Anyone here gained weight on anti depressants?

Options
I gained 50 pounds on Abilify, Effexor, and Lexapro. Has anyone here been able to lose weight that they gained from meds?

Replies

• carlye_slover
    Options
    bump!

I have gained 10lbs on zoloft in the last 3 months! not much, but I don't want it to continue!
  • leahartmann
    Options
    I gained 53 pounds in a year from Abilify as well. I managed to lose about 15 pounds so far. You CAN lose, but it takes more time than most. Just be patient!!
  • SunnyStef
    SunnyStef Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I gained about 60 lbs. on Abilify. I'm having a difficult time losing, but I'm sure it can be done. I know that being depressed makes losing weight even harder. Good luck to you.
  • nadinewhitley
    Options
    Hi, I am in UK (not sure on difference in drugs etc...).

I have been on venlafaxine and clonazepan for the past 4 years, before that citalopran. My weight has been up and down for a while, im not huge by any mean (5'9 and 150 lbs) but I used to be approx 135 lbs, so I dont feel comfortable. 5 weeks ago I came off my medication, not just because of weight, I just dont want to be on them forever. Im going to really try and lose the weight, but it feels like a bit of a no win situation. Ive got to try and not get depressed / anxious so I dont turn to food or back to the meds! So I am also going to try and use exercise to make me feel better.

good luck to everyone, im sure it can be done on medication!
  • terracotti
    terracotti Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    me, I started gaining weight when I was on meds. I stopped taking them tho.
  • keyboardwench
    keyboardwench Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Cymbalta's supposed to be weight neutral. My abnormal psych prof talked about it briefly - he mentioned how it was a newer choice for people/mainly women who had issues/fears of using medications associated with weight gain. As well my ex was on it for the 2 years we were together and I never saw any weight gain. Can't really say if he had any initially though, wasn't around then, but he has always been a skinny guy from what I can tell.
  • kathrynlouiseellis
    Options
    Yep on Zoloft I did, but I needed them so I started training, works two fold, the exercise helps the depression, without the meds I couldn't exercise.
  • craftycatlady
    craftycatlady Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've gained 30 pounds in the last year and I think being diagnosed with bipolar disorder and starting Zoloft was a contributing factor. I wouldn't blame the meds directly, but the Zoloft has caused me to need more sleep and feel somewhat lethargic. Additionally, when I'm depressed I tend to engage in emotional eating. It's a battle for sure, but you're not alone and we're here to cheer you on!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    whoa, they must have loads of calories in them.
  • LaceyMorley
    Options
    I am on Wellbutrin and I've lost 11 lbs. It is known to help promote weight loss. But just a little background - I am actually one of those who gains weight while depressed so when I went on meds I was up 50lbs from the depression. Now... I am doing much better and losing weight. You might want to ask your doctor about Wellbutrin if you feel you are gaining too much from the one you are on now.
  • polishmehappy
    polishmehappy Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Celexa made me gain weight. My highest was 169 lbs (I'm only 5 ft tall). Once I stopped taking it I lost 15 lbs.
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I just started Effexor-venlafaxine--and I've lost 11.5 pounds in 7 days. I feel so much better and I've been much more active. I have no idea what it will be like long-term, but for now, I'm loving it! I feel like myself again and it's easy to stay away from the fridge. Like LaceyMorley, I gained weight over the summer and into the Fall being depressed. I really didn't realize I was depressed, I just felt like sleeping all the time, I was tired all the time, etc. I thought it was my age, the weather and all that. I'm much older than LaceyMorley, so I didn't think it was much of anything important.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I'm on an SSRI which is associated with weight gain, but I have found no change in my composition with maintaining the exact same eating and exercise routine; as a matter of fact I'm not certain how the caloric equation would change. You can't gain what you don't eat and you can't store as fat what you burn.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I had a 60 lb gain with paxil years ago...after I was off of it I dropped it. HATE that crap
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Without trying to aggravate people too much - it is not the tablets that cause you to gain the weight, it is what you eat whilst on them. Anti-depressants made me not give a damn about what I was doing to myself so I kept eating. There is no fat in tablets, therefore you cannot directly gain fat from them.
  • leeleeloulou
    Options
    I'm taking sertraline and i find that my weight is up with them, when i stopped when i was pregnant i actually lost weight... granted hormones etc. but i still believe that the antidepressants are also part of it.
    I also think (although i know this doesn't apply to the original poster as it's a gender issue) that my contraceptive pill is partly to blame too.
    Having said all that; I do like my food and what i put in my mouth is totally my responsibility. So as much as I try, there's no getting out of it. It's mainly my own fault lol
    xxxxxx
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I did. I gained 40+ when I was put on prozac years ago, started happening again recently when i went on zoloft. Now, to hell with those meds.
  • cama78
    cama78 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been on them over 5 years and have gained no weight at all.
  • centexhusker
    centexhusker Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I don't know about putting on weight but...

I will say from experience that being on a anti-depressent slows down the weight loss rate.

I'm trying to ween myself off of a very low dose of one(10mg) and replacing it with cardio to relieve stress and anxiety.

It's working so far :)
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Extra workouts might help... Or, talk to your doctor. If I remember correctly, I would gain on Lexapro too. But, I'm on Pristique now... and it increases energy. So... in addition to me exercising and eating right, that helps as well.