What kind of bread do you buy?

Options
I've tried buying bread from the deli but it goes bad too quickly, and I really don't care for freezing it. I've looked at labels at the store and still have a hard time deciding which bread is best. It'd be nice to find a loaf that doesn't have so many calories but has good nutrients. Any suggestions?

Replies

• bgtorres
    bgtorres Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I buy any brand as long it's multi grain or wheat with low calories
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I usually go with the store brand (cheapest) that has whole grain and a decent fiber content.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Unless you eat a lot of it, learn to freeze it. Since my son left for college, I eat about a loaf a month. No other way to keep it fresh that long.

I buy 2 different ones--Whole Foods Flax Oat Bread and Big Sky Bread Company Honey Whole Wheat. I prefer the Big Sky, but I don't think it's as good for me as the Flax Oat. I have both in my freezer right now. Doesn't take long to thaw them or toast them, and I actually think bread tastes a little better when it's not quite thawed, but maybe that's just because I've been freezing it so long.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    My partner and I like different kinds of bread...and finally found one we can agree on. We buy Alpine Valley multigrain. Tasty, lower in calories but with a good "heft" to it. Everyone happy.
  • cstexas2012
    cstexas2012 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I buy Sara Lee 100% whole wheat Soft and Smooth because it tastes more like white bread to me, which I prefer. Oh, and I always freeze it. I think it still tastes okay.
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    i can't stand the bread from the bread aisle. I either get Ezekiel bread or bakery loafs if I'm not worried about nutrition.
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I'm happy with Ezekiel Bran for Life when I NEED bread...but I use sparingly.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Freeze it, locks in the freshness! Due to my sister being a picky eater finding a good bread everyone agrees upon we go for Sunshine Whole Wheat. Nutritious and low cal, great when toasted!
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Or make your own. Best ever :)

I like Brownberry whole wheat (Catherine Clarkes original recipe) or make my own when I have time.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Lately, I've been using Julian's Bakery Smart Carb bread. Super expensive. I freeze it and only take out 3 slices at a time. Then it goes in fridge. I'm the only one who eats it, so it goes a long way.

I eat it toasted with a schmear of almond butter.

16 grams of protein per slice, even before the almond butter. :)
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Sara lee 45 cal whole wheat bread. I buy a loaf about every two weeks. I do throw out alot though....
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I buy Country Hearth. The 12 Grain is 90 calories a slice and my favorite, the Honey Nut and Oat, is 100. I don't mind the calories though. I just burn them off :) I can eat up to a loaf a week. I eat sandwiches for lunch a lot, snack on a slice with some peanut butter or have a slice toasted with an egg for breakfast. I would never live without my bread!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    When we need bread, we get Sobey's weight maintenance from the bakery because it's the lowest cals and sodium combo (90/115) per 2 slices. The other sandwich product is Paco tortillas, again lowest in sodium we can find.
  • jessicalynn75
    jessicalynn75 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel bread...very healthy, but it is 80 calories a slice. I usually limit it to 1 slice at breakfast.
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Dave's Killer Bread, the Powerseed loaf.

I keep mine in the freezer since I only eat bread once toasted.
    Once toasted I can't tell it was ever frozen.
  • Torgrills
    Torgrills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Or make your own. Best ever :)

Agreed! I try to avoid bread (because I'm hopelessly addicted to massive amounts of carbs) but I got so sick of shelling out big bucks for high quality bread that I started baking my own. I can control what I put into the dough and I don't have to worry about preservatives. At first it was a pain in the butt, but once I got the hang of working with the dough it became pretty easy. I now bake 2 loaves of wheat bread with flax seed for my daughters every Sunday and wrap one of them tightly to freeze, which I thaw in the fridge when the second loaf is needed to keep the moisture down during thawing. I also use the heels to toast and toss in the food processor for homemade bread crumbs, which I also freeze for casseroles. It's so much cheaper and only takes up about 2 intermittent hours of my time.
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Nature's Own 100% Whole Wheat Bread. 50cals a slice and 0g of sugar.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    oroweat oatnut is pretty good and it lasts a long time for me
  • shrinkingislander
    shrinkingislander Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Silver Hills 16 Grain (available in Canada)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Something freshly baked and that is not whole grain