Tips for my knees? Please and thankyou

Options
I need help. Who knows of any exercises or tips on this problem I have. After some Zumba or being on the treadmill I feel like my knees are locked and I can't do the Zumba jumps, any jumps, or able to use the stairs, or just bend my knees. I hope I'm being clear. Any tips for stretching or anything. Please and thank you.

Replies

• n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Deep barbell back squats, ditch some of the cardio...

Basically strengthen your knee joint considerably then see if you still have the pain/ stiffness.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I just went to the doctor Wednesday and talked about my knees. Mine crunch when I bend them and squats kill me! He told me to strengthen my thigh and hip muscles and not do the squats. I need to do the squats to strengthen those muscles! As my muscles are getting stronger, the pain is lessening. Dr said that pain won't go away but can get better with exercise. Hope this helps a little.
  • MMark2012
    MMark2012 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Doing step exercise, even with a small step in front of your tv used 20 minutes/twice a week , will strengthen every muscle around the knees. Also good for overall cardio, and major muscles of the legs. Step helped me years ago, when I had trouble with my knees:smile: . I try to incorporate step(at home) around once a week now. Hope this is helpful
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Cycling - be sure you adjust the seat properly.

http://www.cartilagehealth.com/cycling.html
  • waronmyfat
    waronmyfat Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I need help. Who knows of any exercises or tips on this problem I have. After some Zumba or being on the treadmill I feel like my knees are locked and I can't do the Zumba jumps, any jumps, or able to use the stairs, or just bend my knees. I hope I'm being clear. Any tips for stretching or anything. Please and thank you.

Start taking Glucosamine, Fish oil and Krill oil daily it will help with your knees I have bad knee pain especially when doing high amounts of cardio and if it wasnt for this I'd be crapping my panties at pushing 250kg leg presses...
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you may need to start with some ice to reduce the inflammation. Then you will be better able to assess exactly what is hurt. There are quite a few muscles in and around the knee, and even a hip issue could cause the knee pain.
  • asgard825
    asgard825 Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    stay off the treadmill and switch to an elliptical--no impact. Being flatfooted can cause an issue as well
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I was seeing a physical therapist for my knees. They had me doing body weight squats, Bavarian lunges, monster walks, and side steps with a band, and kick backs. They also have me stretching my quads, and hamstrings really well, and doing bridges. They told me my glutes were weak, and I needed to do exercises that strengthened them.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    water aerobics are a beautiful thing, and the elliptical has the least amount of impact on knees.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    water aerobics are a beautiful thing, and the elliptical has the least amount of impact on knees.

I would second this.

OP by your ticker, it appears you have about 175 lbs to lose. The water workouts will take all the weight stress off your joints and allow them to move more freely without the pressure, and you can still get a good hard workout in the pool as well. It's a great workout for anyone who has joint issues.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Learn weights/yoga, stop doing Zumba. Zumba is great fun for people without knee issues. I'm even a dancer (Zumba kills my knees). Zumba is not good for people with knee issues. Essentially it is fast dancing intended to try and burn lots of cals at a steady state without proper form. Fun for people that can do that. An improper use of dancing, otherwise.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly Yoga was the best help with my knees, I use to have so much pain from biking hard for 10 minutes, now I can go close to two hours before I start feeling discomfort and not pain.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Basically strengthen your knee joint considerably then see if you still have the pain/ stiffness.

This. When I'm lifting regularly my knees are pain free. When I'm not, yeah, I have some pretty bad pain. I can't sit with my legs bent for long periods of time, can't hike, walk, or run without pain.

Also, stop the jumping. What you need is controlled slow movements with good form.

Oh, and glucosamine condrotin (sp?).
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options

Thirded