. I prefer 0 calories. :laugh:
  • kukspuks
    Options
    Thanks for all your input. I think I am just going to have one a day and try to drink a TON of water. I might just go to caffeine pills though.. Really thats what I need is CAFFEINE!

I would suggest plain black coffee. It boosts your metabolism so it's a plus. I drink a mug of black coffee each day. Don't mind the bitterness at all. >.<
  • WVmom24
    WVmom24 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I've stopped drinking soda and I think it does help my weight loss. Drinking more water helps keep excess sodium out of my body, where soda makes me retain at least 4-5lbs of water. I think it also keeps me less hydrated than water so although I have a drink, I feel that "fake" hunger that is really thirst, and tend to eat more. That's just me though.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options

Maybe you should research some herbal pills that give you energy because caffeine pills aren't healthy for you either. From the sounds of it you are more addicted to caffeine than to soda. I have been there! I use to be addicted to soda, but then I just weaned myself off the stuff. Best of luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • gnr123
    gnr123 Posts: 173
    Options
    I don't care if its terrible for me and gonna give me cancer one day. I'm a self admitted addict!!!! Can't live without my Diet Coke!

Totes!

I quit smoking and started diet coking :laugh:
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I never really liked Diet Coke, and I usually avoid it, except for on occasion when I'm at a restaurant, and don't feel like water.

There are caffeinated alternatives to Diet Coke, that are probably better for you. I believe green tea has caffeine, Coffee,(Which I never acquired a taste for.), or crystal lite-energy. There are many fat burners, and workout supplements that also contain caffeine. Just be careful.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I don't care if its terrible for me and gonna give me cancer one day. I'm a self admitted addict!!!! Can't live without my Diet Coke!
    That was hubby's attitude too no matter how many articles I showed him. He's paying the price now. It's no fun living with oxygen, having chemo two days a month, having trouble eating and going to numerous doc appointments.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    That was hubby's attitude too no matter how many articles I showed him. He's paying the price now. It's no fun living with oxygen, having chemo two days a month, having trouble eating and going to numerous doc appointments.
    I'm sorry to hear about your husband and best of luck to him but anything could have been the cause of his illness.
    Natural news is about as far from a scientific journal that you can get.
  • issyfit
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your husband and best of luck to him but anything could have been the cause of his illness.
    Thank you and I know there's no proof his diet coke consumption caused his lymphoma, but after researching possible causes it's the one that makes sense, He drank about 5-6 diet cokes a day for maybe 20 years--that can't be good. The research says as little as one can a day can cause it.
    ETA Natural News was only reporting the research that was done.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Thank you and I know there's no proof his diet coke consumption caused his lymphoma, but after researching possible causes it's the one that makes sense, He drank about 5-6 diet cokes a day for maybe 20 years--that can't be good. The research says as little as one can a day can cause it.

I would verify whether this is research or just random blog postings from alarmist sources. Can you please share this research? I've seen a fair amount and I don't recall anything credible that would indicate what you're claiming.

Far from it in fact. But I really would like to see what research you're talking about.

And I'm sorry about your husband. I wish you the best.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I too am sorry to hear about your husband's condition.

I did read the article - which is on a rather biased site.
    If we look at their sources for information listed, the one that is based on humans says:
    CONCLUSION:

Although our findings preserve the possibility of a detrimental effect of a constituent of diet soda, such as aspartame, on select cancers, the inconsistent sex effects and occurrence of an apparent cancer risk in individuals who consume regular soda do not permit the ruling out of chance as an explanation.

More-ever, there is no comment on correlation vs causation in the bits that I saw.
    For instance, is your typical diet soda drinker actually likely to have other health issues in the first place?

Also, this abstract (chosen carefully by me, easy to do that ;))
    We also observed an unexpected elevated risk of NHL (RR: 1.66; 95% CI: 1.10, 2.51) with a higher consumption of regular, sugar-sweetened soda in men but not in women. In contrast, when sexes were analyzed separately with limited power, neither regular nor diet soda increased risk of leukemia
  • wonderstruck91
    wonderstruck91 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's great for you ... but I am & always have been a soda addict. I have cut down a LOT (used to drink non-diet Mountain Dew 4-5 times a day! now I have a diet soda maybe once every two days) but I haven't been able to cut it out completely. Maybe one day. To answer your question though, I lost over 30 pounds drinking diet soda, and sometimes I use it as a dessert to quench a sweet tooth. I wouldn't have gallons of it of course, but a couple diet sodas here or there won't kill you!
  • issyfit
    Options

If we look at their sources for information listed, the one that is based on humans says:
    CONCLUSION:

Although our findings preserve the possibility of a detrimental effect of a constituent of diet soda, such as aspartame, on select cancers, the inconsistent sex effects and occurrence of an apparent cancer risk in individuals who consume regular soda do not permit the ruling out of chance as an explanation.

More-ever, there is no comment on correlation vs causation in the bits that I saw.
    For instance, is your typical diet soda drinker actually likely to have other health issues in the first place?

We also observed an unexpected elevated risk of NHL (RR: 1.66; 95% CI: 1.10, 2.51) with a higher consumption of regular, sugar-sweetened soda in men but not in women. In contrast, when sexes were analyzed separately with limited power, neither regular nor diet soda increased risk of leukemia

Dr. Mercola (I know a lot of people don't agree with him on some issues) explains the difference the study found between men and women as well as his response to the study:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/11/07/aspartame-causes-blood-cancer.aspx
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

CONCLUSION:

Dr. Mercola (I know a lot of people don't agree with him on some issues) explains the difference the study found between men and women as well as his response to the study:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/11/07/aspartame-causes-blood-cancer.aspx

I'm not posting this to attack you-- but honestly mercola is nuts.

http://www.quackwatch.com/11Ind/mercola.html
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Nothing is mentioned on correlation vs causation.

It brings up 'animal studies' as a big thing. It's well known that chocolate can easily kill dogs. That's not a good reason for us not to eat chocolate, or the many other things that can.

As for methanol etc, the science behind this seems considerably more concrete:
    http://whatdoesthesciencesay.wordpress.com/2010/06/13/aspartame-and-formaldehyde/
  • Allison22451
    Allison22451 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    a-gallon-of-diet-coke-straight-to-the-dome.jpg

::pumps angry fist:: DAMN YOOOU, DIET COKE!! Why you gots ta be so bad for me and so DEEEEEE-LICIOUS!?