What do you eat when you are sick?

Options
I'm so sick (wicked cold killing my sinuses and giving me a horrible burning chest and cough) with hardly any appetite. I eat soup, oranges, bananas, and honey toast. Today I was able to eat a salad but it hurt. :(
Please give me some ideas, what do you eat when your throat is really sore and you just feel like dying and don't want to eat? Not eating enough is making me weaker and probably making the stupid cold last longer.

Replies

• cstexas2012
    cstexas2012 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    fried rice and/or plain eggo waffles cooked in the microwave (which makes them soft). i'm a really healthy sick person, haha...
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Eat/drink soups broth, zinc and/or vit C tabs should also help but keep up the oranges and any citrus fruits. Make sure you're getting adequate amounts of your vitamins since it will help your immune system kick the cold. Try to eat enough but only eat when you're hungry and unfortunately, deal with the discomfort (chest congestion, etc) will get better in a few days
  • TrashyAbercrombie
    TrashyAbercrombie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have lots of hot tea, and something soft like mashed potatoes
  • erikaaaaaaaa
    erikaaaaaaaa Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Not really one to get sick (knock on wood!), but when I would get sick when I was younger my dad would always make me cheese grits. It sounds odd, but it's easy to eat if you have a sore throat and a bit more filling than broth-y soups.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I buy a bag of lemons and make lemon water: 1 lemon per liter, over lots of ice. I know it is probably silly but lemon water allegedly detoxofies your body so I feel like I'm flushing it out- and I figure the extra vitamin C can't hurt either. I also drink peppeemint tea because it helps with congestion. And chamomile tea at night to help me sleep. For food I might make green smoothies- but I stay away from solids til the worst of the sore throat is over, usually a day.
  • igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I am sick right now and love chicken noodle soup.. With ginger grated into it and lots of garlic. The ginger really helps clear out the sinuses.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I love spicy stuff anyway but with a head cold spicy stuff seems to break it up and help me breathe better. Anything hot and spicy-jalapeno, red pepper, or wasabi based stuff will clear you out.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    hot soup and crackers.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I know I am sick when Gotorade doesn't disgust me. Try Gotorade.
  • loveisthmovement16
    Options
    Gatorade, tea, light soups, if your throat is sore maybe like, popsicles or something.

If I'm really really sick all I'll ingest is water. That plus plenty of sleep is what helps me get better the most.
  • Devin182
    Devin182 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I rarely get real sick... Just allergies most of the time. But when I do --- chicken n stars soup, lots of tea, maybe eggs scrambled, maybe ok or apple juice but the acid in oj sometimes hurts when sick. Most of the time I just take some meds OTC or prescription n just try to sleep it off.I have no appetite when I'm sick.
  • trisharanschau
    Options
    Easywider keep to the topic. Inapropriate comment.
  • annams76
    annams76 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I will venture out and say tonight try hot tea, a shot of whiskey , honey and lemon right before you lay down and hopefully it will knock out your sickness and you can eat tomorrow. =) Hope you feel better.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Sick yesterday and today waiting on doctor office to open tomorrow.

Breakfast was coffee

Lunch was turkey salad with apple, walnuts, and golden raisins.

Supper I had 7 layer salad with a Jif natural peanut butter fold over and sugar free gelatin.

Just depends on whats in the house and what is easiest to fix. Those cheese grits sound yummy going to have to try them next time.
  • fatsheet
    fatsheet Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Congee always does the job for me...

bung 1C of rice and fill up your pot with water and let them work its magic. Wait until the grains burst and keep stirring til you get a white, fluffy consistency. Its light and 'clean' enough to not cause any damage, and will replenish any water you've lost.

its what all Chinese people eat when they're sick = )
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    chicken soup, ginger ale, crackers, toast
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    umm crackers? toast?
  • Vtron9
    Vtron9 Posts: 18
    Options
    When I'm sick I always just feel like cold, juicy things for some reason. So i generally will eat a lot of fresh fruit like apples, mangoes, melons, oranges etc. They're so high in water content and vitamins so it helps your body heal too. Also, frozen cherries work wonders for a sore throat.
  • pickledginger
    Options
    Chicken soup with extra garlic.
    microwaved sweet potato - very soothing
    hot OJ with fresh ginger
    hot tea with lemon and cloves (clove oil is soothing)
    Soup, mostly
  • codylee98
    codylee98 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Carraba's Sicilian Chicken soup..I have the recipe now so I make a batch and freeze it. It is a bit spicy which helps the sinuses.