Scale problems?

Options
Ok.. so I have one of those older scales.. Not the digital kind.. and I am really bad..weigh myself every single day.. because for me it's a motivational tool.. When I don't weigh myself is when I gain back the weight...mind games I know but anyways.. So I went for a physical a couple months ago and the big scale they weighed me on was 5 lbs more than mine at home.. didn't think too much off it..as the weeks went by doing the MFP addiction, I lost a few pounds here and there on my scale.. Again... had to go to the Dr. and again..its 5 lbs heavier.. So from the start on MFP I have been using and logging in my weight using my scale.. now do I have to add five pounds every time? I know five pounds doesn't seem like a lot for anyone to fret over but one pound is a lot to me! I guess so long as I see the scale going down and not up I am happy.. But I wonder what my REAL weight is!! I go back to the Dr in two weeks for another appointment..we'll see if their scale still says I'm loosing weight or not!! Mine may be lying to me because it knows I will throw it out the window if the numbers go up hahahaa!

Replies

• LML79
    LML79 Posts: 697
    Options
    Ok.. so I have one of those older scales.. Not the digital kind.. and I am really bad..weigh myself every single day.. because for me it's a motivational tool.. When I don't weigh myself is when I gain back the weight...mind games I know but anyways.. So I went for a physical a couple months ago and the big scale they weighed me on was 5 lbs more than mine at home.. didn't think too much off it..as the weeks went by doing the MFP addiction, I lost a few pounds here and there on my scale.. Again... had to go to the Dr. and again..its 5 lbs heavier.. So from the start on MFP I have been using and logging in my weight using my scale.. now do I have to add five pounds every time? I know five pounds doesn't seem like a lot for anyone to fret over but one pound is a lot to me! I guess so long as I see the scale going down and not up I am happy.. But I wonder what my REAL weight is!! I go back to the Dr in two weeks for another appointment..we'll see if their scale still says I'm loosing weight or not!! Mine may be lying to me because it knows I will throw it out the window if the numbers go up hahahaa!
  • 2Shoes
    2Shoes Posts: 396
    Options

Well, it's possible that both are right. I mean when you weigh yourself at home is it usually first thing in the morning and naked? Then you go to the Dr.'s after you have eaten and fully clothed?

That was my first thought.
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    Options

Well, it's possible that both are right. I mean when you weigh yourself at home is it usually first thing in the morning and naked? Then you go to the Dr.'s after you have eaten and fully clothed?

That was my first thought.

I was gonna say the exact same thing!
  • LML79
    Options
    I actually weigh myself at all different times.. but only log in the first time in the morning weight (because it is usually the lowest then) .When I went to the Dr..the first time was nine in the morning fully clothes..nothing to eat at that time yet because I had to fast for bloodwork....and the second was one in the afternoon.. after a lunch...and I made it a point to wear the EXACT same clothes as the time before to see what it said...And again..even though it showed a five pound loss from the time written on the charts before...it was still five pounds more than my scale at home.. So I guess I don't know which one to go by anymore..
  • PhotographerOfNature
    PhotographerOfNature Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I agree. There is a big difference in the time of day that you weigh. It is always more accurate, first thing in the morning after you have gone to the bathroom and with no clothes on. I would still go by your scale because you are on it everyday. I weigh everyday too. I've tried to break the habit, but cannot. I used to have an older scale too and then bought a digital one. It only weighs on the 1/2s though which I suppose is ok. But, like you I want to know EXACTLY. :laugh: And yes, 5 pounds is alot. As long as you are losing on your scale you should be good to go.
  • LML79
    Options
    I agree. There is a big difference in the time of day that you weigh. It is always more accurate, first thing in the morning after you have gone to the bathroom and with no clothes on. I would still go by your scale because you are on it everyday. I weigh everyday too. I've tried to break the habit, but cannot. I used to have an older scale too and then bought a digital one. It only weighs on the 1/2s though which I suppose is ok. But, like you I want to know EXACTLY. :laugh: And yes, 5 pounds is alot. As long as you are losing on your scale you should be good to go.

Yeah I am a scale addict! I really should buy one of those digital ones..but shopping for one is so confusing!! I don't want to spend a ton of money on a scale but wonder if the cheaper ones are as accurate.. So I just keep the one I have. I don't mind weighing myself every day..especially since I am working to lose weight..so the scale is going in the right direction. If I don't weigh myself every day ..and go a few weeks..the scale for some reason goes up and not down..I think it's just a daily reminder for me to keep working at it. I remember one time..over the holidays..I didn't weigh myself at all ( Wasn't dieting either) and almost died when I packed on over ten pounds . Never again thanks to MFP!
  • 2Shoes
    Options
    This is the scale I use http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5509339

I am VERY happy with it. It matches my Dr.s office one too.
  • LML79
    Options
    This is the scale I use http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5509339

I'll take that scale.....and the weight it says on it hahahahaa! :laugh:
  • 2Shoes
    Options

I'll take that scale.....and the weight it says on it hahahahaa! :laugh:

LOL, I didn't even notice it, but I would too!!!:tongue:
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing when I started MFP. A month into my new lifestyle, I purchased a new scale (digital) and my new one matched my Dr's office (office 5lbs more too).
    Anyhow, once I changed scales I added the 5lbs to MFP(which sucked) but now I have completely adjusted and I don't think twice about it.

Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Once when I was at the dr.'s office they told me not to worry about their scale, it was badly in need of a re-calibration. So even dr's office scales can sometimes be off, apparently.

Also, the number of pounds that you weigh or want to weigh is pretty arbitrary when you consider that what you really want is to like the way your body looks and feels. The actual weight is only an objective measure to help you see the progress you're making. If and when you reach your goal on your scale and feel good about your body, would it matter that the doctor's office said you weigh 5 pounds more?
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Speaking of scales, my doctor's office has a sign posted above the scale. It reads: "No spitting". :laugh:
  • LML79
    Options
    Speaking of scales, my doctor's office has a sign posted above the scale. It reads: "No spitting". :laugh:

Hahahaaa!! Mine should say no kicking hahahaa! I kick it when it doesnt tell me the answer I want :tongue:
  • PhotographerOfNature
    PhotographerOfNature Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    yes, I agree about the kicking. Sometimes when I really get frustrated I do kick mine back in the place where it sits when I'm not weighing, which is against one wall. It's just so frustrating sometimes. :explode: