My misconception about running...

Options
I started c25k in August, and ran my first 5k in October. This Thanksgiving, I ran a 5 mile race in 53:47. Yesterday, I ran 10 miles in just under 2 hours, the most I have ever run at once.

The thing is, I am still overweight. OBESE, actually.
I always thought that if I was fit enough to run 10 miles, or even 5, that I would no longer be obese.

*sigh*

I was wrong.

Make no mistake, I am proud of my accomplishment, but I sure wish losing this weight were easier.
IT'S ALL ABOUT THE FOOD, People!

Replies

• newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    It is all about the food - so true.

Now that we know that- imagine what we can do! Shoot- you're running 10 miles now and YOU know stuff ;)

It gets even better than this- imagine that?! I would be excited about whats next if I was you. Ive been running a while now and 10 miles still seems daunting.

Great work so far!
  • LauriePar
    LauriePar Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    However-- reaching your fitness goals are half the battle and your heart :drinker: thanks you!
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    how awesome of you!
  • GdeVries
    GdeVries Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Very amazing accomplishment. And even though the scale may not have the right numbers, you have to be more muscle than fat. Which is better, way better.

I started C25K in september and just ran 3.5km in 25 minutes. Slow, I know, but will keep at it and speed things up.

So now to get busy (again) with the food. I slide back down the greasy slope to 'bad food'. Trying to eat cleaner each day. Somewhere, somehow this will pay off! :)

Good luck to you!
  • reederx5
    reederx5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    How long did it take you to run a mile? I am trying to learn to run but find myself gasping for air. Maybe I am pounding the pavement to hard. I watched my sister run and she kinda glides??..?? Looks effortless. I want to run so bad. I did finally run a mile on the treadmill but it took me 15 minutes and I have only been able to do it two times. It's way to cold to try and start running outside right now where I live. I did that one evening and coughed and choked for about 30 minutes. My chest felt raw. Keep up the good work!!!! So happy for you.
  • andreamarieroberts
    Options
    reederx5: It took a while. I started walking in July, at least 2 miles a day for at least 3 days a week. Then in August I just started jogging as far as I could (not very far) then walking, then jogging, then walking... It took me until sometime in late August to run a mile. By the end of September I could run about 3. I also gasped for air at first. I would choke and gasp and was totally unable to speak after jogging for a bit.
    NOW - I can almost carry on a conversation while jogging. I no longer gasp, I feel like I can catch my breath while I am out there doing it.
    I worked very hard for the last 3 months. 4-5 days a week, at least 15 miles a week, most weeks I did more than that.

I am so happy I am able to do this, but the food - UGH - I am struggling.

:)
  • tejasmh87
    tejasmh87 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way.

You are showing others that even an "obese" person can run a 5K. Think of all the people saying "Nah I can't do that. Look at me." and You are showing them they can accomplish it as well!

I am at 285lbs on a 5ft 11in frame and I am labeled Morbidly Obese. I hit my 3.1 run 2 weeks ago and have my first 5K in 2 weeks :)

What I have noticed is the scale moves...very...small...and...it...drives...me...nuts.
    BUT- my tape measure shows me that since I started MFP I have lost 15 inches off my body and added on lean muscle. Yet, only lost 8lbs after 5+ months.

So get out your tape measure and see what yours says :) Losing body fat is the most important, imho, and boy does running help do that!

*HUGS*
  • sahm23ladies
    sahm23ladies Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You might be doing too much too fast. Check out the couch to 5k programs out there. If you have a smartphone you can download an app to help you achieve your running goals. I use rundouble c25k. I'm on week 7. You can run time intervals or distance intervals. Good luck!

I meant this for reederx5... I didn't click the quote button! lol