Eggs - interesting....

Options
http://examine.com/faq/will-eating-eggs-increase-my-cholesterol.html
Let me know what you think? Do the conclusions match your experience?

Replies

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    Can't open the link (looks like too many hits to their site atm), but I do know that through my research of current peer reviewed studies provided by those more intelligent then I am on these boards and my own experiences that dietary cholesterol has little to no impact on blood cholesterol numbers.
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    i heard it was a Myth that Eggs dont raise cholestrol
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I eat a ton of eggs and have no cholesterol issues. Eggs rock!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i used to make a dozen hard boiled eggs on the weekend, and eat them over the week. great quick snack, or chopped up into a salad.

i need to start doing it again.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I eat at minimum a dozen eggs a week. My cholesterol is just fine.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    my cholesterol was higher as a vegan than it is now eating eggs and meats
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I get enough fat and cholesterol in other things, I don't need it in eggs, so I take it out. I eat A LOT of egg whites. At least 24 or more per week. But, I don't think that answers your question. In other words, regardless of the research, yolks have fat in them. So, I avoid them. I don't pay attention to good fat bad fat BS. I try to eat little to no fat. Even as hard as I try, I still have a lot of it stuck to me.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I get enough fat and cholesterol in other things, I don't need it in eggs, so I take it out. I eat A LOT of egg whites. At least 24 or more per week. But, I don't think that answers your question. In other words, regardless of the research, yolks have fat in them. So, I avoid them. I don't pay attention to good fat bad fat BS. I try to eat little to no fat. Even as hard as I try, I still have a lot of it stuck to me.

Fat doesn't make you fat.
  • Jamie_Lauren
    Jamie_Lauren Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    regardless of the research, yolks have fat in them. So, I avoid them. I don't pay attention to good fat bad fat BS. I try to eat little to no fat.

:noway:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

you need fat in your diet. the good fat, like from avocados and meaty fish, can actually help you get rid of the bad fat.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I read the article while eating a shrimp cocktail and munching on a braunschweiger sandwich...Well - not really...but those are both super high cholesterol foods.

So...Like everything else the key word is moderation.
  • Keto_Keith
    Options
    HDL and LDL are not even the same thing as cholesterol. LDL is a protein that transports cholesterol and make it water soluble. Your liver produces cholesterol, not to give you a heart-attack, but to produce hormones like progesterone, testosterone, estrogen and for cell wall production. HDL does not transport cholesterol out of tissue, it returns it to your liver for recycling, not to save you from having you a heart-attack, but because cholesterol is crucial for your body. There are different sizes of LDL particles which are controlled through diet. Cholesterol drugs do not regulate the size of LDL particles, diet does. Really small LDL particles can get clogged in gap junctions of cells and can oxidize.

Glucose is actually one of the most harmful molecules to your body. It glycates and forms Advanced Glycated End Products (AGEs), which your body combats with microphages containing receptors to eat up the AGEs called RAGEs, these cause inflammation which leads to scar tissue, which in your arteries is called "plaque." Hence heart disease. So, eggs... not anywhere near as bad as sugar, imo... oh, and science.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I eat a ton of eggs and have no cholesterol issues. Eggs rock!

Same here! I agree, eggs rock! :)
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    HDL and LDL are not even the same thing as cholesterol. LDL is a protein that transports cholesterol and make it water soluble. Your liver produces cholesterol, not to give you a heart-attack, but to produce hormones like progesterone, testosterone, estrogen and for cell wall production. HDL does not transport cholesterol out of tissue, it returns it to your liver for recycling, not to save you from having you a heart-attack, but because cholesterol is crucial for your body. There are different sizes of LDL particles which are controlled through diet. Cholesterol drugs do not regulate the size of LDL particles, diet does. Really small LDL particles can get clogged in gap junctions of cells and can oxidize.

Glucose is actually one of the most harmful molecules to your body. It glycates and forms Advanced Glycated End Products (AGEs), which your body combats with microphages containing receptors to eat up the AGEs called RAGEs, these cause inflammation which leads to scar tissue, which in your arteries is called "plaque." Hence heart disease. So, eggs... not anywhere near as bad as sugar, imo... oh, and science.

...so, I'm going to have a heart attack in 2 seconds?

Hahaha! Just joking. This is exactly what my research has shown.
  • cjspawn120
    Options
    I am a senior dietetcs/nutrition major. The truth was a Harvard study was done years ago. It took a group of men and had them eat 6 eggs a day to see if the cholesterol elevated. The results? Mixed. It depends if one is cholesterol sensitive. Not many are, but if one's cholesterol would raise after a long period of consuming eggs then they may be. It's the same for sodium- it will raise blood pressure significantly in those who are "salt sensitive". This was learned in my Medical Nutrition Therapy course I took last year. To be on the same side I eat one boiled egg a day, to be within the recommnded limit I've often read which is 6 a week. Hope this helps!