Breast Cancer Survivor

Options
I am a 39 year old breast cancer survivor. I am coming up on my one year "cancerversary". I have 10 stubborn pounds to go to reach my prechemo goal weight. I am hoping that tracking my calories and excercise will help me acheive this goal!

Replies

• tayloremayde1
    tayloremayde1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Congrats on being a survivor, I am a leukemia survivor and know the difficulties of trying to lose that chemo weight. I gained 40+ pounds during treatment which I started in 2003 and completely finished in 2006. I have lost a little over 20+ but still have 14 to go until my pre-cancer weight but would like to lose at least an additional 6 for a total of 20lbs.

You can do it, think about all of the treatments and all of your determination to beat the cancer and that should be your motivation :)
    YOU CAN DO IT!!! I know you can and I'm here if you need support :)

Good luck...
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on being one year out!!!! I just passed my two year mark (breast cancer diagnosed in Sept 2010 at age 35). It is not an easy road, and that chemo weight doesn't help. I used to joke that at least the chemo would help me lose weight (as I had just had a baby) --- little did I know that I would gain. But with the help of exercise and this site, I have managed to lose my chemo weight and a little bit more.

Best of luck to you. Feel free to add me if you would like.
  • NewMeJC
    NewMeJC Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congrats to being survivors! I was diagnosed mid Sept of this year, when my son was just 2 weeks old. I have been surviving ever since! While this journey is not easy, esp the chemo, it could be worse. I am happy to have stumbled upon this post today! I haven't been on here in awhile, but I know what I want and what needs to be done to help me be successful in this journey. I too believed the myth that I would lose wt on chemo, only to find myself gaining because I forgot about the IV steroids. Long story short, I will smack cancer and fat in the face, so thank you for the encouragement!
  • wilmawm
    wilmawm Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi y'all, I'm also part of the club no-one wants to join! I was diagnosed last June; I had surgery in July (lumpectomy) and I finished chemo last week! I'll be starting radiation treatments in January. NewMeJC, love the way you out it; I'm going to smack cancer and fat in the face right along with you!
  • Panmars
    Options
    I too am a breast cancer survivor, just passed the 2 year mark. Diagnosed November 11, 2010 , at age 43. I was fortunate not to have to go through chemo, just surgery, radiation and tamoxifen. However, the tamoxifen has been less than kind to me. After 6 months on it, it caused my ovaries to become massively cystic, and they had to be removed. Hello instant menopause. At the same time, it has caused severe joint pain and inflammation, for which I'm on a daily pred dose. I've gained 20 pounds in the past year. Not good. Before cancer, I exercised and ate well. After, not so much. Today, I get back to it. Now, it's off to the gym!
  • mblampton
    Options
    I was diagnosed in Nov 2010 also - age 36. I went through chemo, double mastectomy, and reconstruction. I started MFP in July and have lost 37 pounds and was feeling fantastic!

Unfortunately, I found out two weeks ago that my cancer has spread to my lungs and bones. I'm struggling with maintaining all of the great progress that I've made while resuming chemo. Anyone done well with eating to lose and exercising regularly during chemo?
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Mblampton, I am sorry to hear your cancer has spread. There has been promising news in the past few years, and I hope you respond well to treatment.

I am almost a year since diagnosis and just cleared again to go back to working out. Had numerous surgeries in the past 2 years, so I've been "easing back into working out" at least 6-7 times. I have lost a lot of ground but will not give up. May 2013 be the year we all get ourselves back.