Is myfitnesspal really this easy?!

Options
I workout more then my daily/weekly goals and I always eat under my calories. Will I really lose weight just from doing this? I know I get more calories to eat the more I work out, so if I eat more, but still stay under my calories.. will I really lose weight? I'm just baffled by all of this that it seems so easy.. I hope it is really this simple because I love it!!!

Replies

• sarahhnash
    Options
    Whenever I am eating healthily I am always surprised at how easy it is... It has been shown that those people that keep a diary of what they are eating do better and MFP is a great way to do that, so it's a good start!

One thing, I don't usually eat all of my exercise calories, as I am not sure how accurate the calories burned estimates are, I've heard that those on gym machines can be high, and they read similar to MFP estimates. But certainly if I work out more I do eat a bit more, and I love having that freedom to do so, especially if I know there is an event coming up or something.

Good luck!:)
  • sajar_06
    sajar_06 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Just that easy calories in and calories out is how it truly works. God Bless, Brenda
  • mictur
    mictur Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I started MFP in Feb. and I have been on a new lifestyle since last July. I have seen more of an accomplishment since I have been tracking my food and exercise. I usually only release a pound and now since MFP it's 2 lbs. I chat with my friends from FLs and reached out to new friends through MFP. :smooched:
  • JeniF1979
    JeniF1979 Posts: 18
    Options
    YES! It does work! I love the simplicity of MFP! I have tried so many other sites and they were so complex and difficult to navigate. I am so glad someone introduced me to MFP.
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Yes!!!! Just look at all of the weight loss tickers on the bottom of members' posts.
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Who would have thought right? I've been overweight my entire life and until finding this site and making the decision to take control on my body and my life was I able to start losing the weight! It's been 10 weeks and I am down 22lbs and counting! Good luck on your journey and welcome!
  • kgasser
    kgasser Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I workout more then my daily/weekly goals and I always eat under my calories. Will I really lose weight just from doing this? I know I get more calories to eat the more I work out, so if I eat more, but still stay under my calories.. will I really lose weight? I'm just baffled by all of this that it seems so easy.. I hope it is really this simple because I love it!!!

You be the judge...I eat my calories back...sometimes up to the last 10! I have lost 21 pounds since January 21st! Now realize that I weigh, by the gram, every damn thing I put in my mouth, unless it comes as a single serving...and am totally anal about logging in everything...BUT, I allow myself chocolate when I need it...or whatever else my brain gets wrapped around, but I have only gone over my calories 3 times and not exercised 2 days since 1/21.
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Yep, it really is that easy! Burn more calories than you consume, you lose weight. It's important to keep a food diary, and MFP makes it so simple!! I love it. I always try to eat my exercise calories too....don't want to go into starvation mode. But just keep logging your food and exercise every day, stay at or under your calorie goal, and watch the weight come off!
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I have been here since the end of January and lost 13lbs. As someone said calories in=calories out and you should do well
  • snookeroo
    snookeroo Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Whenever I am eating healthily I am always surprised at how easy it is... It has been shown that those people that keep a diary of what they are eating do better and MFP is a great way to do that, so it's a good start!

One thing, I don't usually eat all of my exercise calories, as I am not sure how accurate the calories burned estimates are, I've heard that those on gym machines can be high, and they read similar to MFP estimates. But certainly if I work out more I do eat a bit more, and I love having that freedom to do so, especially if I know there is an event coming up or something.

Can someone please explain. I am always confused about "Eating my exercise calories". What does that exactly mean?
    If my goal calories are 1750 and I earn 500 from exercise, does that mean I am only suppose to eat 500? That can't be right. Do I eat the 1750 and the 500? Then it would seem that I would only be maintaining and not losing weight. I hope someone can explain it to me. Pease go sloooooow! Thanks
  • snookeroo
    snookeroo Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Yep, it really is that easy! Burn more calories than you consume, you lose weight. It's important to keep a food diary, and MFP makes it so simple!! I love it. I always try to eat my exercise calories too....don't want to go into starvation mode. But just keep logging your food and exercise every day, stay at or under your calorie goal, and watch the weight come off!

How can you burn more than you consume? You'd have to be exercising half of the day.

PS
    Keep the faith...I loved reading your profile
  • schalker
    schalker Posts: 3
    Options
    Thats what I think.. thats why I'm baffled that this is suppose to work!!!
  • schalker
    schalker Posts: 3
    Options

Can someone please explain. I am always confused about "Eating my exercise calories". What does that exactly mean?
    If my goal calories are 1750 and I earn 500 from exercise, does that mean I am only suppose to eat 500? That can't be right. Do I eat the 1750 and the 500? Then it would seem that I would only be maintaining and not losing weight. I hope someone can explain it to me. Pease go sloooooow! Thanks

Thats what I'm confused about.. how does that make sense and you lose weight? I feel like I'm just eating back what I worked out!
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options

Thats what I'm confused about.. how does that make sense and you lose weight? I feel like I'm just eating back what I worked out!

MFP calculates a deficit in when you create your profile. For instance--1750 already allows for whatever you entered as your weekly weight loss goal. If you do not eat the 500 burned you eat 1250 calories net. (1750-500) I'm not explaining it very well so here's a link of things to read about the whole process:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/55796-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

It works!
  • kgasser
    Options

Ok, eating back your calories is VERY simple...MFP, when it calculates how many calories you should eat takes into account how many calories your body should burn (according to height, wt, age, and daily activity level) then takes away the calories that should give you the "calorie deficit" you need to lose the weight you indicated. For example, I weigh 237 pounds...I am dedicated to losing 2 pounds per week (This is a good goal for me, because I am SO obese...this WOULD NOT be a good goal for someone that is 150 pounds...it would be nearly impossible!). MFP says that I will burn 2190 calories per day if I were simply "lightly active" it is giving me a "deficit" of 1000 (3500 calories lost is 1 pound...so 2 pounds is 7000 calories per week, so 1,000 calories per day needs to be lost) calories per day to lose 2 pounds per day, so the calories it gives me to eat each day are 1200 (2190 - 1000 actually equals 1190, but MFP will not let you go under 1200,so soon I will need to decrease my goal to 1.5 pounds per week).

Now...if I exercise (which Ido religiously every single day!) and I burned 500 calories...that mean that I only took in a total of 700 calories for the day (1200-500) ...which is not healthy, no matter what anyone else tells you, and should ONLY be done if you are extremely obese and strictly (like seeing him/her every couple weeks) under Dr supervision. DR, not trainer!Therefore, you need to log in your exercise to MFP, which will, in turn, increase the number of calories you need to eat for the day.

I breathed and worked at my "desk job" today................... 1290 cal
    I ate........................................................................................... -1310 cal
    current level.................................................................................. -20 cal
    I did Wii for 50 minutes, high intensity.................................. +550 cal
    current level.................................................................................+530 cal
    need to eat BETWEEN....................................................430 to 530 cal in order to maintian wt loss and be healthy

One of the reasons I love to exercise now is because it gives me more giggle room with my diet!!!

Make sense?

MFP will do it all for you, as long as you log in both calories and exercise, so relax and breathe! you can do this!
  • kgasser
    Options
    pmjsmom...just gotta say...your grandbaby is so cute...and it looks just like you!:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    pmjsmom...just gotta say...your grandbaby is so cute...and it looks just like you!:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • 0mega60
    0mega60 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    hey guys....im still 2 months new with the program and iphone app..........since im getting extreme with my workouts 7 days and data daily updates and reviews...:))))))

seems that i cannot grasp the DAILY SUMMARY REPORT.....seems i can add my cardio and register calories for it but no setup for excercise/calories...?????

confused !!!!!!

please help