What do you eat when you are sick?

Options
2»

Replies

• hallc121
    hallc121 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sugar Free Jello, Hot Tea, and broth, cream of wheat, toast. In the middle of a cold bug now. Good Luck
  • evolutioner
    Options
    Boil up some ginger and make some ginger tea and curry.
  • schell81
    schell81 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I eat the worst when I'm sick. Grilled cheese sandwiches or Kraft dinner. Chinese food, fast food. I always want high sodium crap.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I crave soups when my throat feels like that. if you make your own, they can be super healthy, with lots of great nutrients. I like to cook veggies in chicken broth, then puree the whole thing in the food processor to make it feel like a cream soup without actual cream. If you add lentils they will add some protein, and they will puree well with the veggies.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Everything in sight.
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Grasses Chicken soup.. I kid you not, that's the only time that stuff appeals to me is when I'm down with a bad bad cold.

ETA: I also drink a lot of Emergen-C to replace electrolytes and potassium and such in my system along with a major boost of Vit-C
  • Amberchalon
    Amberchalon Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Beef Pho!
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    chicken soup hot tea
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I've had Mono for weeks. My appetite is more then fine now but I lost 10 pounds in just over a week because my throat was so swollen and sore I couldn't eat anything. It actually got so bad I ended up in the hospital hooked up to an IV because I couldn't even get fluids in. For a week afterwards even with narcotics all I could manage was soft foods. I drank a lot of my calories, sweetened almond milk (Bc it has more cals), smoothies (anything with honey is great for your throat), juice, milkshakes, ensure, yougurt, pudding, soup, bread, mashed potatos, soft serve ice cream... I pretty much ate what my body was craving and could handle. Even now weeks later if I don't keep my calorie intake high enough I get exhausted, run down and can't keep my eyes open. It's important to fuel your body when sick

For the record I gained all the weight back quickly, lol before anyone gets any idea about going to lick some mono infested person for weight loss purposes LOL! I didn't even log it on MFP since I knew it wouldn't last haha but it was fun to see 104 pounds on the scale
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I was really sick a few weeks back and I drank a lot of juice and ate ice cream. I managed to stay within my calorie limit each day because that was basically all I ate for about 3 days. I just ate a 1/2 cup of ice cream at a time and 8 ounces of v-8 juice at a time.

My throat was really sore so I couldn't eat anything hot, it just irritated it more.

Hope you feel better soon!
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    When I'm sick, all bets are off; I eat whatever doesn't make me feel ill. Sometimes it's saltines, sometimes soup, sometimes normal food. I try to drink lots of tea and water, though. The one time I was really, really sick after starting this, I just ate whatever. I didn't worry about being at goal, I just wanted to get food in my body to get it healthy again.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I make ginger tea. Cut up a big knob of ginger (no need to peel it), add a sliced lemon and a sliced orange. Put in a pot of water and simmer for half an hour. You can add a little mapel syrup if you need it, it's very spicy and peppery.

I never worry about eating if I don't feel like it because I'm sick. I figure a few days isn't going to kill me.
  • chelseabuns88
    chelseabuns88 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Yep.. when I'm sick I just want to eat EVERYTHING (well, all the unhealthy everythings, anyway) and feel constantly hungry..
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    When I have a cold..It's Airborne, Emergen-C, Hot tea, especially Lemon Ginger with extra lemon and real local honey, and I add some kind of alcohol at night(hot toddy). Hot brothy soups, V8 heated like soup(it's good!) oatmeal, oranges, I have so little appetite that I track just to be sure I get close to 1000 cals, but since I won't workout until I can breathe without struggling, I need less. ( I have mild asthma and a cold is guaranteed to cause an attack if I work out too soon) My first workout is always a walk to check my breathing, then whatever I feel able to handle.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    eat whatever you have to to reach your daily goals maybe even exceed them. your body need all of it to fight off the sickness and will burn it off!! its a license to eat
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    chicken soup is found to have some chemical which helps you get better quicker....uh i googled when i was ill lol x
  • fitnotfluffy
    fitnotfluffy Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    hot tea and miso soup or egg drop. not really a chicken noodle fan. d:
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. My throat is a bit better today so i managed to eat a tuna sandwich. I didn't even realize I have a good reason to be eating ice cream right now. I will have to get on that. :)