What percentage of carbs/fat/protein works for you?

Options
Arexxx
Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
I keep fiddling with the settings in my food diary goals, upping the protein, lowering fat, adjusting carbs ect. My weight loss has stalled a bit so I'm just seeing if I adjust some things it will speed up a little.

What are your protein/carbs/fat percentages? :)

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I keep fiddling with the settings in my food diary goals, upping the protein, lowering fat, adjusting carbs ect. My weight loss has stalled a bit so I'm just seeing if I adjust some things it will speed up a little.

Use trial and error.

I consume 60g Fat, 375g Carbs, and 230g protein per day. That works for me but will not work for you. For starters you can stop using percentage's.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    A lot of people accept the best method as working out what amount of protein you require (particularly if lifting regularly) and the amount of fat you should be taking in. Then you fill the remainder of your calories with carbs.

I am cutting at the moment, trying to get rid of this stubborn fat, so I've decreased my carb intake. I try to get 2 to 2.5 x body weight (in kgs) of protein, 0.8 x body weight of fat and the rest in carbs.

This works out to be about a 40P/30C/30F split.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I go for balance. 35% carbs/30% fat/35% protein. Has worked well the last 77lbs.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

For some normal recommendations, and how to translate that to the % method that MFP uses, use the spreadsheet linked in this post, and after filling in your stats, go to the Macro's tab for application of those rec's.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/750920-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones

The method will also get you out of your plateau.
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options

For some normal recommendations, and how to translate that to the % method that MFP uses, use the spreadsheet linked in this post, and after filling in your stats, go to the Macro's tab for application of those rec's.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/750920-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones

The method will also get you out of your plateau.

Thank you :)
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I set mine at 40-30-30 (160g carbs, 120g protein & 20g fat) as that is suitable for my body type.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I set mine at 40-30-30 (160g carbs, 120g protein & 20g fat) as that is suitable for my body type.

Doesn't that ratio make you fat?

ATj6Z.jpg
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    40-30-30 is a good place to start if you're just picking numbers from thin air- works well for a lot of people.

I've found for me a little lower carbs and higher fat leaves me more satiated, so I do 35c-30P-35F, but on longer-run days I up the carb percentage.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options

Nope not for me at least. Right now I'm at 19.5% body fat.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Nope not for me at least. Right now I'm at 19.5% body fat.

okay, what macro % makes a person lose or gain weight?

Stop being so antagonistic. You know there's no % that makes you gain or lose weight. Weight loss and gain is all about calories. Sufficient protein prevents muscle loss, but mainly the macro divisions are about giving you the highest degree of satiety for your calories- the hunger curbing "bang for your buck". The higher the satiety, the easier it is to stick to your calorie goals, the easier it is to lose weight.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    For me 20-25% protein, 50% carbs, and 25-30% fat works
    I eat minimum of 140 g of protein per day (my weight in lbs)
  • Love_flowers
    Love_flowers Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I don't track them. And I don't care because I still lose weight.

Life is too short. :laugh:
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I try to do 40% protein, 30% fat, 30% carbs... my fats come from nuts, avocados and some of the proteins I eat.

I don't really focus on it much except for Protein. Protein is my friend at age 54.
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm 35% carbs 35% protein and 30%fat
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I try to hit 200g protein a day and that works out closest at 35% on the settings here, with 30% fat and 35% carbs.
  • BritishVegGirl
    BritishVegGirl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Im the opposite im on (%) 10 protein, 55 carbs and 35 fat , and that works out at 40g protein per day.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    55% carbs, 20% protein, 25% fat here :smile:
  • noojim
    noojim Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I aim for 10% carbs, 20% protein and 70% fat, which works great for me, although in practice I tend to get a bit more protein and a bit less fat.
  • loon54
    Options
    This is one of my BIGGEST questions. Myfitnesspal is saying I should only consume 84 grams of protein, and 309 carbs a day. Well I have been losing weight, but not following this. I always go over my protein intake. I even tried to go that low 1 day, and almost did but still went over by 20 grams, and I felt like crap. I weigh 240, 5'11, I do strength training 3 days a week, and I do cardio 3 days a week. I just started this transition 2 months ago. I need opinions and advice, cause this can not be right on how much protein I should assume a day, and if its not right, that means my other macros are off as well.. Help Plzz!!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    im 40% protein, 35% fat 25% carb...seems to be working..

.ps you need to go in and manually change your macros to what you need to be at, not what MFP suggests, this way you can find what works for you. I had to change mine a few times til I got it right.