Kettlebell

Options
Ok, attempt #2 at posting this after I realized I posted on the wrong board (food and nutrition)

After stuffing my face with so much food on Thursday, and still being able to fit into smaller size jeans on Friday, I rewarded my self with a 15lb kettlebell. I always wanted one and finally got one - Tone Fitness brand. I was learning proper form today and the bell feels strange in my hands. I've never worked with one, so I feel awkward and it doesn't help that I have small hands, so holding anything larger than two grapefruits combined is strange. How long did it take you to adjust to it? Do gloves help with a better grip? Also any tips and advice is welcomed, as well as workout recs.

Replies

• sahm23ladies
    sahm23ladies Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I love my kettle bells. Once you get used to it you'll wonder what you did without it before! I have to wear gloves (not too thick) in order to prevent blisters and that slippery feeling once you start sweating. My hands are kinda small and I've found when doing the two handed swing I tend to let my pinkies kinda float on top of the handle, it just gives me a sense of balance. If you look up Tim Ferriss on youtube, he's got a lot of kettle bell exercises to work your entire body. You may need to bump up your weight for the two handed swing. I bet you are stronger than you think! Just keep trying different grips. You'll figure out what works for you best.

Good luck!

Happy Swinging!!
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    If you have a problem with grip, it may be lack of strength or too much weight. I would suggest that you wear gloves because the kettle movements can really make your hands calloused. I would also suggest looking at videos on youtube for kettlebell exercises.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    When I started I needed to put padded bands around my wrists to minimize bruises, but I don't like the idea of gloves - it seems it would be harder for it to swing to different positions.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Similar question here - I bought a 16K KB and found it to be too heavy - something to work towards! I'm a KB newbie - still trying to know the beast.

I then bought a 12K KB and can double hand swing, but when I switch to single hand grip I find I can't swing it up to eye level - is this because the KB is still too heavy or is it more to do with a lack of core strength do you think? I don't feel my grip going or arms aching; just a whole body feeling of not being able to swing the weight up. Reluctant to go to a lighter KB!
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    You should be using your core and leg muscles to "push" it up - not using your arms to swing it. Wrong style can pull your back muscles - not a good idea.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Ok, attempt #2 at posting this after I realized I posted on the wrong board (food and nutrition)

After stuffing my face with so much food on Thursday, and still being able to fit into smaller size jeans on Friday, I rewarded my self with a 15lb kettlebell. I always wanted one and finally got one - Tone Fitness brand. I was learning proper form today and the bell feels strange in my hands. I've never worked with one, so I feel awkward and it doesn't help that I have small hands, so holding anything larger than two grapefruits combined is strange. How long did it take you to adjust to it? Do gloves help with a better grip? Also any tips and advice is welcomed, as well as workout recs.

Research correct technique. Most are doing it wrong (none more than Gillian michaels).
    Check YouTube for rkc instructors demos. Some others do it correctly too, but I've yet to see an rkc do it wrong.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Similar question here - I bought a 16K KB and found it to be too heavy - something to work towards! I'm a KB newbie - still trying to know the beast.

I then bought a 12K KB and can double hand swing, but when I switch to single hand grip I find I can't swing it up to eye level - is this because the KB is still too heavy or is it more to do with a lack of core strength do you think? I don't feel my grip going or arms aching; just a whole body feeling of not being able to swing the weight up. Reluctant to go to a lighter KB!

You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to be using your whole posterior chain to swing it. There's no way the average fit male cannot swing 16kg for reps.

Research towel swing, and try not to hijack threads.
  • BOLO4Hagatha
    BOLO4Hagatha Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the input. I think the weight is just right, but gloves are on my list right now. Callouses are not fun!

@C4RL05 I think your form might not be proper. Make sure its coming from your hips and core. Your arms are just a follow through of the body movement. Or you could also be overtraining. Good Luck!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i agree with those that say it's all about technique. kettlebells are very unique, but effective form of exercise. it's much more about finesse then trying to muscle up the kettlebell.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    one of my favorite KB work is called "300 kettlebell melt down." you tube it. it's awesome. no need to try and do it with a 24kg weight and in 11 minutes like the guy in the video did.

the first time i did it i had to use three different sized kettlebells, and i did it in about 50 minutes. the last time i did it, i did it in 38 minutes, using the same weight (24kilos) the entire time.

link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRpbM9nzDcM
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the input. I think the weight is just right, but gloves are on my list right now. Callouses are not fun!

@C4RL05 I think your form might not be proper. Make sure its coming from your hips and core. Your arms are just a follow through of the body movement. Or you could also be overtraining. Good Luck!

Thank you BOLO4Hagatha. I think you are right; more research needed as suggested. Sorry if I hi-jacked your thread; not intended.
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    The cast iron kettlebells are easier to grip as when your hands get sweaty they don't get as slippy as the plastic ones.

It's good if you feel comfortable with the size you have - form is really important and it's much better to get that right and build up to bigger weights than it is to start with a heavier weight - they do take a bit of getting used to but absolutely worth the effort they are such a great workout - how can you lose combining cardio with resistance :)

I usually go to kettlebell classes, but if I can't make it I do the kettlebell workouts on Fitness Blender - there are routines there for all levels and the beginner one is a good introduction. You can google their site or just look them up on youtube :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

false. callouses are necessary. they are a badge of honor. forget the gloves.
  • BOLO4Hagatha
    BOLO4Hagatha Posts: 94 Member
    Options

Thank you BOLO4Hagatha. I think you are right; more research needed as suggested. Sorry if I hi-jacked your thread; not intended.

No problem! I'm sure others have same concerns/questions as us.
  • PATCH1803
    Options
    I use a 45lb kettlebell, and I wear workout gloves. My hands sweat, and I have lost my grip when doing kettlebell swings. I don't need them when I do sumo lifts, and snatch and clings