Night shift pains

Options
So here I am, working my 12-hr night shift in the hospital. I have been drinking lots and lots of water (I'm up to 64 fl oz and counting - I've been using the Mio stuff). I ate a can of soup with a "fresh stack" of saltines. I had an orange and an apple. And then another orange. So why do I have this bottomless pit feeling in my stomach????? Imma about to raid the snack machines for something to kill the hunger. I honestly don't know how else to kill it... Any suggestions for now? For the future, I plan on having a crap ton of celery or other veggies for such 'crises'. Just have to make it to the grocery store... :P I hate night shift. *pout*

Replies

• esealjme
    Options
    I work night shift as well and have the same problems. I hope someone has good advice for you.
  • AliceRabbit13
    AliceRabbit13 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Me too lol
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! If you're in a bind with no raw fruits and veggies, make a cup of tea and wait it out. This is a mind over matter moment. If you get through it, you'll build confidence.

Your stomach is full. You know that. You're going to have to be strong and focus on something else. And when food creeps back into your consciousness, don't panic. Just patiently and firmly move your attention back to something that isn't food.

Shift work is very challenging. It makes you stressed and emotional. So you have to send out for some extra objectivity in training and reassuring yourself that you have this under control. You're well fed, and you're just feeling emotionally driven to eat.
  • AliceRabbit13
    Options
    Thank you :)
    I got distracted by work, and now that I'm having down time again, I don't have that panicky hunger feeling again. I do, however, need to pee...again.
    After my next 32 oz of fluids, I will have some of that tea I packed myself... :)
  • elebel82
    elebel82 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I take a tonne of really low calorie food with me, tends to do the trick for me. I also do the "broccoli test." I take a whole lot of green veggies and at 3am if I'm hungry, I think to myself "oh yes, that's what I have the broccoli for" and 9 times of 10 it turns out I'm not hungry. As for now, nuts can be good if you can trust yourself to count them out before eating them. Pistachios are the best. 25 pistachios are satisfying because of the opening action, it feels like you're eating a lot more.
  • jlburns2005
    jlburns2005 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    High protein meals do it for me. Or a shake
  • AliceRabbit13
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I love the 'broccoli test', and I'm gonna have to pack more proteins....thinking those tuna packets?
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    You didn't eat anything substantial. I'd up the protein. Crackers are processed carbs that always left me feeling starving shortly after eating them.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    How's your sleep? For me, whenever I lacked sleep, I was always feeling hungry and was grazing to help compensate.
  • AliceRabbit13
    Options
    You didn't eat anything substantial. I'd up the protein. Crackers are processed carbs that always left me feeling starving shortly after eating them.

So true about the crackers. I guess I was concentrating more on the calories rather than the content. So difficult to do nutrition properly!
  • AliceRabbit13
    Options
    How's your sleep? For me, whenever I lacked sleep, I was always feeling hungry and was grazing to help compensate.

My sleep is about as crappy as my current diet lol I frequently wake up due to sounds, lights, etc., and I have a CPAP I'm supposed to be using (I haven't been recently due to a slight cold, and I am paying for it, believe me). My shrink and the sleep doc both say I have sleep disorders related to shift work as well as the sleep apnea, but management is more concerned about making sure slots are filled rather than individual needs. Fortunately I go back to days in December, and will be able to get on a regular sleep cycle again.

I do graze when I'm sleepy, which is about all I am on night shift... :P
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    You need some protein !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be careful with the tuna b/c of the mercury but yes work in more protein.

Dannon fit Dannon Light & Fit - Greek Yogurt has 2X the protein, 10 LESS carbs, and less calories also for a change from meat.
  • AliceRabbit13
    Options
    Will do. I packed not only tuna tonight, but salmon too ;) And a bunch of celery. I'm worried though, as I have already eaten my 'snack', and it's not even close to 'lunch' yet, and I'm HUNGRY... :/

will power, will power, will power!!!!!!!!!!!
  • blcotton
    Options
    I work night shifts too and it's horrible. I know how hard it is to resist raiding the snack machines when you are so hungry. I just started back on mfp and hope I can stick to this. I definitey am not doing as good as I could be and I know that. I always packs something unhealthy like pasta, crackers, pudding etc. and none of this stuff keeps me full. I need to start packing more veggies and fruits too and just remember to stay motivated and dedicated. I'm also hoping to switch to dayshift in December so hopefully I will be able to! Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    That doesn't really sound like a lot of food. For a 12 hour shift that sounds like very little food. That is what, 400 calories? Might wanna add more cooked food that you can gnaw on to satisfy you.

I know when I used to do late night work, if I didn't ate anything I would just go crazy with hunger and would wanna eat junk food available in sight! Possibly try upping your calories and see if it makes a difference?