Supplements?

Options
2»

Replies

• MusicInMyHeart
    Options
    my doctor told me there have been studies linking calcium with cancer and advised me against it.

What in Sam Hill? Your doctor sounds like a quack IMO.
  • UWZander
    Options
    my doctor told me there have been studies linking calcium with cancer and advised me against it. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/01/30/calcium-supplement-on-heart-attack.aspx there are plenty of articles but hell if you want to pay a fortune to put vitamins in your body go right ahead. I really don't care. haha fear mongering. Ignorance is bliss I guess. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2135140/Health-supplements-cause-cancer-Study-finds-products-increase-chance-getting-disease.html and http://www.cidpusa.org/calcium supplements.html I did my research

Didn't that doctor get verbally b****-slapped by the fda? Also, why do you believe anyone who thinks vaccines are hurting more than they are helping?
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    haha no my doctor is educated and well read (sounds like you are not) and you not allowing the idea that something like a vitamin pill could be harmful says way more about you than about my doctor. I am no sheep and don't follow because everyone else does it.
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't trust Dr. Oz as far as I could throw him.....

As one other person said, vitamins and minerals are best absorbed by food rather than pill form. Your best bet is to see your doctor for bloodwork and go from here.

I do take B-12 daily due to doctor recommendation bc of pernicious anemia. I also take fish oil (I do NOT eat seafood) when I remember -- I know, not great -- also on primary care physician recommendation due to a strong family history of cardiovascular disease as well as my mom's ophthalmologist suggested it to me (if it was okay with my doc) because of the family history of macular degeneration.
  • UWZander
    Options
    haha no my doctor is educated and well read (sounds like you are not) and you not allowing the idea that something like a vitamin pill could be harmful says way more about you than about my doctor. I am no sheep and don't follow because everyone else does it.

Yeah! Stick it to the scientists! Listen to the alternative medical doctors! Obviously others are uneducated because they don't believe in what you do... except you don't know how to use proper grammar. I am no sheep. Really? I wouldn't normally treat people like this, but I can't pass up an opportunity to bash on someone... like you.
  • Milette812
    Options
    At a minimum you should take:
    Multi-vitamin
    Fish oil (shoot for 1.2g/day DHA and 1.8g EPA, which will be somewhere between 3-10 capsules, depending on potency)
    Vitamin D+Calcium (2000IU vit. d., 1.2g calcium between sups and food)

Also consider:
    Magnesium (you should get 500mg/day between sups and food)

There are no magic supplements that make you lose fat (some caveats for those at very low body fat percentages), but those will put you at a reasonable baseline of health that will make it easier to get in shape.

If it were possible to just take a pill and burn fat, no one would be fat.

uh wrong answer. Get your blood tested to see what you need to eat in order to get your vitamins. Vitamin companies get rich off of people that think they need them to be healthy. Food absorbs better than a pressed vitamin pill and the only way to see what you are lacking is to get your blood tested at a doctors. Taking a multi vitamin and others, guessing in the dark is really stupid in my opinion and a huge waste of money. If you have vitamin deficiencies then your blood will tell the story. Don't guess. Too much calcium can cause cancer.

You are both right, and both wrong. It depends on the make-up of your body, your gender, your age, and your needs. A nutritionist and your doctor are the best ones to talk to, but most do support the taking of vitamins. Being a woman, it is often encouraged to me to take Calcium, Fish Oil, and a multi-vitamin by my doctors (I'm military, so I have several.) I am 30, so my calcium absorbing rate is also about to start the drop. Fact of life, age is a killer. When you cut calories, you also cut your vitamin intake. More food= More vitamins/minerals, Less food= Less vitamins/minerals. If you are not eating enough of the right stuff, you may need to supplement. It's all about balance. Also, everything causes cancer, even the sun, but if you don't get exposed to it then you miss out on some very important vitamins right there. Google Seasonal Affective Disorder, it will help highlight my point. It's all about balance and control.Also, beware fear based thinking. It leads to bad decisions.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

If any of those were legitimate medical articles I would take a further look. As young women it is important to ensure that our bone density is sufficient to sustain us as we age. Solely based on age (27) my doctor recommends taking calcium.

http://missclasses.com/mp3s/Prize CD 2010/Previous years/Wrist fractures/americancalcium.pdf

No need to insult us, saying we aren't well read.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    my doctor told me there have been studies linking calcium with cancer and advised me against it. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/01/30/calcium-supplement-on-heart-attack.aspx there are plenty of articles but hell if you want to pay a fortune to put vitamins in your body go right ahead. I really don't care. haha fear mongering. Ignorance is bliss I guess. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2135140/Health-supplements-cause-cancer-Study-finds-products-increase-chance-getting-disease.html and http://www.cidpusa.org/calcium supplements.html I did my research
    Wow, quoting a British tabloid... that's where I get all my science! Also, the article didn't even have anything to do with any of the supplements listed, it was regarding anti-oxidants.

There has been one VERY poorly controlled study that was not even initially intended to measure the role of calcium on heart health that has shown a statistically significant increase in rate of heart issues... funny thing, the 'calcium' group that has more heart problems also has a MUCH higher rate of smokers and obese individuals than the 'non-calcium' group (they weren't even experimental and control group, as the study was not designed to measure those things). But that's not something the researchers could be bothered to control for, because we know both of those things don't have ANY effect on heart health.

I suppose it's probably a waste of my time to try to educate the anti-vaccine crowd about science 101, but giving other people bad health advice because you are incapable of exercising fundamental reasoning skills is pretty low.

I recommend you reevaluate your attitude, as it is not helpful to anyone to spew misinformation and ignorance-inspired paranoia. Also, insulting other posters and implying they are ignorant when it is, in fact, you who are misinformed is just downright ugly.
  • kglar
    kglar Posts: 7
    Options
    Wow, thank you everyone for the replies! I will definitely need to talk to my doctor before taking anything, just to make sure it's something I need to take.