Macros, Protein Shakes, and Omega 3's

Options
While reading the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. I realized I needed to change my macros from 55/15/30 to 40/30/30. So I started that today, although I am sure it will take me some time to figure out what I need to eat to get there.

I need recommendations on a good protein shake with whey protein. I have never in my life ever taken supplements like this. So if you found one you like the best or tastes the best will you please share with me? And where you buy it?

I also want to start taking Fish oil capsules for Omega 3's since I don't eat any fish, have never had flaxseed and eat a limited amount of walnuts. Any recommendations on these? Are there bad side affects when taking fish oil capsules? I do not want to be burping up fishy stuff or anything. :sick:

Thanks for any advice or recommendations you can give me. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I have tried a few whey protein shakes, and my favorite ( for the money) is Body Fortress Whey Protein Powder. It has 26grs of protein for one scoop and I think its like 130-140 calories (per scoop). I have tried a few expensive ones, and I didnt think it was worth the money. I just bought some on Amazon, cause they had a good deal. Oh,and the taste is not bad at all.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I like Optimum Nutrition... etiher the Gold Standard Whey or the Pro Complex. I also use their Casein. Chocolate flavors are good, vanilla and strawberry are ok... didn't care for cookies and cream, but taste is personal preference.
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    GREAT BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    Bump!
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    I'll have to check some of these out on Amazon today, maybe I can get some sort of Cyber Monday deal on it :drinker:
  • Schmelvie
    Schmelvie Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'll second the Body Fortress Whey Protein. I picked it up at Wal-Mart a couple of weeks ago when I changed my macros. It's relatively inexpensive, and I think it's yummy. I mix it with skim milk to give me even a little bit more protein.
  • DawnVanSlim
    Options
    Thanks Schmelvie, I will have to check out Wal-mart and see if I can get a small container to try out, before I start buying in bulk.
  • grendel322
    grendel322 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've been mixing chia seeds into my shakes/oatmeals, etc. Here's what I read on them - maybe this will help with your Omega 3 conundrum??:

CHIA seeds. I followed Pepper Lynn's lead and included chia seeds in my refrigerator oats recipes. I've been hearing a lot of buzz about the nutritional powerhouse in these teensie little seeds, and this is a great way to sneak them into your diet. Chia seeds:

•have more Omega 3 fatty acids than flax seed (important for heart health)
    •are the richest non-marine whole food source of Omega-3 (better than salmon)
    •absorb 10 times their weight in water and transform into a gel-like substance--great for athletes for maintaining hydration and helps with weight loss by making you feel full longer
    •are as high in protein as quinoa
    •are loaded with calcium, potassium, Vitamin B, and anti-oxidants
    •help balance blood sugar via the gelling action of the seed and it’s unique combination of soluble and insoluble fiber that slow down your body’s conversion of starches into sugars
    •have a neutral taste so they will take on the other flavors in a recipe
    •can be eaten whole (unlike flax seed); they don't have to be ground before adding them to food in order to digest them and benefit from their nutrients
    •have a two year shelf life, stored at room temperature (flax seeds quickly become rancid and loose their nutritional value)

Oh, and I just use the Jillian Michaels whey powder. Bought it as Wal-Mart, it was relatively inexpensive and has good reviews. I don't use it that often, just in smoothies and when I do a long run and don't have any other handy protein options. I think it was under $10?? I like it just fine, too!
  • DawnVanSlim
    Options
    Yes! Thanks Larry! Where do I find Chia seeds in my grocery store? They sound perfect, I would rather try those then the fish oil.
  • grendel322
    grendel322 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't know about quantity you'd have to ingest to make up for a capsule! I bought mine at Trader Joe's, I think they were near the oatmeal section? I usually add 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons when I'm making something. A protein shake with Chia seeds is something I've done at least a couple of times! :) They have some other pretty good benefits too, listed. The chia seeds are on Amazon, but I think that price is almost triple what I paid at the store??! Mine were like $5 (I think).