Stoves - Induction vs. Regular Electric?

Options
sunnygirl19
sunnygirl19 Posts: 60 Member
Doing a kitchen remodel and I am looking at the Induction Ranges, the ones that heat only the pan or pot and not the whole element. Anyone have experience with this? I have read review after review but I need real reviews! LOL

Replies

• AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    We are mid-remodel, I'm going with gas for the better control.

BTW, make sure your budget covers a lot of restaurant meals and carryout. This microwave/hot plate thing is for the birds.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Gas is the way to go if you have the connections.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Induction ranges are great, but before buying one make sure your cookware is suitable to use on an induction range. That would be the deciding factor for me.
  • sunnygirl19
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, gas unfortunatly is NOT a option! Also, cookware is getting old and can be replaced at any time!
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, gas unfortunatly is NOT a option! Also, cookware is getting old and can be replaced at any time!

Induction for sure.

I love mine
  • sunnygirl19
    Options
    We are mid-remodel, I'm going with gas for the better control.

BTW, make sure your budget covers a lot of restaurant meals and carryout. This microwave/hot plate thing is for the birds.

LOL Yes, I imagine eating out will be less of a headache than a hotplate!!!
  • sunnygirl19
    Options

Induction for sure.

I love mine

What brand did you go with?
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

Induction for sure.

I love mine

What brand did you go with?

http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=SpecPage&Sku=PS978STSS
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    Induction can be a great choice. But as AZKristi mentioned it then becomes about the pots and pans.

Induction relies on magnets/magnetism and if your current cookware is glass or aluminum you are out of luck. Stainless steel and cast iron cookware can be quite costly and should be figured into your budget when deciding what stove to get.

There are places you can find a special induction plate which you place over the induction burner and will allow you to use non induction cookware but they can sometimes be difficult to find.

If you have the budget go Induction!
  • swisswife
    swisswife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I haven't got one yet but we are getting induction for our new build. I have seen them in use and they are the 2nd best to gas (which I can't have ) IMO.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I think it would be annoying having to have only ferrous cookware. A lot of my cookware is aluminum. I guess you can get an induction disc, but that sorta defeats the purpose. That said, If I couldn't have gas I would consider induction since I hate electric so much.
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I have a Kenmore Induction cooktop and wouldn't trade it in for anything. I have cooked on gas at friends and my induction cooktop is faster and has more control. When you drop the heat, it does so immediately. I don't use a kettle anymore for tea...it takes too long. I have boiling water for tea in less than a minute. Forget the regular electric even with a halogen element, the induction beats them all. And yes, I did have to replace my cookware but it was worth it. Love, love, love my induction cooktop.
  • litarider
    Options
    Regular electric is the pits. I have cooked on both gas and regular electric. Haven't used induction but I understand that it's better than gas. It cannot be worse than regular electric. The only thing I can say about my current regular electric stove is that I can customize my broil temps.

If it's time to replace your cookware anyway, then go for induction over the regular electric, especially if you cook seriously or think you're going in that direction.
  • sunnygirl19
    Options
    Induction it is!!! Thanks everyone!
  • Eric_7788
    Options
    YOU CANT COOK JIFFY POP POPCORN ON INDUCTIONS COOK TOPS :sad:
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    YOU CANT COOK JIFFY POP POPCORN ON INDUCTIONS COOK TOPS :sad:

Go camping! ;)