10 pound weights

Options
What exercises can I do with 10lb weights to tone up and gain more strength in my arms and legs?

Replies

• MikeRuz1
    Options
    If your looking for strength gains then perform exercises with a weight where you'll reach failure in 8-10 reps, failure being you could not possibly do one more rep even if you tried.

please dont be scared of getting wicked muscular if you lift heavy weights, if it were that easy then every guy would be walking around like Arnold Schwarzenegger back in his bodybuilding days lol
  • dzarello
    dzarello Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    What exercises can I do with 10lb weights to tone up and gain more strength in my arms and legs?

Nothing.
    It would take you a lifetime of lifting the 10lb weights to do anything. Pick up some heavy weights if you want to gain more strength. My mother in law is around 50yrs old and she squats OVER 225lbs, benches 100lbs, and Rack Pulls OVER 265lbs and she is 140ish pounds and is stronger than ever.
    P.S. She doesn't look all muscley either. :tongue:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Read the 'New rules of lifting for women'....has a lot of good info and a workout schedule. You will need to challenge yourself with a weight that is heavy for you. If you can do 12 reps easily...it's too light. 10 pounders may be a great beginning point to get your form and and learn the moves but you'll need to bump it up to progress. Also body weight exercises are awesome!! Pushups, pullups, squats, lunges, planks, jumping jacks ect. You can google and youtube body weight exercises for more ideas or go to blenderfitness.com for free workouts. I also love Jillian Michaels yoga meltdown....trust me it's a challenge.

Don't feel intimidated or inadequate by a lot of these posters who will tell you if you're not squatting with a volkswagon on your back your wasting your time. We all have to start somewhere, we all have our specific needs and goals. Just get out there and try!!
  • dzarello
    dzarello Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Read the 'New rules of lifting for women'....has a lot of good info and a workout schedule. You will need to challenge yourself with a weight that is heavy for you. If you can do 12 reps easily...it's too light. 10 pounders may be a great beginning point to get your form and and learn the moves but you'll need to bump it up to progress. Also body weight exercises are awesome!! Pushups, pullups, squats, lunges, planks, jumping jacks ect. You can google and youtube body weight exercises for more ideas or go to blenderfitness.com for free workouts. I also love Jillian Michaels yoga meltdown....trust me it's a challenge.

Don't feel intimidated or inadequate by a lot of these posters who will tell you if you're not squatting with a volkswagon on your back your wasting your time. We all have to start somewhere, we all have our specific needs and goals. Just get out there and try!!

True, everyone does have to start somewhere, but 10lbs to tone and gain strength? My two year old son picks up, carries around and squats with a 10lb plate. Starting with 10lbs IS a waste of time. Everyone has the strength, the power and the will to lift heavy. Some people just never use/do it.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I bet most men can't do an external rotation with a 10lb weight with anything approaching decent form...so there is that exercise.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Lateral Raises are a exercise to use w/a lighter weight.
  • saraedens
    Options

Thanks for the site I just started lifting weights and need the info on what moves. :)
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    set the 10lb weights down, then step back 10 feet. Do wall-assisted handstand pushups.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I do my cardio with 10 pound weights!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

True, everyone does have to start somewhere, but 10lbs to tone and gain strength? My two year old son picks up, carries around and squats with a 10lb plate. Starting with 10lbs IS a waste of time. Everyone has the strength, the power and the will to lift heavy. Some people just never use/do it.

Yes. I said 10 pounds to start off to learn form. I did not say to gain strength. Also....don't let your kid drop that 10 plate on his foot!!!!!!!!
  • HazyButterfly
    Options
    Thank you!
    I will check it out.Im only asking about 10lb weights because I've never done lifting,and its what I have at the moment.
    But thanks for the advice everyone!:)