bananas make you gain weight??

Options
JanieJack
JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
Hello. A friend told me that when she was underweight and trying to gain weight to join the military, her recruiter told her to eat bananas and milkshakes.

I'd heard that dairy causes the body to increase the body's predisposition to storing fat but hadn't heard anything about bananas.

Your thoughts?

Replies

• FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    a) Wrong forum

b) total bs. you gain weight by eating more calories than you burn.
  • endureandpersist
    endureandpersist Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    A recruiter will tell you ANYTHING!
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    I've been eating bananas since I was a small child. I weigh more now than I did then, so yes, they make you gain weight.
  • Runner50266
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables didn't make me fat. Overeating non-nutritional food and not exercising did. Calories in vs calories out.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    This is true... but if you eat enough of anything, it'll make you gain weight.
  • schlange11b
    schlange11b Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    F#*K NO, SNAKE!!
    Excess calories cause you to gain weight, not any one food.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Prolly bananas and milkshakes as they're healthy bulking options.
    Dairy does not cause the body to store fat. On the contrary, many studies have found that the higher dairy diet helps lose weight. Likely it's increased protein helping with satiety, but whatever.

Bananas, dairy, do not make you gain or retain weight. No food does. Only eating more than you need, as FullOfWin says.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Eating most food in mass quantity is going to make you gain weight.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Yup.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I've been eating bananas since I was a small child. I weigh more now than I did then, so yes, they make you gain weight.
    Ha.
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^ What all of them said. Quoted verbatim.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    everything makes you gain weight if you eat it in excess
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    "A medium banana is fat-free and provides around 110 calories. A rich source of important nutrients, bananas provide around 450 mg of potassium, 3 g of dietary fiber, 1 g of protein and 15 percent of the daily value of vitamin C. Of the 30 g of carbohydrates contained in a medium banana, 8 g come from starch and 19 from sugars, with the remainder coming from fiber"

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/519407-does-eating-bananas-make-you-fat/#ixzz2DL7grn26

I personally love bananas, and we dehydrate them.. my kids love them.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Wow. Thanks. I think.

C'mon. Really?
    No need to be snarky about it. Most people in the guy say that you bulk up more if you eat more protein after lifting or a long workout. Milk/dairy has a lot of protein, so I get the milkshakes. But I didn't understand (and still don't, despite all the, uh, insightful responses) why he would say bananas.
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options

LOL!
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    poor bananas.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSumTEuD9E8_iVHT9DkWuk_hZqqwEHKeXkRdefsYetbEDTCyMjaK5RSyg
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Wow. Thanks. I think.

C'mon. Really?
    No need to be snarky about it. Most people in the guy say that you bulk up more if you eat more protein after lifting or a long workout. Milk/dairy has a lot of protein, so I get the milkshakes. But I didn't understand (and still don't, despite all the, uh, insightful responses) why he would say bananas.

Sugar.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Only when I put them in my pockets and then step on the scale.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    I usually gain weight after eating bananas then after 4 - 6 hours it plops down
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

This. This is SCIENCE!