Could this be PCOS? Seriously struggling :/

Options
In the last year I've gained a lot of weight, for seemingly little to no reason. It started last Thanksgiving when I got off of BCP (not sure if there's any correlation), and gaining even more quickly in the last 5 months or so. I work out 6-7 days a week, usually running 6-8 miles in the morning, and lifting in the afternoon. I don't eat wheat, dairy, red meat or sugar (never really have, though used to eat yogurt and cut that out too). I eat a lot of lean protein (chicken, fish, egg whites, protein powder) fruit, vegetables, and drink a ton of water. My weight hasn't budged and it's seriously starting to get to me. I couldn't be working out harder, or eating any healthier, IMO, and have gained almost 25 lbs since last December.

I was telling my roommate about this and she asked what my cycle was like-- it's been irregular for the last year and a half (either nonexistent, or ever 45 days, sometimes 3 days long, sometimes 9). And when I do get them, they are much much heavier than they have ever been in the past. She said one of her friends from college dealt with the same issues and was diagnosed with PCOS, and thought that I might talk to my doctor about getting tested.

I feel like this has to be hormonal because I honestly cannot figure out what it would be otherwise. I've already had my thyroid check and nothing seemed to turn up form that. I'm working my *kitten* off to no result and it's driving me insane, and I'm sure stressing out about it is only making things worse.

Does anyone else know anything about this? It's going to be at least another 2 weeks before I can get an appt. with my doctor, so I figured I'd ask here. I'm so sick of looking for an "answer" as to what's going on, it feels like I'm constantly looking for an excuse as to why I've gained weight. But I also know I eat so healthy and work out all the time and nothing has changed, so there has got to be something else going on. Sorry to ***** and ramble on...just so frustrated...

Replies

• tearsinger
    tearsinger Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It really does sound like it.

BCP help keep your hormones regular and if you have PCOS the doc will likely put you back on them. It is a set of blood tests that they normal do to figure it out -- they check your testosterone and insulin levels for PCOS and insulin resistance. They may schedule you for an ultrasound to look for cysts if the blood tests are inconclusive. They usually prescribe Metformin, and BCP, and recommend losing weight on a low carb diet (<50 grams daily)
  • becnaffine
    Options
    The irregular periods and weight gain are a sign of PCOS but to be 100% sure you need to speak to your doctor. I have/had polycystic ovaries, more hair than normal and bad acne. My doc ignored it for years but as soon as I started to try and get pregnant it was discovered.
    Metformin worked wonders for me. It helped regulate my cycles and blood sugar levels.
    It is manageable and with a good diet and maybe something like metformin you can get if under control (if that's what the problem is).
    Good luck.