Inches VS pounds

Options
I am slowly losing inches, but my weight just keeps fluctuating up and down by a few pounds.....any thoughts????

Replies

• Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on losing inches! You're getting smaller, and that's what you want, right? Forget the scale.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It means you're doing something right. Enjoy it.

You're so close to your goal that the number on the scale means exactly diddly-squat.
  • ElleEmmeKay
    Options
    I've thrown out the scale... that number doesn't mean anything to me anymore. For so long I've tried to be "skinny" and it did absolutely nothing for me even when I was. I'm an inches kind of girl anymore :)
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Everyone can see you losing inches and only can see the damn number on the scale.

Congrat you are losing fat.
  • dlegros
    dlegros Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Everyone can see you losing inches and only can see the damn number on the scale.

Congrat you are losing fat.

This says it best!
  • caseyglew
    Options
    Thanks!!!! I was going to replace the battery in my scale but I think I'll just stick with the tape measure lol : )
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It means you're doing something right. Enjoy it.

You're so close to your goal that the number on the scale means exactly diddly-squat.

This.

Also, generally when you lose inches but not weight, it means you are maintaining/retaining water weight as it's impossible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. If you are exercising or even eating too little, it is not uncommon to see this happen. I found that if you want to see the scale move, take a week off from exercise and set your account to maintain. Enjoy the extra calories and then come back to a moderate deficit (which for you is 1/2 lb per week) and if you exercise eat 50% of your exercise calories. Also, depending on your carb intake, you can be holding additional water weight which adjusting the macro's can provide some benefit.