Strange Week

Options
Hi All,

I've been losing about 1 pound a week since I started weight loss in July of this year. Eating 1300 calories give or take a few and exercising with a 5 km power walk 3 times a week.

I've been satisfied with the results. My last walk was Wednesday last week. I caught the flu and have been in bed all weekend sick. So I weigh this morning and lost 4 pounds.... How is that possible???

Thanks for any input.
This is very confusing.

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    When I'm sick I tend to drop a lot of water weight, and just don't eat, because I'm sick.

It will come back, don't worry. Also your body probably is thanking you for the rest time too.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Probably waste.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Very possible; I had the flu for the first time ever last year and lost 10 lbs in one week. I had both stomach and respiratory flu. I couldn't eat or drink; I would be hungry, so I'd make soup, then I'd take a spoonful and gag. That's all I'd get down, and go back to bed. You are likely dehydrated and likely you did not get 1300 calories per day while sick with the flu. Its very common for people to lose lots of weight while sick. It won't necessarily stay off.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Dehydration.
  • mjoslin1990
    mjoslin1990 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm still new to this, but maybe because you were sick you lost water weight... even if not dehydrated I'm sure you didn't eat a lot of what you normally eat. Check your sodium intake, I know for me if I'm close (or over) 2,500mg of sodium for the day I will be UP 2-5lbs the next day. The days that I'm low on sodium I'm usually back to my "normal" weight. That isn't being "dehydrated" for me that's just all the water weight I was holding in.

That's just an idea though, like i said I'm still working my own kinks out.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    When I feel sick, I don't eat, don't drink too much and tend to lose several lbs. I lose even more weight when I can't keep anything down. If you're worried about it, don't because, it shouldn't be a typical lose.
  • deannabyrnenl
    Options
    Thanks all. Makes total sense that it's water weight. I hate to see it come back on though :(