Insanity.

Options
I purchased these dvds before I read the reviews online and everyone is saying its not for someone who is heavily overweight. I currently weigh 294lbs and just wondered if anyone on here has done it at this size or maybe you are starting to do it we could support each other? Am I crazy for doing it this overweight?

I would still like to give it a try and I am going to start it on Monday. I have taken my weight and measurements today going by the planner that is in the box and I have to retake my measurements again after 60 days. I have also taken a before picture.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    be ready to sweat a lot down on your knees begging for mercy. I dont know your fitness level but insanity is not for beginners
  • annams76
    annams76 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    The first time I did it I weighed 204lbs and it was good but all the jumps killed my kness being so heavy. Just be careful with the jumps. Also, you have to do measurements every fit test, which is about every 2 weeks. I did before pictures and I will take pics every fit test I do, just so I can see my progress. It is a very tough workout so make sure you are ready for it. Good luck!!!
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    be ready to sweat a lot down on your knees begging for mercy. I dont know your fitness level but insanity is not for beginners

Thanks for your response. I am currently doing 100 squats now, 60 bridges and I do allot of cario and currently lifting 20kg in weights. I would consider myself quite strong (used to be a farm girl lol). The responses online said the same, its definitely not for beginners. But surely you have to start somewhere. If I feel dead after one day at least I can say I tried lol
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Options
    The first time I did it I weighed 204lbs and it was good but all the jumps killed my kness being so heavy. Just be careful with the jumps. Also, you have to do measurements every fit test, which is about every 2 weeks. I did before pictures and I will take pics every fit test I do, just so I can see my progress. It is a very tough workout so make sure you are ready for it. Good luck!!!

Thanks for letting me know about the fit tests, didn't realize you had to take measurements every two weeks although it makes a hell of allot of sense. Will keep note of it and thanks for sending luck, it looks like I will need it lol
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Its something you want to do then do it! Don't get down on yourself for not keeping up, you won't. Modify what you need to and keep moving.
    You were given a coach when you bought the program, keep up with that person for help. Or joining a group right on the beachbody site.

Good Luck
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    one last thing... just dont quit; you probably wont be able to do everything in the beginning but if you keep working you will get stronger and fitter and the reward at the end is great.
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    You can modify any workout to your fitness level. Just listen to your body, and build up to doing the whole thing.
    If something feels too hard, just march in place until they move on to the next exercise.
    Stop if you start feeling dizzy.
  • notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Just do what you can. If you can't do an entire video, do it till you can't do it anymore. Eventually, you will be able to complete an entire video. I myself was doing P90x videos. I can do them for about 30 minutes in. I don't care that I don't complete a video. I'm pretty darn heavy myself. (298 lbs 5'11" 33 year old male)
  • annams76
    annams76 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You can modify any workout to your fitness level. Just listen to your body, and build up to doing the whole thing.
    If something feels too hard, just march in place until they move on to the next exercise.

This is something I do. I have bad knees so I modify the things I cannot do but I still push through and do as much as I can. I am still sweating buckets and my heart rate is raised. YOU CAN DO IT!!!
  • etynda6116
    Options
    It's not for beginers but like others have said do what you can through each episode and then eventually you will get stronger and be able to do more. Thats what I have done. In the end you will hvae amazing results if you keep up with it. Good Luck! Sounds like you'll need it, I know I did!
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Options
    Its something you want to do then do it! Don't get down on yourself for not keeping up, you won't. Modify what you need to and keep moving.
    You were given a coach when you bought the program, keep up with that person for help. Or joining a group right on the beachbody site.

Good Luck

I had to pay extra for a coach, it wasn't much and I am assuming that they will help me in the long run. Thanks
  • s89s
    s89s Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    So everything I've seen says that Insanity is not for beginners and that it is for people with a high baseline of fitness.

I however am on my second attempt at Insanity (I had to stop after 2 weeks and restart) and while it is extremely exerting, I am able to get through the workouts. Some days I can keep up with the videos and take only the 30 second breaks and other days I need to take a few more here and there. That said, Shawn T always emphasises that you should stop and take a break when necessary so, I don't think you should be concerned it you are unable to keep up with the professionals initially.

It's highly commendable that you have decided to take on this challenge irrespective of your weight. Good luck and remember to 'dig deeper' :)
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Options
    one last thing... just dont quit; you probably wont be able to do everything in the beginning but if you keep working you will get stronger and fitter and the reward at the end is great.

Ah thanks that is my worst fear that I just won't give it my all and quit over the 1st hurdle. I have a mate that will be doing it with me so I know she will push me even if there are days when I don't feel like doing it. Thanks again
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Options

Thanks will definitely take that on board and like you said I can add other things if I am not able to do some of the moves. Cheers x
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Options
    Just do what you can. If you can't do an entire video, do it till you can't do it anymore. Eventually, you will be able to complete an entire video. I myself was doing P90x videos. I can do them for about 30 minutes in. I don't care that I don't complete a video. I'm pretty darn heavy myself. (298 lbs 5'11" 33 year old male)

Nice to hear from someone who is in the same weight, will definitely take all the comments on board
  • uk_ja
    uk_ja Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I purchased these dvds before I read the reviews online and everyone is saying its not for someone who is heavily overweight. I currently weigh 294lbs and just wondered if anyone on here has done it at this size or maybe you are starting to do it we could support each other? Am I crazy for doing it this overweight?

I would still like to give it a try and I am going to start it on Monday. I have taken my weight and measurements today going by the planner that is in the box and I have to retake my measurements again after 60 days. I have also taken a before picture.

Modify, modify, modify

Can't do power jumps, just do regular jumps off the floor, as you get stronger and more conditioned you can do more. Also go slow, SLOW GREAT FORM = Less injuries you do not have to work out at the speed of the people on the dvd's. just do the movement at your pace for the time and build on it.
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Options

Modify, modify, modify

Can't do power jumps, just do regular jumps off the floor, as you get stronger and more conditioned you can do more. Also go slow, SLOW GREAT FORM = Less injuries you do not have to work out at the speed of the people on the dvd's. just do the movement at your pace for the time and build on it.

Thanks will do x
  • sweetlyawesome
    sweetlyawesome Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I want to start insanity on Monday also. Please add me as a friend. I need a partner! I have done the first month of insanity before but it was a few months ago. I'm ready to get back on this bandwagon! I had to modify quite a bit and am sure I will have to again this round. I was at 200ish I think the first time around but I got through it. You can too! :)
  • rede2go
    rede2go Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am starting week 8 of insanity and would love to support anyone who is giving it a shot. If you are a beginner do it at your pace. take breaks and keep it low impact. make the program work for you. Personally I couldnt do the stuff at there pace and I am 156 lbs., I couldnt do all the push ups, but I can do more now then when I started.....THATS THE POINT. So you go slower then them and you dont do all the exercises. If the exercises are 30 seconds long or a min... try 15 seconds or 30 seconds....take as many breaks and you need, breathe and just let finishing be your goal. It will get easier. I dont have the greatest knees...lol I had a motorcycle accident so I dont like jumping around all the time and it can be hard on you so dont just. I would encourage you to try and be kind to yourself. I still cant finish the push ups, but I can do guy push ups now. not as many but I can do them and I am proud of that. Small victories. Do half the dvd to start if you have to. you decide what works for you. I wish you all the best of luck. Feel free to add me let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Heather
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wXXs3IcfmI&feature=my_liked_videos&list=LLz22TB79y-9ygQnCUySgrAQ

This is great for you! I am just starting out on Insanity day 1(skip fit test). Its hard but you can do it little by little. I was only able to do 8 minutes of it but I am not giving up and I'll do as many rounds as it takes to get a healthy body. Good luck!! I am 5'4 and around 172