Gall Bladder Problems

Options
I had what I thought was a heart attack last Friday. Turned out to be a gallstone blocking my bile duct. After many tests and a follow up with my doctor they are recomending I have my gall bladder removed. Has anyone else had problems like this and NOT had it removed. I hate to undergo surgery when this is the first "attack" I have ever had!

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Yes, I put it off thinking it would get better. Wow was I wrong! I started having attacks that lasted 3 days and got to the point that I couldn't eat anything without pain. If they suggest getting it out then get it out. Best thing I've ever done!
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    Both my mother and a few college age athletes I work with have had their gall bladder removed - a few of the athletes waited to do it, and they were miserable the whole time. From my understanding, it is a relatively short and uncomplicated procedure. An easy recovery (avoid lifting heavy objects for a few weeks)...but all in all - if the gall bladder is the problem, definitely don't wait!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I thought that way too after my first attack....even after my second and third ++ attack. But by the time I was being rushed to the ER again after a 5th attack in so much pain that I past out in the middle of a grocery store I knew it was time to take care of my health! It's a diseased organ in your body, it's not going to get better. I had my surgery 2 years ago (the day before Thanksgiving) that way I had a 4 day weekend to recover. I was back to work the following Monday and back to walking on the treadmill the end of that week. The surgery is day surgery, it was a piece of cake. SO WORTH IT! If you delay it can become more serious and wind up being an emergency surgery. Also...believe me I've done my homework, there is no diet out there to eliminate gallstones, don't get sucked into that. If your doctor is advising you to get it removed...do it!!!

Best of luck to you:flowerforyou:
  • ruggedBear
    Options
    A common result of significant weight loss - I lost 70 lbs when I was 25 and had my first gall bladder attack on vacation (yup - backpacking in Utah, VERY far from any medical care - I don't recommend it)

Due to a heavy business travel schedule, I suffered from April until October that year when I finally had it out. Fatty foods (even good fats) caused tremendous pain - so I lived on rice and vegetables the entire time so I wouldn't be incapacitated during work.

In the end, the surgeon removed 4 gall stones and couldn't believe I had managed to live like that for so long (he even showed them off to his med students they were so big!). One week off from work was all it took. Toughest part of the recovery was waiting for the air in my belly to get re-absorbed (I had the laparoscopic procedure).

Get it done before it gets worse! Good luck!
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I had been told several years ago that I had gallstones and I should have my gallbladder removed. I had never had any symptoms, so I didn't think much of it.

That was until April 23 of this year. About midnight, I started to have this weird pain in my right upper abdomen. It went from being a weird pain to me thinking maybe if I could just throw up I'd feel better to me curled up in the fetal position on my bathroom floor in about 30 minutes. My husband took me to the ER where by that point I was describing my pain as an 8 out of 10. (I've been at what I would consider a 9 before where they gave me Valium with my morphine just so I would calm down but I was convinced I was on fire.)

The ER docs (once they made me take a pregnancy test) finally gave me pain drugs that knocked it down to a 3-4 if I was laying still, but if I had to sit up or stand up, or lay anywhere but on my left side, even with the drugs it was still 5-6. Eventually, I got an ultrasound where the tech said, "I'm not supposed to say anything, but I've never seen a gallbladder inflamed that much. I bet you'll have surgery tomorrow."

In fact, I had surgery that day. Someone from surgery was at my bedside within 20 minutes of me getting back from the ultrasound, and the surgeon himself was there 10 minutes after that. I was wheeled down to surgery within half an hour of him leaving.

And the pain stopped. The surgeon had to make a bigger incision than planned because my gallbladder was so inflamed and scarred. He was surprised I'd never had an actual attack before.

I was lucky in that I didn't have to go through that pain more than once.

I did have some complications with my healing, but none were too bad. (I'm allergic to dissolvable stitches, so my navel incision got infected and opened up. That was the worst.) I also lift heavy and was told not to do my normal workout for at least 5-6 weeks.

If you are having attacks, I would recommend getting the surgery done.
  • leiloob
    leiloob Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed after multiple attacks. Getting an accurate diagnosis was complicated by other digestive issues. Because I scheduled it and was not in crisis at the time of surgery, they were able to use orthoscopic surgery. The surgeon poked three little holes in me and used instruments and a video camera to do the surgery. They closed the wounds with what looked like small scale duct tape to me, and recovery was relatively easy with minimal scarring.

I was told that if I had to have surgery during a gallbladder attack, it would have to be conventional surgery, with a big scar and long recovery. My gallstone was about the size of a robin's egg. The gallstones, once formed, don't dissolve on their own.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I had what I thought was a heart attack last Friday. Turned out to be a gallstone blocking my bile duct. After many tests and a follow up with my doctor they are recomending I have my gall bladder removed. Has anyone else had problems like this and NOT had it removed. I hate to undergo surgery when this is the first "attack" I have ever had!

I just had this surgery a few weeks ago. I have a friend who had an attack four years ago and they recommended surgery and she never had it and has been fine.

However, I will say that since going through the testing and talking to doctors and researching and now fter the surgery, I'm pretty sure I was having gallbladder issues for YEARS and didn't realize it because I'd never had an "attack." I only had really one bad one and that was in June.

I thought I was lactose intolerant for the last few years, but now I can have all the things I couldn't have before with no problem at all.

The surgery really is not bad. I thought I would have a far more difficult recovery than I had. It's laproscopic and the tiny incisions are nearly invisible already, only three weeks later. The tests they did after revealed chronic inflamation and a cholesterol polyp.
  • jimbo480
    jimbo480 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've had several of these attacks. For me it seems that meals high in fat trigger them. After watching my fat intake at meals I have yet to have a severe attack. I'm sure at some point I will eventually have to have it removed but I'm biding my time with a healthy diet.
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have not had gallstones before, but a few years ago I did have some abdominal pain that was attributed to a bad gallbladder (there was also a possibility that the pain was due to an ulcer or something else, but my gallbladder ejection fraction was 7%, which is low). The pain went away with a change to my diet (perhaps causal), so my doctors said I could avoid (or at least postpone until it became necessary) the recommended gallbladder removal. A few months later I needed an unrelated abdominal surgery, so my doctors recommended going ahead and removing the gallbladder at that time, since gallbladders don't really improve much on their own. However, I didn't really want to lose my gallbladder unnecessarily, so prior to the surgery they did another HIDA scan and that time my ejection fraction was 53%, which is normal. I got to keep my gallbladder.

My medical problems are often caused by zebras, though.

Best of luck to you.
  • Rachelmilloy
    Rachelmilloy Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I had gall bladder problems 10 years ago. I finally went to a hospital's urgent care clinic after a night of not being able to sleep due to intensifying pain. I spent most of the day at the hospital where my pain lessened naturally as the hours passed. They gave me an ultrasound and diagnosed my gall bladder as the problem as a result. They said that the next time I had an attack, to go to a hospital emergency room for surgery. If possible, I wanted to avoid surgery. Since I knew my attacks were triggered by a high-fat diet, I became more careful in my eating. I wasn't extremely careful, just reasonably careful. In the past 10 years, I have had mild twinges, and promptly reduced my fat consumption. I credit that approach with saving me from further suffering. All the best to you!
  • imsleepdeprived
    imsleepdeprived Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I've been having attacks for the last 20ish years. I have ended up in the ER multiple times, but it was not diagnosed until 2010 a few days before my brothers wedding. They were ready to perform surgery right there and then. I turned them down and I have yet to decide if I want to go under the knife. I have about 1-2 attacks a year - but apparently I have a fairly high threshold of pain. My friend just had hers removed - for other reasons - and the surgery does not sound pleasant (not that any of them really are). It's a hard decision, b/c you can get complications from an inflamed gall bladder - and some can be very serious.

I have found that fattier food triggers my attacks - so I'm much more careful with my diet and it seems to be helping!

Good luck with making your decision.
  • Sunflowerinbloom
    Sunflowerinbloom Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Get it done its better to get it out of the way so u can keep going in weight loss! I had it done and its small incesions ur diet will change so it could help u with weigh loss in the process when I eat certain foods like Mexican it does make u have to go to the bathroom which is good I guess atleast after I eat tha certain foods it goes right back out lol but I know if u don't that horrible pain will come back and it's not fun
  • rml_16
    Options
    and the surgery does not sound pleasant (not that any of them really are).

It really isn't that bad. Seriously, I was exercising exactly one week after and I was completely healed within 10 days. I was able to get up and around a little the day I had it. The most difficult part was the anesthesia taking its time wearing off and then the Percocet made me dizzy.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

It really isn't that bad. Seriously, I was exercising exactly one week after and I was completely healed within 10 days. I was able to get up and around a little the day I had it. The most difficult part was the anesthesia taking its time wearing off and then the Percocet made me dizzy.

Agreed! I was back to work in five days and back on the treadmill in 7. But of course check with your doctor first. :flowerforyou:
  • rockermom5
    Options
    I'm right there with you. About a month ago I ended up in the ER after suffering what I thought at the time was a heart attack. I couldn't breathe and it felt like an iron band was tightening around my rib cage. My husband took me to the ER, and on the way, the pain started to go away. They did an EKG on me, then took blood, and then for an ultrasound. They said it was either an ulcer or my gallbladder. I was diagnosed with several gallstones and recommended that I follow up with a surgeon and have it removed. Since the major attack, I've not felt "right"...many ups and downs depending on the day. My surgery is scheduled for November 30th. Everything I've been told and read says that this is the best thing to do, because the attacks will just get worse, and can lead to worse issues. Good luck!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

Agreed! I was back to work in five days and back on the treadmill in 7. But of course check with your doctor first. :flowerforyou:

^^^^^ I agree with all the above! The surgery was day surgery, recovery time quick. I was working out again the following week. If you delay and it becomes emergency surgery...you may not be that lucky!
  • leiloob
    Options
    I am keeping my appointment to meet with the surgeon...also going to try some natural treatments until then. Thanks so much for the info!
  • rml_16
    Options
    I am keeping my appointment to meet with the surgeon...also going to try some natural treatments until then. Thanks so much for the info!
    Good luck! The best thing to do is talk it over with the docs and do some research.
  • leiloob
    Options
    I meet with the surgeon on December 13th...hopefully I will be a candidate for actigall so I don't have to have surgey!!!